12 week accelerated program Versus 2 yr Paramedic course.

You will never hear me saying that I'm learning everything i need to know. The funny thing is, this topic has peaked my interest in paramedic degree programs. I don't know if it would work, but I do think that education is important, and I'm not trying to downplay that at all. But it should be obvious that different people have different opportunities. When I worked in Kentucky there was only one college with a paramedic degree, and it was over an hour drive away. Instead of choosing one of the short programs locally, I decided to wait. Because of the low quality medics they turned out. ( most never passed registry anyway). I'm just a firm believer that if you want something bad enough, you find a way to do it. And that applies across the board. If I want to be a good medic ( and i do) then within a quality program i will work my tail off for a year and become a good medic.showoff.gif

You claim that 'education is important', yet you advocate shortcuts. You can't have it both ways!

The college I'm currently attending is still in the 'quarter system' as opposed to the 'semester system'. I pull an entire semester in 10 weeks, and I know first hand how 'rushed' everything is! It's absolutely insanity to think that an entire course that takes over a year to complete can be crammed into 12 weeks. I don't care if your ass is in a seat for twelve hours a day, five days a week or not. It's just not enough time.

The increased time that you have exposure to the material, the better your chances of retaining it with some understanding of the biomechanics behind it. Those 'Patch Mill' schools will not offer (or require) you to have ANY additional classes in anatomy and physiology. This course alone is an absolute MUST to understand how and why the medications we give are successful, and the effects they have on the body.

These types of courses (the 'Patch Mill') are not only doing a disservice to you, but enabling you to do disservice to the patients you treat.

After I started my 12 month program I found a lot of information about accelerated programs. Honestly if the didactic hours are the same, and they don't skimp on clinicals... If you can do it, do it. There is a program that i believe is 100 days straight? 5 days of 12 hour classes and 2 days of 12 hour clinicals. It sounds like death to me, especially because there is no working during this time.

There is similar flack over the medic to RN bridge program. (which I'm considering within a few years.)

If I had time and money I would LOVE to take a 2 year paramedic degree program. But I am poor and rushed rolleyes2.gif I don't feel like a shorter class makes a person any less of a medic. After all they still have to learn the material to pass right?

Not only are you advocating a shortcut to Medic, you're also advocating a shortcut to higher licensure as well. As long as you support such tactics, you will not be taken seriously as a professional in the healthcare field. This isn't a field where 'speed is what you need' to get through it! People’s lives are in your hands, and they DESERVE to have the person who holds their lives in the balance to be as knowledgeable as possible!

As far as the ‘being poor’ is concerned, that’s what something called ‘financial aid’ is for! You may not get a ‘free ride’, but any assistance is better than none at all. As far as being ‘rushed’, there is no ‘maximum age limit’ on becoming a Paramedic. I’m currently 46 and working on my Medic for the first time. As long as you can do the job, the age shouldn’t be an issue.

Additionally, with a college degree, it shows the future employer that you have the desire and the drive to stick to a project to its completion. Shortcuts only serve to show that you’ve got no time or interest to dedicate to getting the job done correctly.

No one ever said that the path to becoming a good medic was easy or quick. If it were easy and quick, then everybody would be a good medic.

Yes, EMS may be a ‘youngster’ compared to the field of medicine, and when compared to public safety (Police and Fire), but it’s been around long enough to be able to stand on its own two feet! In order for the profession to advance, it has to make some serious adaptations to the changing world around it. Part of those changes include the elimination of the ‘shortcuts’ and quit catering to the ‘lowest common denominator’!

The only thing that you’re proving is that you don’t have the desire to make this a profession. Andrew Carnegie said: "Anything in life worth having is worth working for.", This also applies to the field of prehospital medical care .

• Like 2

I sent 11/10 and email explaining that a ton of the people that cause me to keep coming back to the City posted in this thread...I would be flattered if I had all of you jumping on my opinion!! I hope he comes to see it the same...

Excellent thread everyone. We maybe could have walked a little softer...but he didn't need it. He'll be back here, and I think he's going to be worthwhile...

Dwayne

Take which ever course is best for you. You have to put in your best effort: be humble. Listen to others. As long as it has bee accredited by your governing body then feel confident that its a legitimate course. Be receptive to criticism. The course is just the start. They're so much to learn in Medicine; Paramedicine barely scratches the surface. All the best....

You've been around here long enough to have watched this very topic unfold in the chatroom several times over (not to mention how many hundreds of times in the forums) that this shouldn't even be a question you should bother asking.[\quote]

I know that lone but I like to see the different view points of the newbies that are running around here. Of the 2yr is the best because I seen 2 people go in the 12 week program and only one of them I would actually trust as a medic if I was in need of a medic.

You absolutely need to take the 2 year medic program...especially if you are going to consider the bridge to nursing program. Even though people say that the stuff you learn in paramedic school won't help you in nursing school, truth is that all of that training will help you. I have friends that have done the bridge and say that all of their EMS training helped them get through RN school. But the thing is, you still have to take all of the nursing pre-rec courses and meet the grade requirements. That still includes your full year of anatomy and physiology (and all the pre-recs for those classes).

I start paramedic school in August and have already started buying the textbooks and it seems like way too much information to learn in just 12 weeks...I don't know of any school here that even offers that. I have seen a 10 week EMT-B program, but never a medic program that is less than 18 months. So go for the longer program...it will serve you much better in the long run, especially if you are going to do the bridge to nursing. And, despite what people here have said, the bridge to nursing is not cheating yourself or your patients if you have a good foundation going into it. The RN programs here are separated into 4 semesters...the first 2 consist of review of the anatomy and physiology, pharmacology, dosage calculations, and introductory concepts of nursing...All of which are available to take before you actually get into the program if they don't fill up with nursing students. I took advantage of that and took all of those courses already, so for me to take up a seat in the RN program for the first 2 semesters that someone else could benefit from seems silly. So when we do the bridge here, you get placed into the third semester where there will be new information and skills are introduced. So, if you go into it with a good foundation by taking these courses before hand, I honestly see no problem with doing the nursing bridge later...after you take the 2 year medic program and start bettering your skills as a medic. But that's just a personal opinion. Good luck in whatever you choose!

Please do not allow me to make an example of a homeostatic imbalace with poor cognitive perfusion who carries round a cookbook of protocols for retards out of you.

Go to the two year program.

Oh man, he's been Googling 'big medical words' again...... :fish::wtf::pc:

Ok, i'm currently in a two year medic program, and we dont have the option for an accelerated program here. My advice would be look at your scope of practice you would be practicing under as a medic. In 12 weeks will you be able to fully understand all your medications and disease processes, as well as all the anatomy and physical skills. Our program already feels incredibly condensed and I cant imagine there being less time.

Ok, i'm currently in a two year medic program, and we dont have the option for an accelerated program here. My advice would be look at your scope of practice you would be practicing under as a medic. In 12 weeks will you be able to fully understand all your medications and disease processes, as well as all the anatomy and physical skills. Our program already feels incredibly condensed and I cant imagine there being less time.

Yeah man, I'm with you. My entire time in school I studied a minimum of 5hrs/day outside of school. Every single day. And I spent the entire time thinking, "Man..if they would just take a break for three weeks, not add anything new, I could get caught up!" But they didn't slow down, and I did catch up regardless. But yeah, one of my preceptor Docs said, "I know it's like trying to drink from a fire-hose, but keep with it."

+1 to Mobey for policing and educating in one pass.

Dwayne

Edited to add text in bold.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.