Don't Ask, Don't Tell Repealed

Eydawn

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40715888/ns/politics-capitol_hill/

Pretty interesting moment in history. One akin to having homosexuality removed from the DSM, in my opinion... I personally don't care who's interested in whose bits as long as they're a good soldier!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

• Like 2

Wendy, I agree wholeheartedly – I don’t care who you are interested in, I care that you can perform the duties required in service to your country.

There were some very interesting quotes and statements in the article…

Obama said…. "It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed."

"As Barry Goldwater said, 'You don't have to be straight to shoot straight,"' said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., referring to the late GOP senator from Arizona.

“The Pentagon study found that two-thirds of service members didn't think changing the law would have much of an effect. But of those who did predict negative consequences, a majority were assigned to combat arms units. Nearly 60 percent of the Marine Corps and Army combat units, such as infantry and special operations, said in the survey they thought repealing the law would hurt their units' ability to fight. “

With regard to the last paragraph quoted, I know we have a number of members on this site who serve in Marine and Army combat units. I would like to hear their opinions on this. Why and how would having a gay person in the unit hurt the unit’s ability to fight?

• Like 1

<snip>

With regard to the last paragraph quoted, I know we have a number of members on this site who serve in Marine and Army combat units. I would like to hear their opinions on this. Why and how would having a gay person in the unit hurt the unit’s ability to fight?

they are quoting the kind of bigoted claims that used to be used by the CoC as to why prohibiting homosexuals ( of either gender) from serving, as per usual the 'land of the free' is decades behind the rest of the civilised world...

• Like 2

I will refrain from commenting on the wisdom of such a law, but I will say I'm glad we have our priorities straight. We have no budget, our economy and the housing market are still in the crapper, unemployment is STILL double digits, our national deficit and debt are in the stratosphere, but gays can serve openly in the military.

Hoo-friggin-ray!

And we wonder why Congress has a single digit approval rating?

I shudder to think what the next equally "vital" law that will be passed while Democrats still have control.

January 5th cannot get here soon enough.

• Like 1

Gays do not belong in the military. Why ? All queers are mentally ill, thus making them queer. We dont hand automatic weapons to people with mental illness.

I have some advice for

- hand your card in and never darken the door of an ambulance station again

- you are an utter disgrace, you need to get your issues sorted out before preaching to others

Now that's bigoted and shortsighted. At least you have the kahonas to say what you feel. What's your bigoted opinion of gays working in EMS or hair care?

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Gays do not belong in the military. Why ? All queers are mentally ill, thus making them queer. We dont hand automatic weapons to people with mental illness.

Care to back that up with some scientific evidence or are you just covering up your own homosexual arousal?

It still amazes me that in this day and age this is still an issue. Sexual orientation does not make or break a soldier, how well you can shoot a gun does. Sexual orientation has no effect on a persons ability to shoot. It's funny how the people that are the most against gays serving in the military are the ones that are most boisterous about protecting people's rights and freedoms. Pretty hypocritical. They will fight for your rights and freedoms, as long as it doesn't disagree with their beliefs. Red headed people make me nervous, they shouldn't be allowed to serve either.

Herbie, so are you saying that basic human rights shouldn't be a priority?

Edited by ERDoc
  • Like 4

Are you truly in EMS? Have you spent time in the military, if so then you KNOW that there are already gays in the military and that there has been gays serving since BEFORE this country was founded. Homosexuality is not a mental illness in the same aspect as say, dementia or Alzheimer's, an illness that's progressive. People that are gay are born with it, hardwired into their brain. They don't wake up one morning thinking "hey, I don't want to date girls or guys anymore, I wanna be gay!" Sorry it doesn't happen like that and to think it does is just pure ignorant.

I know of gays who are in charge of 4.5 million dollar, 72 ton M1A1 Abrams tanks, and guess what? They were damn good soldiers and I trusted them with my life.

To the military folk out there. General Von Steuben, ex Persian General and a General officer in Washington's Continental Army. The man authored a training manual called the Blue Book, which essentially turned the troops from ragtag to formidable, his training is still used today.....yup he was homosexual......just something to think about!

Sean

• Like 2