what are my options?

Hi, I'm an EMT in MD and am heading to school in the fall to become a Paramedic.

i wasn't sure what forum to put this on so i figured general would be the best.

I've done as much research as i can find on different jobs for paramedics after school (911, SWAT, military etc.) but i was just wondering what are some of the potential job opportunities i might be overlooking? i've heard of different agencies(such as the secret service) requiring some of their field agents to become paramedics, but what other job potentials are there? i've had it drilled in my head since day one in the Fire Dept. that if i want a good job, a lot of good field experience is required. but everybody in my FD talks about how 911 is the best choice as a paramedic. i'm just trying to get different perspectives and find out what the true diversity of the occupation is. thanks in advance.

Anyone of those "other" jobs as a medic won't be your primary function. They will be part of your role in what you are doing. You will never lots more training. You will probably need other training before hand to even get to the training you want to get trained on. You will not get hired out of medic school to be on swat team as a medic. You won't get hired out of medic school to work with the secret service, FBI, CIA, anything else.

Your options are, working on an ambulance or in an ER as an ER tech. Further training and education are required for anything else.

Just as a mention, when the POTUS or other foreign dignitaries visit NYC, it makes the only time, aside from when there's a "ride-along", when there's a 3 person crew on an ambulance: a Secret Service Agent, and 2 "vetted" Paramedics, dedicated to that official.

Anyone of those "other" jobs as a medic won't be your primary function. They will be part of your role in what you are doing. You will never lots more training. You will probably need other training before hand to even get to the training you want to get trained on. You will not get hired out of medic school to be on swat team as a medic. You won't get hired out of medic school to work with the secret service, FBI, CIA, anything else.

Your options are, working on an ambulance or in an ER as an ER tech. Further training and education are required for anything else.

i'm aware i'm not gonna jump out of medic school and run straight into another job. but i know quite a few medics where after a few years they absolutely can't stand riding on an ambulance. i'm just curious what other options i have as far as what people are doing with their paramedic. also, i've always been taught never stop training. doing different occupations would allow me to see a more diverse spectrum of events. i have no expectations to jump out of scool right into a job with any type of agency other than possibly a 911 field. like something that i was thinking about last night was like a response team for natural events. i know they hire firefighters to go out and fight large forest fires when they happen, are there any similar types of positions like that on the medical side?

In all honesty, man, you are getting way, WAAAY ahead of yourself. And this is coming from the guy who's usually known for getting ahead of himself around here.

Take a deep breath and chill. You need to get your paramedic first, then get your Bachelor's in a relevant field (the sciences, management, etc.), and maybe even your RN as well if you want to expand your knowledge of medicine. From there, you can start having a look around and seeing what your options are--and by then, you should have the resume and the experience to reasonably expect to do anything more than ride on an ambulance.

• Like 1

I think Bieber's on the right track. Finish paramedic school and work on getting a few years of solid 911 experience under your belt. That'll serve as a good basis for other paramedic jobs out there. Pretty much anything else you're going to want to do as a paramedic is going to require at least five years of solid paramedic experience in a busy 911 system. So you've got plenty of time to figure out what you'll to do next.

However, that being said, if you really want to do other jobs in medicine you need something other than a paramedic certification. A nursing license will take you many, many places. Nurse practitioner and PA will take you more places. Physician will take you pretty much anywhere. If I'm reading you correctly, you're really not going to be able to do much other than EMS with a paramedic cert. EMS education is substandard within the medical field and doesn't really account for much. So don't hold out hopes for it getting you in to too much other than an ambulance.

Keeping the educational preparation in mind, make sure your paramedic program will offer a degree. It is much more important than you think to get a degree in paramedicine. (Yes, even in Maryland... and I know what kind of ribbing you're going to get for pursuing a degree. Ignore it!) Don't skimp on this. I know several paramedic programs in MD offer degrees. Earn it!

Where in MD?

eta: punctuation error correction

Edited by paramedicmike

Agreed on the education. Unfortunately your fire background has done for you what it does for many. It's gets you thinking about being a hero before you're even able to spell/capitalize/punctuate. It is vital that you first and foremost choose to present yourself as an adult if you want to be taken seriously and given adult advice. I'm not trying to be unkind...just the opposite in fact.

I'm truly surprised and impressed though that those on your volly squad (I know you're volly as you can't present yourself in such a grade school manner as a professional) have made it clear that doing "something" and paramedic medicine means that you don't really do paramedic medicine.

If you want to be a cop, go and be a cop, a hosemonkey, ditto. If you want to be a paramedic then you need to stop shopping for 4 month medic schools and choose to commit yourself to a degree. If you want to be something else but 'have to' be a medic first..then I truly don't know how to guide you. Not because I think it's terrible, but because it's just completely foreign to how I think, and how I've always thought since deciding on this path.

A few choices that you've missed...Flight, as some of our members here do. Remote, as I an many others here do. But until you become a real, honest to God, tried and tested paramedic with respect for medicine, all of those things will be outside of your reach..and least for the most part.

Good luck man...

Dwayne

O.K. What everyone else posted is true. Youare not going to get hired right out of medic school as a SWAT medic, USSS medic, or anything else "glorious".

There are some jobs overseas as a medic, you can also work as an oil rig medic, that was one job I should have taken years ago... But seriously there are tons of Industrial medic jobs,as well as jobs in amusement parks, etc... just get out and look..... good luck

O.K. What everyone else posted is true. Youare not going to get hired right out of medic school as a SWAT medic, USSS medic, or anything else "glorious".

There are some jobs overseas as a medic, you can also work as an oil rig medic, that was one job I should have taken years ago... But seriously there are tons of Industrial medic jobs,as well as jobs in amusement parks, etc... just get out and look..... good luck

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.