Who here uses the Glascow Coma Scale?

Jimmytwoshoes

So, for those who do report the score, do you not report it with the separate values?

Around here I only ever hear people reporting the total number. Though maybe I'll start giving each number separately.

If it's 14 or 15, I don't break it down. Anything less than that, I do so that it is meaningful.

Yeah, see...that makes sense. But I'm still unclear why giving those numbers (though I understand that you are required to) makes more sense, or is more clear than a description of the patients condition? Some seem to treat it like a stroke screen, where if you have a certain number of qualifiers then your confidence in a significant CVA can be high. But the same weighted value doesn't seem to apply here.

And when I say 'seems' or 'seem' I mean that. People that are so much smarter than me that I shouldn't be allowed to carry their bags have been using the GCS for ages and seem to feel that it has value so it's likely that it's my own ignorance that fails to find it good for....anything really.

Dwayne

Yeah, see...that makes sense. But I'm still unclear why giving those numbers (though I understand that you are required to) makes more sense, or is more clear than a description of the patients condition? Some seem to treat it like a stroke screen, where if you have a certain number of qualifiers then your confidence in a significant CVA can be high. But the same weighted value doesn't seem to apply here.

And when I say 'seems' or 'seem' I mean that. People that are so much smarter than me that I shouldn't be allowed to carry their bags have been using the GCS for ages and seem to feel that it has value so it's likely that it's my own ignorance that fails to find it good for....anything really.

Dwayne

In the grand scheme, I would have to say that the number is provided in our radio reports and patient care reports for speed. If I'm doing a handoff, obviously I'm not going to tell the GCS unless there has been a significant change in score and, even then, I'll just tell give the actual change in patient condition.

I believe that the GCS is a very important part of an assessment, especially in a head injury patient, and my product idea would completely simplify the process of assessing for GCS and keeping an accurate score.

I'm curious as to what, in your substandard training as an EMT, lead you to think this?

Before you get all bent out of shape, understand that this isn't a slam on you personally. It's a slam on the EMT provider level as a whole. EMT education in the US is woefully inadequate and doesn't really prepare anyone for anything even remotely medicine related. Don't confuse contempt for the system with contempt for you as an individual.

Our ePCR won't complete the form as final, if a patient was found, treated, released, dead, etc.. Unless the GCS is filled in. Of course if no patient is found, it doesn't show up on the screen.

It shows up as # (word) / # (word) / # (word) on a drop down menu. So, I just make a habit to always note what's required to complete the form. It will save it either way, but it has a "Preliminary Report" watermark all over the background if it's not "locked and complete".

So, for those who do report the score, do you not report it with the separate values?

Every narrative I write has the GCS for example GCS of 15 (4,5,6) in that format

I'm curious as to what, in your substandard training as an EMT, lead you to think this?

Before you get all bent out of shape, understand that this isn't a slam on you personally. It's a slam on the EMT provider level as a whole. EMT education in the US is woefully inadequate and doesn't really prepare anyone for anything even remotely medicine related. Don't confuse contempt for the system with contempt for you as an individual.

Only what I have learned through the courses that I've taken, and reading EMS mags and such. I don't have very much "real experience" with the GCS score, so all of this information is really helpful in finding out if I'm on the right track with the idea that I had. Since the only way I have to experience how medics actually USE the GCS is in my local area, I figured this forum would be a great place to gain more knowledge of how it is actually used by many different people in different parts of the country so that I can make a more informed decision on wether I was on the right track with a good idea, or just pissing in the wind. All of the comments have been great and very much appreciated, and I can respect your opinion on the EMT provider level. I do not take it to heart.

and I can respect your opinion on the EMT provider level. I do not take it to heart.

Wow finally a thick skinned new member. Seems to be a rarity in these parts these days.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.