Disengaged and Lazy...

HERBIE1

Richard I agree. And I an not condoning what she did, BUT she did not threaten anyone, did not mention any names or even the school she worked for. So she is most likely protected by free speech. I am familiar with this district, (since I am local), and it is notorious for being a terrible district as far as kid's behaviors. I do believe that this is a growing problem of the children of this generation, and does need to be addressed. That being said, a blog is not an appropriate place to address this. If she has that big of a problem with how she is treated as a teacher, she should look for a different profession.

Richard I agree. And I an not condoning what she did, BUT she did not threaten anyone, did not mention any names or even the school she worked for. So she is most likely protected by free speech. I am familiar with this district, (since I am local), and it is notorious for being a terrible district as far as kid's behaviors. I do believe that this is a growing problem of the children of this generation, and does need to be addressed. That being said, a blog is not an appropriate place to address this. If she has that big of a problem with how she is treated as a teacher, she should look for a different profession.

Well, most larger cities have areas and schools that are notoriously bad. Sorry, but teachers in those areas should get combat pay. They are required to be cops, bouncers, parole officers, drug counselors, shrinks, social workers, and if they have any time left over- oh yeah-MAYBE teach a class or 2.

Teachers get a bad rap.

That being said, a blog is not an appropriate place to address this. If she has that big of a problem with how she is treated as a teacher, she should look for a different profession.

Why not? How else should it be addressed? If the blog in question was nothing more than a place to blow off steam so she *could* focus on being a good teacher then what's the problem? That's no different from people coming here to complain about calls or patients or coworkers or even family and friends.

The posts in question, per Ms Munroe, were close to a year old. They were anonymous with no names, locations or identifying factors present. She did not post her full name. They were also included in a variety of other posts that were designed and intended to keep her friends and family up to date with her life.

Also, if, as her lawyer claims, the school district had no policy concerning internet usage on or off the job then she should be clear on these charges. The only way I could see them succeeding in terminating her employment is if she blogged on a school computer on school time. Then it becomes a misappropriation of school resources.

Nothing that was done here is any different from keeping a journal or talking amongst friends or coworkers. It's not different from posting here at the City.

Besides, it might be a good set of lessons for the students to learn. First, not everyone is going to like you. Second, you just might, in fact, be a douchebag high school student. Third, sometimes life isn't fair and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Lastly, what a great lesson to teach these kids about free speech. We all have free speech... except when we don't.

edit for link failure.

Edited by paramedicmike

Why not? How else should it be addressed? If the blog in question was nothing more than a place to blow off steam so she *could* focus on being a good teacher then what's the problem? That's no different from people coming here to complain about calls or patients or coworkers or even family and friends.

The posts in question, per Ms Munroe, were close to a year old. They were anonymous with no names, locations or identifying factors present. She did not post her full name. They were also included in a variety of other posts that were designed and intended to keep her friends and family up to date with her life.

Also, if, as her lawyer claims, the school district had no policy concerning internet usage on or off the job then she should be clear on these charges. The only way I could see them succeeding in terminating her employment is if she blogged on a school computer on school time. Then it becomes a misappropriation of school resources.

Nothing that was done here is any different from keeping a journal or talking amongst friends or coworkers. It's not different from posting here at the City.

Besides, it might be a good set of lessons for the students to learn. First, not everyone is going to like you. Second, you just might, in fact, be a douchebag high school student. Third, sometimes life isn't fair and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Lastly, what a great lesson to teach these kids about free speech. We all have free speech... except when we don't.

edit for link failure.

Well said.

+1

Dennis Leary said it the best on his No Cure For Cancer Tour

"Life's A Bitch Get A Fuckin Helmet!"

Thats the problem with kids today, they all want to be popularl; folks tell them they are special,pretty, athletic, ect; no one can tell them what to do. What ever happened to the days when kids weren't popular (you made friends with other kids), you were not the prettiest (you excepted yourself and moved on) you didnt make the athletic team (wow shocking you are not good, better hit the books and yea not everyone got a "feel good" trophy) and a whole other list of things that have turned into mambe pambe land.

I see nothing wrong with what this teacher did. Plus her lawyer has a huge precident case to go by. That EMT that spout off aboit her boss and was terminated but was reinstated after a judge agreed it falls under workers rights laws and free and protected speech laws.

Hopefully everything turns out well.