What Did Your Service Improve In 2010 ?

As 2010 draws to a close, I thought it might be interesting to read what your service improved this year. I am guessing that most of you had some kind of CQI or QA/QI project that you worked on. So what was the outcomes, maybe another service can learn from your success or failure. Your ideas may spark someone on here to start a project for 2011 at their service.

Well, I learned that our service has a LONG way to go to be even considered on the curve, much less ahead of it. (Hardly news since we're not exactly the most progressive, and ANY change occurs at a glacial pace) We had inservices early in the year on 12 lead EKG's, CPAPS, and just a couple months ago, we finally received the CPAP set ups. No word when the 12 lead capabilities will happen, but since we have LP10's, it's simply a matter of adding a module. We did finally receive an EZ IO gun- that's a good thing. Our intubation success rates have improved dramatically- not sure why. Complaints are way down.

The take home lesson I learned(or more accurately, had reinforced for the umpteenth time) is that true change for us will not happen until I am residing on the south side of the sod. It's frustrating, but for a large system, getting something changed is a matter of patience, persistence, and most importantly, politics and money.

BTW-

Good question, crochity...

Edited by HERBIE1

Thinking back on 2010, my service had quite a few enhancements:

- Ferno tracked stair chairs fully rolled out

- LP15 deployed on all vehicles

- CPAP

- Initial trial of Opticon (three vehicle trial; full roll out expected in 2011)

- Initial trial of Stryker power cot (three vehicle trial; unsure of full deployment)

- Initial trial of LUCAS 2 (5 vehicles as of Dec 2010)

- Deployed dog harnesses for transport of service dogs to comply with the requirements of the Ontarians with Disabilities act (I kid you not)

- Implemented voluntary, non-disciplinary, anonymous, Pt. safety report ("Close Calls")

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Well, I learned that our service has a LONG way to go to be even considered on the curve, much less ahead of it. (Hardly news since we're not exactly the most progressive, and ANY change occurs at a glacial pace) We had inservices early in the year on 12 lead EKG's, CPAPS, and just a couple months ago, we finally received the CPAP set ups. No word when the 12 lead capabilities will happen, but since we have LP10's, it's simply a matter of adding a module. We did finally receive an EZ IO gun- that's a good thing. Our intubation success rates have improved dramatically- not sure why. Complaints are way down.

The take home lesson I learned(or more accurately, had reinforced for the umpteenth time) is that true change for us will not happen until I am residing on the south side of the sod. It's frustrating, but for a large system, getting something changed is a matter of patience, persistence, and most importantly, politics and money.

BTW-

Good question, crochity...

Really : You still have LP 10's. Wow , I guess it's just slightly behind the curve. We dumped our "10" over ten years ago.

I guess the biggest "improvement " of 2010 was fully implementing electronic run reporting to the state.

Really : You still have LP 10's. Wow , I guess it's just slightly behind the curve. We dumped our "10" over ten years ago.

I guess the biggest "improvement " of 2010 was fully implementing electronic run reporting to the state.

Believe me- getting those LP10's was a huge coup for us.

Told you we aren't exactly progressive. We had the old 2 man Ferno/Washington cots until around 5 or 6 years ago and I have the bad back to prove it. LOL

We now have the ability to transmit our 12 leads to area hospitals. I haven't decided if it is actually beneficial or just a waste of time......

Depends on whether they're interpreting your 12 leads or just using them to inform the cath team in prep for a STEMI.

We transmit our 12 leads to the cath lab as part of our STEMI alert but all interpretation is done in the field for STEMI. If a Pt. is being enrolled in the STREAM thombolytics trial (which is also new for 2010) the Paramedic does interpretation for enrollment, but for the purpose of the study it's confirmed by the on-call cardiologist who randomizes the Pt. to one of the two study groups.

We interpret our own STEMI's. When we call in report we advise STEMI or Non-STEMI. We don't change our treatment regardless.

Maybe in the future it will be more helpful. More often than not the transmission does not go thru the first attempt. It usually takes multiple attempts for the transmission to be succesful, which sometimes takes away from other things I need to be doing.

I think the ability to transmit is a great tool. Hopefully it will be more helpful for me in the future.

We interpret our own STEMI's. When we call in report we advise STEMI or Non-STEMI. We don't change our treatment regardless.

Maybe in the future it will be more helpful. More often than not the transmission does not go thru the first attempt. It usually takes multiple attempts for the transmission to be succesful, which sometimes takes away from other things I need to be doing.

I think the ability to transmit is a great tool. Hopefully it will be more helpful for me in the future.

Agreed. Were it not for the STREAM trial the transmitting would just be a gimmick and if thombolytics ever make it into our scope permanently it will be entirely gimmicky. What I'd love to see would be point of care troponin tests.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.