New to EMS field HELP PLEASE

emtdavexnc

I am painfully limited on time at the moment, and therefore have not had the opportunity to read other posts in this thread. So bear with me if I end up repeating things that have already been said.

Anyway, I completely understand the situation youre in, because I have been (and still somewhat am) there. I am turning 17 in a few months, and while I still have time to reconsider my decision, I really want to stick with EMS as a career choice. One of the only things that led me to make this choice was my participation in an explorers post and an apprenticeship program. It made me see the whole picture of what EMS is, and made me consider whether or not I could see myself doing this type of job for the majority of my working life. My best advice would be to try a few shifts as a ride along, and then reevaluate your thoughts about the field. Though my expectations turned out not to be too far a shot from the reality of EMS, I can honestly say that the first-hand experience helps. More importantly, trying it out helps you make your own decision, because if I hadnt started riding third, I probably would have taken people's horror stories about the business to heart... and people are still trying to talk me out of it after about two and a half years of participation in the program. Sure, EMS is definitely not a glamor job, but Im happy with it. Also, if you do well as a ride along, you might get brownie points/leg up/call it what you will - when it comes to getting an actual job in the system (I did. When Im 18 I am officially property of my local service, Ive been told :thumbsup:)

Best of luck to you!

Stay safe -emsgirl911

You have every right to be confused; you're young. It's a tough decision to make; decades ago; it was a decision of your life. Nowadays you can have multiple careers. That's what college is all about; confused young adults, trying to find there own. The only thing you really need to decide is which degree path you're going down: Arts or Science. Its a PITA (Pain in the Ass) to switch from one to the other, after several semesters. Enroll at your local Community College or Senior College (Hopefully it will have Nursing, Paramedics, and Other Allied Heath Professions); take English and Anatomy & Physiology I with 2 other classes that is needed for all Medical, Allied Health, & Nursing. The first 1 year (2 Semesters); its all the same. That way you can qualify for Financial Aide (You have to be Fulltime). This will allow for decision making; go to each dept and speak with an advisor; hear all your options and hear what your family & friends have to say. You must get all feedback to make a good decision. Any decision you make in Heathcare will be fine; if you change your mind; which you may; go back to school. Its not as hard as you think or expensive.

Let me give you my like experience; I'm 35. I've been an EMT since 95 & a Paramedic since 98. I never graduated from HS; like you I was indecisive; school was so long. I was pressured to take the EMT class by my friends; I wasn't doing anything. I enrolled and got my GED; since it was a requirement. I loved the class; I did more rotations than required. I finished the course and passed. I worked at a Private Ambulance and Volunteered. This was exciting; I was young and energetic like yourself. I wanted to do more than oxygen, vital signs, & transport. I interacted with Paramedics and it was something I wanted to do. I took a Paramedic course at a Hospital; I passed with top honors & got a 911 job; very pristine in NYC: 4 months out of school. I worked in a Private while looking. I worked at several Hospitals in 911 and gained so much experience. I became a Manager at a Hospital Based EMS in 06 without a degree. My years there and experience got me the job. In 08 I received my Associates and now I'm completing the final phase for my Associates in Nursing, Class 2011. Since 08 (since the Hospital closed), I've been a Manager of a Private Ambulance. I found my calling and a job so flexible; I can finish school and continue with it. Retirement age is 67; I still have time; you have time. Its never too late. Whatever path you choose will be fine; its not set in stone, so you can always veer off the path. Ultimately, you need to do what's right for you and be content with your decision. Your future depends on it. All the best.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.