What are we?

Here in Ab, we still use EMT & Paramedic.

In Sask, they use "Paramedic" for all.

To the public, Sask has the superior service, since they are all Paramedics. In fact: the Sk gov't may not invest any money to further enhance the ambulance service since there is already "Paramedics" in every community, unlike it's neighbor Alberta which still has EMT's.

Get the picture? It seems good on the surface.... but it is abused by those who understand it.

EXACTLY !

If far fewer words that I would have used to explain, following that, one is forced to ask the question: Just who is responsible for educating and promoting this profession ?

The media ? (rhetorical question)

Regulatory bodies ? (although most are "too" busy regulating) :devilish:

The Government ? <gasp>

or

A professional association tied closely to a benevolent society as most unfortunately this venue is about the only time any media lip service is given and without union ties affiliation.

For news reporting EMS or whatever .. it just does't matter because to me, they are still saying "Rushed the Patient to the Hospital" this is all the media knows, sensationalism and the shock and awe factor. When they start saying EMS rushed to the scene and stabilised the patient, then we will know then a positive change has taken place.

cheers

I have seen "Emergency Responders" and "Emergency Workers", identifying us, and, as the EMS Command of the FDNY is, well, a part of the Fire Department, simply as "da fiyah depahtment" (apologies to the folks in Boston for the bad imitation accent). There's also "Ambulance Crews".

Once in a while, I actually have heard "EMS Workers" or "EMS Crews".

It's unfortunate that there is no correct definition for EMS Providers within the layworld. It is what it is. If you get all bent out of shape about it; then choose a profession with a correct title which will be illustrated by all.

As long as you know; it really doesn't matter. I get called EMT all the time. I don't correct them because my salary says otherwise. Even if you didn't want to go down that route; then correct them and spend wasteful time, trying to get them to say it right and understand what they are saying. On a call, many do not care; most think the fireman (no offense) did so much by giving oxygen via non-rebreather mask and obtaining vital signs. I get there and throw the monitor (MI going on) and a line (mind you; the patient has been iterating that she's a tough stick); give nitro, aspirin, and labetolol (Hudson Valley NY). They become better and did better (PCI) at the hospital as a result. Do I get a high five? Where's my thank-you? I don't care; neither should my "EMS Workers." As long as my check clears; its all good. I've been at an institution where it didn't and I used my personal resources to keep my department afloat but thats another topic. So, check clearing is pretty much on my top of the list for my employer to fulfill.

Sticks and stones people; remember? We've all been called: Ambulance driver (even though you're on the passenger seat), the ambulance is here (even though its on the street and your on the 10th floor), EMS Worker, Emergency Guys (And your partner is a woman or you're the woman), Technicians, Rescue Workers, Medical Personel, etc. It's all good; they really mean us no harm. I mean they are right. Its a nice topic for all of us to ponder with but not one which I will have my dissertation on (No offense). Please don't take this to heart. If you do, you might displace your fustrations and I might have to start the UnemployedEMTCity.com website (Just kidding; I hope).

Transport monkey :) In all honesty it doesn't bug me if they call me first responder, paramedic or ambulance driver some people just don't know the difference and that's okay with me as long as my coworkers do and don't expect me to perform als things as a box provider

Transport monkey :) In all honesty it doesn't bug me if they call me first responder, paramedic or ambulance driver some people just don't know the difference and that's okay with me as long as my coworkers do and don't expect me to perform als things as a box provider

I strongly disagree. Nothing personal, but I am not two thirds of the way to finishing an Alberta EMT-P program (or ACP for the rest of Canada) so that I can be called an "Ambulance Driver." I don't even like being called an "EMT" because the majority of people are thinking of an advanced first aider when they use that title. I accept the EMT title for the time being because the Alberta public is at least beginning to understand the difference between ALS and BLS by using that title.

Personally my favourite titles used were the old British Columbia titles. Emergency Medical Assistant (EMA) levels I, II, and III.

Simple honest and direct. An EMA II could do more than an EMA I and an EMA III could do more than an EMA II. A developed Critical Care level could easily have been referred to as an EMA IV. Again. Simple, honest and direct without insulting the profession.

• Like 1

In the US; there are many titles the media and/or the laypublic calls EMS Providers. Its all fine. It is not a big deal.

In the US, many don't want to see change in the education & curriculum. When echoes of having Associates Degree only Paramedic Programs with a Bachelor Degree option; most cringe. When proposals of hours added back to the EMT; many scream bloody murder. Its tough when some people in EMS, don't want to better themselves. When to some, added education and training is unnecessary. They find any excuse to resist it with far-fetched rationale. So how can we expect the layworld to know what to call us?

I know I opened myself up for criticism but its mostly true.

• Like 1

I would prefer paramedic. When I was an EMT-B I would often times introduce the crew as Paramedics when entering the house. I just find that most outside of EMS do not understand what an EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-... is. It really doesn't matter anyways. A doctor is a doctor, a nurse is a nurse, a paramedic is a paramedic. I like the idea that the article presented about different levels of Paramedic. Heck even many of the nurses don't understand the difference between BLS/ALS, EMT/EMTP when I go to ask them info on a transfer.

When it boils down to it as long as the media (or whoever) doesn't call us ambulance drivers I am fine. I am still an EMT. EMT before the P (even after the NR changes it), just like BLS before ALS. I would love to see us adopt a more eaiser to understand level names but I don't see it as a priority.

In the US; there are many titles the media and/or the laypublic calls EMS Providers. Its all fine. It is not a big deal.

In the US, many don't want to see change in the education & curriculum. When echoes of having Associates Degree only Paramedic Programs with a Bachelor Degree option; most cringe. When proposals of hours added back to the EMT; many scream bloody murder. Its tough when some people in EMS, don't want to better themselves. When to some, added education and training is unnecessary. They find any excuse to resist it with far-fetched rationale. So how can we expect the layworld to know what to call us?

I know I opened myself up for criticism but its mostly true.

No criticism at all. We keep asking to be respected, to get a seat at the table with the big boys, yet as you say, so many are resistant to do the things necessary to take us to the next level.

Sadly, dumbing down is the current trend- in elementary and high schools, colleges, and even specialized areas such as ours.

Around here, years ago there was a city college sponsored paramedic program that initially started out as an Associates Degree. It was the only program around that offered a degree, and the only reason I did not attend there is because I already had my Bachelor's Degree. Problem was, they could not get enough minorities through it to graduation. They knocked down some of the requirements(not as many general education classes) and it became a "certificate" program. Same problem. Now it's simply the paramedic program- nothing more, and they can better "help" the students who fall behind. Point is, there are major obstacles in raising the educational requirements to become a provider. In some areas, political considerations are the overriding factor for nearly every such decision.

Sad, but such is life.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.