What Is A PROPER Uniform for EMS

If for no other reason to say "no" to sweatpants, most I have seen, and worn, are meant to absorb sweat, or other fluids. Blood is a fluid. Need I say more?

While I have worn sweatpants on calls, it was usually UNDER the work uniform of the day, in mid-winter, as an insulative layer, out of sight of co-workers, the public, and the patients.

The service I work for I believe starting in June of 2011 are going to a dark blue dress shirts but no more buttons, but a zipper in the front. We currently wear a white dress shirt and have been since the service started back in the 70's. Not sure why the change, but I like the look of the new dark blue dress shirt.

I feel wearing a t-shirt would be nice during the summer time as it might be a little cooler.

When it comes to a uniform looking professional I feel that as long as the dress shirt is ironed and tucked in, pants are pressed, and boots shined that is professional or if wearing a t shirt it should be not wrinkled and tucked in.

As mentioned we wear white dress shirts (soon to change) and if we spill anything on it or if it is wrinkled before your shift. Our Unit Chief requires that we iron our shirt or change it if it has a stain on it. He will even shut the car down until we change our shirt. That even goes for students if they show up with a messy looking uniform, he will make them iron their shirt, polish their boots, iron their pants or change their their clothes before going out on a ambulance call with their preceptor.

Sounds anal, but in our profession I feel we need to dress and look professional at all times, that even goes when wearing a t-shirt in those hot summer days!

There needs to be uniforms. Services must have policies reagrding this. I understand the volunteer come from home; it is what is... When a service can be volunteer; then that's what we get. I am not saying it is wrong but I am not saying it is right, neither. If there is no rules then they're not breaking anything. Its up to the VAC to set standards and enforce them. However, they are volunteering time and helping the community. A severely sick or injuried person isn't going to care. They don't care what you can do; just take them to the hospital quickly.... We have all contribute to the stagnant growth of the EMS field; I don't think uniforms are the problem....

There are no specific colors or styles or brands. A uniform must be neat and clean. The service must govern what they want as a uniform....

I tried so hard not to jump into this. I know my opinion won't be popular, it is held in very low regard in my own service, but I'm sorry. This soapbox is just too much for me to ignore.

First things first. If you need a snazzy uniform to make you "look" professional, you probably aren't. Secondly, you have to decide the age old question... is it the man who makes the clothes, or the clothes who make the man? (or woman)

I'm a practical kind of guy. The environment I work in changes daily, but the job I do is always the same. I'm a healthcare worker. I see nurses, doctors, surgeons, respiratory therapists, lab techs, surg techs, you name it... every day. Most of them are wearing scrubs. Do I look at them and think, "Oh my God, that person is wearing pajamas to work... how unprofessional!"

No. I understand perfectly why they wear them. YET, I'm required to do much of the same job they do in a white button up shirt that is supposed to stay clean, pristine, and great looking for 24 hours at a time. This seems ridiculous to me. I wish beyond belief we (as EMSers) would embrace an EMS pant, a long sleeve t-shirt (if you want) with a scrub top. Cheap, comfortable and already accepted in the healthcare industry. But no. We go with navy blue mechanic button up shirts or some other ignorant button up uniform shirt. I hate it.

We are allowed a company t-shirt from June to August, but frankly... I think the scrub top would be better. How about at least a bowling shirt. Why tuck it in? I want loose, flowing and free. Change the normal! Let's go another way!

• Like 1

I wish beyond belief we (as EMSers) would embrace an EMS pant, a long sleeve t-shirt (if you want) with a scrub top. Cheap, comfortable and already accepted in the healthcare industry.

We are allowed a company t-shirt from June to August, but frankly... I think the scrub top would be better. How about at least a bowling shirt. Why tuck it in? I want loose, flowing and free. Change the normal! Let's go another way!

See the link to my thread on page 1 of this discussion. In that topic I posted some high quality scrubs as a uniform suggestion.

I hate being made to look like a cop rather than a medical professional.

• Like 1

I have no problem with scrubs; however, a uniform is also a function of the environment. Unfortunately, the operational environment of EMS is frequently different than that of the hospital. I think a uniform should reflect this axiom.

I wore a 5.11 uniform as my standard kit while overseas. This included a navy polo, khaki 5.11 pants and a nice pair of desert tan boots. I kept the pants and polo wrinkle free and found the overall uniform to be quite functional, professional looking and durable. This is an example of a good looking and practical uniform IMHO.

Take care,

chbare.

• 2 months later...

Bringing this topic back from the grave.

Right now we wear white button ups with black EMS pants. They look good, but I feel like we need something that makes us look more like healthcare professionals as opposed to public service professionals. I would like to see jumpsuits (preferably) or some heavy duty scrubs (possibly with EMS pants).

Actually, and most of you probably will disagree with me on this one, I really think these uniforms look pretty cool. The picture's of a paramedic and doctor in Germany, though don't think they still wear these anymore. I'm a big fan of the white, that I think, more than anything else, screams medical to me.

Versorgung_eines_Notfallpatienten.jpg

Edited by Bieber

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.