Is a paramedic needed for IFT ?

If you are working for a IFT only service is it still a good idea to go to medic school or just stay a basic or intermediate.

That depends on your personality and general life's goals. How old are you? Do you intend to do IFTs for the rest of your life? Do you have any desire to be a paramedic? Why do you do what you do now?

Those questions might help to get you started towards working out your answers...

Dwayne

1) Depending on what type care a patient needs during an IFT, either the skills sets of an EMT or Paramedic might be needed.

2) Earn your skills at EMT level, then use it as basis for getting Paramedic training.

In the service where I work, which is rural, the vast majority of our interfacility transferes are to a higher level of care. Most of these patients are transported with IVs, meds, vents, or other ALS interventions. With that being said, the paramedic takes those calls 100% of the time. The only time a basic or intermediate takes an IFT is a return to a nursing home or residence (usually for hospice). In the past year, I think we've had two of those during my shifts.

Of course, I work for a 911 service .

Agreeing with Dwayne and Richard's posts...I guess it depends on what you want to do in your profession.

Edited by tcripp

not a lot to add to the above three posters except, i find IFT and Doctor's urgents (admissions) to be a wonderful training ground for breaking new crews in, far better than events or doing low priority emergency calls where the patient walks on and walks off

I just remembered, for the last few years, in New York State, EMTs were no longer allowed to transport patients on IVs. The IV either had to be shut down by qualified personnel, or replaced with a saline lock, otherewise, a Paramedic, Nurse, or other higher trained medical personnel, had to accompany the patient.

Previously, EMTs could transport the IV patients, adjust the arm for maintaining the flow, or shutting down the IV if it infiltrated.

As a Paramedic that works for a IFT service as a profession I think I might be able to help with this one.

When we hire someone we take into consideration more than just your level and experience in EMS. We look for individuals that have a good understanding of EMS, patient care and strives to make EMS their profession. It's not all about being a paramedic it's all about the patient. We do tend to favor paramedics but we haven't hired a paramedic for years. All of our paramedics including me were hired as an EMT and then went to paramedic school to advance our career. We have only three paramedics that work for us that were hired as paramedics and that was about six years ago.

Are paramedics needed for IFT? Absolutely! We run ALS 95% of the time so we need paramedics. During the day we run dual paramedics and during the night we run with paramedic / EMT for the most part. The reason for this is our paramedics have more seniority and have moved to the day so our new hires usually EMT's work nights.

If you are asking simply to see if you should go back to school in order to work for an IFT service the answer is no. I do not think someone should get their paramedic just to have a better chance at get hired. If you truly want to advance your career then by all means go back and get your paramedic. But don't let the small raise be the deciding factor. If your heart is not in EMS then by no means continue in this profession.

Hope this helps you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.