Pocket Guides/References

Bieber

I value the spelling, medication and simple translation portion of the booklet we carry, otherwise I haven't found use. Typical call for us, is a bag of meds, unconscious and no history to go on. So... Look up the most common use for said medication. It's not an exact thing to go on, but it's a start. Also had to buy one of those Spanish for EMS pocket guides. But it's like brain surgery to try and figure out what their reply is.

Like most others, I carry a reference book, not because I necessarily need it, but because I feel more confident having it with me, to know that I can look at it if I blank.

A cool book one of my partners carries is http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Drug-Guide-Patrick-Gomella/dp/0071664076/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1293252172&sr=8-1

It is useful for looking up some of the more obscure medication a pt. may be taking, and it has drug interactions, and overdose signs and symptoms, and what to watch for w/ an overdose. To me this is nice because, while you can learn a lot about a lot of medications, you cannot learn them all, and if a patient overdoses on a med you don't know, it is invaluable to be able look up what to expect

Thanks for the kind words Dwayne. It's been a long time since I've written on that blog. I should pick it back up one of these days....

No brother, thank you.

I've actually gone back to your blog a million times for inspiration when I was feeling hinky. And if anyone thinks I say these things because Fiz and I are friends..well, I don't think that we've ever even traded emails, or chatted privately. It's simply an amazing accounting of his thoughts, feelings and experiences written so well, and with such honesty that I really have read through it several times and got hooked on the friggin' thing again when I went to get the address for this thread!

In fact, the only thing about it that really irritates me is that it's kind of like the City. You can tell people of it's value, explain to them why they should really at least take a taste if they're serious about EMS, yet 90% won't do it. I wish I was better at conveying such thoughts to others....

Hey Fiz, do you think I could copy and paste some of your entries that I think would make for good discussion? I understand completely if you'd rather I didn't, as I know you've put in an immense amount of work on it, and perhaps you would rather it not be read out of order, and context, but I think that would be a fun and valuable thing if you're up for it.

You can reply privately if you like...sorry to put you on the spot, but I'm thinking you can handle it...

And yeah...you'd make me a happy ol' goofy medic if you want back to it.

Dwayne

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.