New to EMS field HELP PLEASE

emtdavexnc

Also to tniuqs what do you mean by medicine? I am not interested in being an rn and I have thought about doing x-ray,ultrasound,nuclear medicine, but to me it is too much shcool for me and would be boring and less rewarding. Are there other similar careers for more pay or something?

If you want to earn a lot of money, you will need to go to school. Period. There really isn't any way around this.

If you want to earn a lot of money, you will need to find a career other than working on an ambulance. EMS, in most places, doesn't require more than a high school diploma or GED. (Oregon does now require a college degree for paramedics.) In the grand scheme of things, that's not a very high standard. As such, EMS providers aren't paid well. It might look like a lot of money to a 17 year old. But give it a few years when you're trying to balance a life, work, dating, maybe even a family on what will suddenly seem like not a lot of money. It's really hard to do.

While I can't speak for Squint, I believe he was suggesting you go to college and try for medical school to be a doctor when he suggested medicine. Yes, it will require a lot of school. Yes, it will require a lot of work. Yes, it can be just as, if not more rewarding than a career in EMS.

If you are truly interested in medicine at any level you are going to have to go to school. There's no way around this. To become an EMT-Basic will require some training. Paramedic will require more training. You'll get that training in school.

Nursing school will require a college education. But as a nurse you'll have the potential to earn more and do more than you could ever do as a paramedic. Believe it or not, there are some pretty exciting opportunities within nursing. It's not all nursing home and home care visits.

Radiology technicians require college level education. In many places there are better opportunities to work as a rad tech than there are as a paramedic.

Physician assistants require a good amount of education. But you'll earn a salary commensurate with your education. The same goes for physician. You'll have more opportunities to go along with that education, too. Those opportunities will bring their own excitement in their own fields. It's not all office visits and sick geriatric patients.

Having been 17 at one time, I know how easy it is to say that school is too much work. But there's a lot of truth to the idea that the better things in life are worth working for. If getting involved in medicine is really what you want to do and you are really interested in medicine, then it won't seem like a lot of work when you're doing it.

If, however, you're simply looking for an adrenaline rush of something fun and exciting, please consider looking elsewhere as EMS is not the constant endorphin kick that you might think.

Also to tniuqs what do you mean by medicine? I am not interested in being an rn and I have thought about doing x-ray,ultrasound,nuclear medicine, but to me it is too much shcool for me and would be boring and less rewarding. Are there other similar careers for more pay or something?

YES glad you asked "Medicine" as in becoming an Medical Doctor, it is not boring in any way, its far more rewarding in more ways than one, you have your entire life before you, dont limit yourself to lateral type moves or even perspectives.

Your comment "too much school" is a bit worrisome to me, you do realize how much schooling there is to becoming a EMT / Paramedic, AND it is life long learning. Emergency Medicine as you see it today will change drastically during your lifespan, this is not like learn as you go apprenticeship, as in the trades. You if you wish to proceed you will become part of the "new breed" where even more education will be required before you advance, more regulation, more legislation, more law.

Ok ... Please remove all the thoughts out of your head NOW, believing that EMS or even being a Hose Monkey is anywhere near what is portrayed in TV or Hollywood movie's. Its just not a glorified life nor will you featured in "HERO magazine" that the straight poop! As they say in EMS 95 % boredom and 5 % panic.

Quote paramedicmike: While I can't speak for Squint, I believe he was suggesting you go to college and try for medical school to be a doctor when he suggested medicine. Yes, it will require a lot of school. Yes, it will require a lot of work. Yes, it can be just as, if not more rewarding than a career in EMS.

:thumbsup:

cheers

ps search and read.

Edited by tniuqs

You may start your EMT-B classes at 17 years of age, but you cannot take the written test until you are 18.

True. I know a few took their New York State DoH written test on the day of their 18th birthday.

In my area, the different levels of training are as follows:

CFR-Certified First Responder-- One step below an EMT-B and you are eligible to take this class at your age.

EMT-B-

EMT-CC

EMT-P

My area does not do EMT-Intermediates, but your region might.

Depending on the area, EMT-CC is not recognized.

Lets go crazy: Nassau County, NY, accepts A-EMTs, but Queens County, a part of New York City, and is on a common border with Nassau, does not.

Local protocols always rule, sometimes confusingly, but they rule!

Don't listen to these burn-out cases who want you to choose a different career. Yes, there are other careers where you can make more money, but that is the worst thing you can do, choose a job just for money. If you have a calling to enter our field, then do so, I would suggest the following.

