how to prepare for emt school

ColinW

Hi all,

I am going to emt school in january of 2011 and i just wanted to know what can i do to best prepare myself for school? ya know helpful things to learn now?

First I would get my CPR certification out of the way. Most schools require the students to be certified before class begins.

Next I would start learning my anatomy, would be good to know where everything is and what it does. You will learn basic anatomy in class for sure but having some knowledge before hand will help.

Beyond that its up to you how much you want to learn. Class is usually fast paced and goes by quickly just touching on certain things. Yes some chapters are taught more then others but most of the time its up to you to learn the material.

Not much you can really do before class begins other then the anatomy stuff. The rest will need to be learned and taught during the class time and practicals.

Hope this helps a little and BTW good luck in school.

• Like 1

First I would get my CPR certification out of the way. Most schools require the students to be certified before class begins.

Next I would start learning my anatomy, would be good to know where everything is and what it does. You will learn basic anatomy in class for sure but having some knowledge before hand will help.

Beyond that its up to you how much you want to learn. Class is usually fast paced and goes by quickly just touching on certain things. Yes some chapters are taught more then others but most of the time its up to you to learn the material.

Not much you can really do before class begins other then the anatomy stuff. The rest will need to be learned and taught during the class time and practicals.

thanks, quick question, how long are cpr liceneces good for? I got one about 2 years ago so i need to renew i would think.

Yeah, what UE said pretty much sums it up. Assuming that you aren't going to take a college level A&P course you might want to focus on respiratory and circulatory anatomy, that will narrow it down a bit.

Welcome to the City! As you go through class, make sure to participate in the forums instead of simply reading, OK? It will make all the difference.

Dwayne

Edited to change 'should' to 'might want to', no other changes made.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

thanks, quick question, how long are cpr liceneces good for? I got one about 2 years ago so i need to renew i would think.

Most are good for 2 years. Check and see if it is required for your class though. In my class, CPR for the professional rescuer was obtained in class, we did not need to come in with CPR (that I can remember).

thanks everyone, i hate waiting to get started with class though, 3 months feels like forever away even though it isn't haha