ACLS help

emtcutie

anyone know of any good websites that have scenarios for acls class, i need help working on my algorithims and think this might help

• 4 weeks later...

One book that was a big help to me was:

ACLS Study Guide

Author: Barbara Aehlert, RN, BSPA

Third Edition

ISBN 0-323-04695-9

I think it costs about $35 - you might want to check Amazon. It was worth it to me!

I would not recommend spending too much money on any of the current guideline study guides. There are new ACLS protocols out and they will start teaching them next year with some major changes. If you can wait for a new protocols class that would be ideal but if not, don't waste money on the current study guides that are available. They are already outdated and you will have wasted your money.

Here is a quick summary of the changes coming:

CHANGE

* Trained rescuers should change BLS sequence from A-B-C to C-A-B

* Chest compression rate should be GREATER than 100 beats per minute

* Chest compression depth should be GREATER than 2 in./5cm.

* Untrained rescuers should perform Hands-Only CPR

DELETE

* "Look, listen, and feel" for breathing is no longer recommended

* Atropine is not routinely recommended for all PEA or Asystole cases

ADD

* If available, continuous quantitative capnography is recommended throughout the peri-arrest period

to assess physiologic change

* Adenosine is recommended for stable, regular, monomorphic wide complex tachycardia

* Post-cardiac arrest care including PCI and Therapeutic Hypothermia when indicated

I think it may be slightly confusing to expend a lot of energy learning something and then very soon have to unlearn it or change your mindset on certain things.

Send me a contact email I will send you some helpful links.

Yeah Cutie, clue one, when someone asks for personal contact information when you have a perfectly good PM system here at the City, be very suspicious.

When someone asks for personal contact information so that they can privately give you information that makes more sense to share on the forums, be very suspicious.

When someone has been here nearly 4 years yet one of their 21 posts happens to be to ask one of the ladies for personal information, be very suspicious.

Other than that, I don't see anything suspicious about this at all. I think you should send him your information....

Dwayne

I would not recommend spending too much money on any of the current guideline study guides. There are new ACLS protocols out and they will start teaching them next year with some major changes. If you can wait for a new protocols class that would be ideal but if not, don't waste money on the current study guides that are available. They are already outdated and you will have wasted your money.

Here is a quick summary of the changes coming:

CHANGE

* Trained rescuers should change BLS sequence from A-B-C to C-A-B

* Chest compression rate should be GREATER than 100 beats per minute

* Chest compression depth should be GREATER than 2 in./5cm.

* Untrained rescuers should perform Hands-Only CPR

DELETE

* "Look, listen, and feel" for breathing is no longer recommended

* Atropine is not routinely recommended for all PEA or Asystole cases

ADD

* If available, continuous quantitative capnography is recommended throughout the peri-arrest period

to assess physiologic change

* Adenosine is recommended for stable, regular, monomorphic wide complex tachycardia

* Post-cardiac arrest care including PCI and Therapeutic Hypothermia when indicated

I think it may be slightly confusing to expend a lot of energy learning something and then very soon have to unlearn it or change your mindset on certain things.

I can see your point on this.... however, to defend my previous post, the book I recommended has a significant portion on cardiac anatomy, review of rhythms, and patient assessment, to ensure the reader has the background knowledge before getting into the algorithms. I too have seen the changes to the new guidelines, and if someone has the basic knowledge, I don't think it will be too confusing to transfer to the new guidelines. We had to make changes 5 years ago (especially instructors) and we will do it again. Most of the new guidelines have been in discussion forums on this site and elsewhere for some time, so none of the changes should be coming as a complete surprise.

When I originally took ACLS, my biggest problem with the algorithms was that I was weak in rhythm analysis. Once I was more confident in my analysis, the algorithms were easier.

I can see your point on this.... however, to defend my previous post, the book I recommended has a significant portion on cardiac anatomy, review of rhythms, and patient assessment, to ensure the reader has the background knowledge before getting into the algorithms. I too have seen the changes to the new guidelines, and if someone has the basic knowledge, I don't think it will be too confusing to transfer to the new guidelines. We had to make changes 5 years ago (especially instructors) and we will do it again. Most of the new guidelines have been in discussion forums on this site and elsewhere for some time, so none of the changes should be coming as a complete surprise.

When I originally took ACLS, my biggest problem with the algorithms was that I was weak in rhythm analysis. Once I was more confident in my analysis, the algorithms were easier.

EMTAnnie, I apologize if you thought I was attacking your post. That was in no way my intention. Yes, I think it is very important to learn rhythm analysis, cardiac anatomy, etc and I am sure that the book you suggested is very helpful for that. However there will undoubtedly be an updated version of the same book coming out very soon which will have all that as well as the new guidelines. It just doesn't make sense to pay $20-30 for a book that we know is already outdated when if you can wait a little longer you can spend the same money and have a current edition. There are also plenty of books just on rhythms and A&P that you can buy that will not become so quickly outdated. If the OP has an exam coming up and it is on the current guidelines then they may need to spend the money now. I am simply suggesting that if they can wait it will save them money in the long run. I would recommend the ECC Handbook with the 2010 guidelines. These books are pocket size and have lots of info as well as the algorithms. 2010 ECC Handbook

While the 2005 updates had some more radical changes such as the CPR ratios and some medication and recommendation changes, overall there was more tweaking of guidelines than a more radical overhaul. The new guidelines have changed the whole process of BLS around so it is going to be slightly more of an adjustment. All the previous version had emphasis on A-B-C, now it is switched around to C-A-B which requires us to completely change our mentality of how we approach CPR. And don't get me wrong, I am not implying that we will have difficulty adjusting our thinking just that for a new person learning algorithms it can be a little confusing to have 2 completely different approaches to learn and unlearn at the same time. Especially when they are still learning the basics.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks guys for all the useful tips. I am sorry i havent been able to respond sooner, i've been busy with the holiays. I passed the class and had one of the highest grades thanks to you guys, so thanks again. Now its onto peds. and geriatrics. which i heard is hard. wish me luck :)