1. Keep your driving record absolutely spotless. It will be difficult for you to get a job until you are 21-23, it will be much more difficult if you have speeding tickets or a DUI.

2. I would suggest that you either volunteer or ask your local provider if you can ride 3rd a few shifts to see if you like it (some will say no, but eventually someone will say yes). I think it is important to get a taste of what the job really is before you dedicate yourself to several years of school.

3. I would also suggest you go straight from EMT-I school to Paramedic school without seeking employment, because of your age (this is called zero-to-hero in our field). Many will disagree with that, but as stated above, you will have a hard time finding employment as an 18 year old emt. You will not have any problem getting hired as a 20 year old Paramedic.

4. Once you get an EMS job, do not work two jobs, or work 100 hours/week at one job, as it leads to the burnout that causes some of the negative comments about this field. EMT-Is are generally earning in the high $20s to low $30s/year, most Paramedics are earning in the $40 + per year, as starting pay. It's not Doctor's pay, but it is a reasonable, liveable wage, if you live within your means. Unfortunately most young medics buy 2 new cars (at $400/mo apiece), a house that is too big, and all kinds of toys that they can not afford. Then they get mad at EMS because they have to work 2 jobs to support their foolish spending habits.

Don't listen to these burn-out cases who want you to choose a different career. Yes, there are other careers where you can make more money, but that is the worst thing you can do, choose a job just for money. If you have a calling to enter our field, then do so, I would suggest the following.

1. Keep your driving record absolutely spotless. It will be difficult for you to get a job until you are 21-23, it will be much more difficult if you have speeding tickets or a DUI.

2. I would suggest that you either volunteer or ask your local provider if you can ride 3rd a few shifts to see if you like it (some will say no, but eventually someone will say yes). I think it is important to get a taste of what the job really is before you dedicate yourself to several years of school.

3. I would also suggest you go straight from EMT-I school to Paramedic school without seeking employment, because of your age (this is called zero-to-hero in our field). Many will disagree with that, but as stated above, you will have a hard time finding employment as an 18 year old emt. You will not have any problem getting hired as a 20 year old Paramedic.

4. Once you get an EMS job, do not work two jobs, or work 100 hours/week at one job, as it leads to the burnout that causes some of the negative comments about this field. EMT-Is are generally earning in the high $20s to low $30s/year, most Paramedics are earning in the $40 + per year, as starting pay. It's not Doctor's pay, but it is a reasonable, liveable wage, if you live within your means. Unfortunately most young medics buy 2 new cars (at $400/mo apiece), a house that is too big, and all kinds of toys that they can not afford. Then they get mad at EMS because they have to work 2 jobs to support their foolish spending habits.

Being an EMT is a start; it may not be a start for most who want to be in Medicine but never less, its a start. You must have your HS Diploma.

After completing the EMT course; get whatever job you can get; its tough out there. The 9.4% unemployment includes EMS Providers. Even volunteering; take advantage of being young and having no real responsibility (If that's the case). Gain all the experience you can.

Go back to school and non-matriculate; if you're unsure. Take the pre-requesites courses for all Allied Health, Nursing, & Medical which are: English I/II and Anatomy & Physiology I/II; this will give you 1-2 semester of Part Time School worth of time to decide if you want to go to Paramedic, Nursing, Medicine, or Other Allied Health Professional. All have its benefit and draw backs. It depends on your desires and goals. Good luck...

• Like 1

I didnt know I was up to a trick tnuigs, I thought I offered positive advice. Conversely, you said:

emtdavexnc ... your 17 ? get into medicine !

Volunteer in local a hospital, just to check it out.

EMS is way too overrated, do not set your sights so low.

cheers

I am very proud of my career in EMS, and I do not believe it is overated. Over the years I have saved many lives, and touched thousands of lives. There are very few jobs that are as rewarding as ours. I hope that the younger generation will continue to set their sites so low.

I didnt know I was up to a trick tnuigs, I thought I offered positive advice. Conversely, you said:

emtdavexnc ... your 17 ? get into medicine !

Volunteer in local a hospital, just to check it out.

EMS is way too overrated, do not set your sights so low.

cheers

I am very proud of my career in EMS, and I do not believe it is overated. Over the years I have saved many lives, and touched thousands of lives. There are very few jobs that are as rewarding as ours. I hope that the younger generation will continue to set their sites so low.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.