Pocket Guides/References

Bieber

Hi everyone. I did a couple of searches and didn't find any topics about this, so I thought I'd start one. I've gotten my NREMT cert already and I should be getting my state cert tomorrow or the beginning of next week after which I'll begin practicing as a paramedic, and I decided to start working on a little pocket guide to carry around with me because, being a newbie, I'm paranoid about forgetting something and wanted something smaller than my protocol book to keep in my shirt pocket to double check things with. So far, I've included a list of the medications we carry on the truck (and highlighted the ones we can carry by standing order and their dosages), my triage and transport criteria, an APGAR, rule of nines and GCS. I feel comfortable with most of that stuff, and maybe it seems a little subpar but I'm not perfect and until I've been doing this long enough that I can spout it all out backwards and forwards it seemed prudent to keep a reference with me.

My question to you all is do you carry pocket references/guides? I've got a couple that I've picked up at the bookstore but they're all pretty bulky and have a lot more information than I really need or already know. What guides do you use? Which do you prefer? Have you made your own guides before and if so, what did you include in them?

If you need a guide, you have not studied enough. ACLS does not require you to memorize or know too many drugs, if you cant calculate drips without looking at a guide, I wouldn't allow you to practice on my bus. No offense, I am just particular about you knowing what you need to know, and I do not think it is very reassuring for the patient to watch you look up stuff in a book or guide to determine how to treat them.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

I don't feel uncomfortable with ACLS or drips, I think I could probably spout that stuff off backwards and forwards in my sleep and I think cardiac arrests are probably some of the easiest calls to run. It's mostly my protocol specific stuff, for example just for adults we have seven different protocols for fluid boluses that vary based on dose and on the specific protocol we're working under.

Also, I'd like to clarify, that I do feel competent in everything that I'm required to be competent in and I made it throughout my internship without needing any guides or references. However, as a new paramedic, I am, like I said, paranoid about making sure I know what I'm doing and having a resource to double check myself with because I will no longer have a preceptor in the back to double check my work. I'm big on double and triple checking the drugs/treatments and dosages I give with my partner and with my available resources, which is why I'm making out a small little reference guide to carry with me. This isn't something I plan on pulling out on a cardiac arrest (I know how to run those), but rather more for those stable code yellows.

http://www.tarascon.com/products/?bc=9305-0

I have this; its small and it tells you almost all the medications on the market; FDA approved. It has sections on BCLS/ACLS/PALS. Its geared for the MD but I've been using this brand of pocket guide for medication for 10 years.

Luckily, in NYC; Medics must refresh every 3 years on the Protocols and its a 100 question exam (pay $25). Plus, all NYC Continuing Education (we have to do 72 hours within a 3 year span) given always re-introduces the correlating Protocol(s) in the lecture. So the Protocols are pretty fresh in our heads.

This pocket guide is awesome and inexpensive. They do have this on ebay for less; that's where I purchased mine. Good luck...

I completely understand wanting to have a quick reference guide. I don't recall ever using mine on a call but I like knowing I have it in case I need it.

I have found it helpful when I don't know what a medication is prescribed for...

I use the Informed Brand EMS field guide. ALS version.

When I first started I made my own little guide with phone numbers to all the area ER's and all the hospital codes. That didnt last long though. Lol

• Like 1

http://www.tarascon....ucts/?bc=9305-0

I have this; its small and it tells you almost all the medications on the market; FDA approved. It has sections on BCLS/ACLS/PALS. Its geared for the MD but I've been using this brand of pocket guide for medication for 10 years.

Luckily, in NYC; Medics must refresh every 3 years on the Protocols and its a 100 question exam (pay $25). Plus, all NYC Continuing Education (we have to do 72 hours within a 3 year span) given always re-introduces the correlating Protocol(s) in the lecture. So the Protocols are pretty fresh in our heads.

This pocket guide is awesome and inexpensive. They do have this on ebay for less; that's where I purchased mine. Good luck...

Thanks for the link. I have the old one that I carry with me, I didn't realize they already had the 2011 edition out. I'm not sure if there's ANY sort of protocol testing at my service (as far as I know there isn't) and unfortunately our protocols aren't the clearest or the most progressive at the moment. However we just got a new medical director and I heard there should be some revisions in the upcoming future, so hopefully that'll fix some of the existing issues.

I completely understand wanting to have a quick reference guide. I don't recall ever using mine on a call but I like knowing I have it in case I need it.

I have found it helpful when I don't know what a medication is prescribed for...

I use the Informed Brand EMS field guide. ALS version.

When I first started I made my own little guide with phone numbers to all the area ER's and all the hospital codes. That didnt last long though. Lol

Thanks. I actually use my pharmacopoeia on calls quite a bit, if I don't know what a medication my patient's taking is for or whatever, and my idea of making a little pocket reference came about after I started writing down the local hospital info on some pocket cards. I usually keep my protocol book in the back of the ambulance, but having something a little bit smaller is more convenient and I'm not too proud to admit that, hey, I'm new, and even if I wasn't I'm not perfect. I know my ACLS stuff fine, but if I'm just running a medical code yellow or something like that and I want to double check something and I have time, why not?

Just be aware that any pocket protocol books are generalized, and might have in them protocols not used in your area, or not have protocols that you do. See my mantra at the end, that you should follow your local protocols, as mine might be different from yours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.