What Is A PROPER Uniform for EMS

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of seeing people in our professions wearing nothing but a t-shirt on calls ? I think it is ridiculous that we allow such an unprofessional image in our industry. I am not saying everyone should wear a tie, but can we please put on a uniform shirt ? What say you, are polos and T-s the way to go ? Is dressing like a landscaper professional ? And can we have some fashion police for the 300lb medics ? You do not look good in that t-shirt, with your belly hanging out of the bottom !

Is it just me, or is anyone else tired of seeing people in our professions wearing nothing but a t-shirt on calls ? I think it is ridiculous that we allow such an unprofessional image in our industry. I am not saying everyone should wear a tie, but can we please put on a uniform shirt ? What say you, are polos and T-s the way to go ? Is dressing like a landscaper professional ? And can we have some fashion police for the 300lb medics ? You do not look good in that t-shirt, with your belly hanging out of the bottom !

I'm going to skip over reading the other posts since this is obviously a hot topic but I would like to ask you this. Are you saying that my polo shirt which is nicely embroidered with reflective print on the back that we wear at night isn't appropriate? (We wear class As during the day and then a polo at night...on a 48 hour shift.)

What about the crew member who does wear a uniform who fails to keep the "whites white" or is seemingly unfamiliar with an iron. Also, you talk about the 300 lb medics. What about those who are of appropriate weight whose uniform is either too tight or too large because of recent weight loss or weight gain.

I suggest we look at the big picture of what professionalism should look like rather than the style of shirt. I'll take a crisp t-shirt over a desheveled "class A" wearer...any day. :P

Edited by tcripp

Let's be a bit more specific, please. To my way of being educated, a "Class 'A' Uniform" is the uniform worn for parades, funerals, and getting presented with medals by the mayor, as opposed to the uniforms worn for getting your hands dirty working assignments that eventually get you awarded the medals by the mayor.

Let's be a bit more specific, please. To my way of being educated, a "Class 'A' Uniform" is the uniform worn for parades, funerals, and getting presented with medals by the mayor, as opposed to the uniforms worn for getting your hands dirty working assignments that eventually get you awarded the medals by the mayor.

I stand corrected. Class "B" uniform.

Ive worn polos, white button downs and now I love my current uniform. Dark navy zip front shirt that looks like a button down, with cert patch on left and service patch on right sleeves. Name plate on right breast above pocket. Black or navy pants (most wear cargos or EMS pants) and black boots. Under the shirt we do wear dept tshirts with name and cert on the front along with our dept logo. Comfortable and looks professional.

Ive worn polos, white button downs and now I love my current uniform. Dark navy zip front shirt that looks like a button down, with cert patch on left and service patch on right sleeves. Name plate on right breast above pocket. Black or navy pants (most wear cargos or EMS pants) and black boots. Under the shirt we do wear dept tshirts with name and cert on the front along with our dept logo. Comfortable and looks professional.

Pecos does look sharp but you'll sweat bad during the summer 110* + temps in those dark colors.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.