What Is A PROPER Uniform for EMS

Can relate to dirty jobs as well. The fun you have going out to the motocross when its pouring rain or a 40 degree day and the dust is so thick you can barley see 5 foot in front of you. Also entering a rolled speedway car that’s on its roof in mud or even going out to the ‘mud bash’ were the aim it to drive through a dam that they’ve emptied the water from and attempt not to roll your 4x4 or the jet boats who get up to insane speed through a track of half a meter of muddy water.

We have green cotton overalls (or I think you US guys call them jumpsuits) with reflective tape around the torso, arms, knees and lower legs. The pants are a similar style to cargo pants with plenty of pockets. We also wear a 2 tone yellow/green reflective jacket which displays your clinical level. It can get hot in them but there comfortable to wear.

Oh, I totally agree.. White is NOT the color to wear on every call. I'm very selective, it's more of a 'for entertainment value' uniform. I have a black police-like cap w/ an ambulance badge on it and everything. I don't wear that, but it all came about because of a hobby I have of lecturing on the past, as far as EMS is concerned anyway. I also have royal, navy and medium blue coveralls; rescue orange; day-glo yellow; and tan. In a mix of Indura cotton; or Nomex. The whole idea is, they're all flame retardant to a point, some flash, some direct flame. We have a lot of industry that requires us to have minimal flame and fluid protection. If it gets dirty, I wash it in our washer made specifically for turnout gear. If it gets ruined, they pay for it. My uniform usually consists of short boots, khaki's, and my agencies coat or work shirt. Stylish, but effective.

It's our SOP to wear an ANSI compliant coat or vest whenever we are parked on or working on any traffic way. So, usually, there is a vest involved to some extent.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.