Help Me Self Learn Anything EMT Related (Read)

KyleKIR

To the original poster:

As others have said here, focus on the BASICS first... learn anatomy and physiology, learn basic medical terminology (hint - many textbooks have lists of the basic terminology in one chapter, or in an index), learn normals - normal ranges of pulse and breathing for adult, child and infant.

You don't need to spend lots of money to get this information - as others have said, get used textbooks. Check ebay, or used bookstores, or buy from someone who took the course and decided it isn't for them. Search the internet - a good introductory site is www.emtb.com, and there are a number of others as well.

Don't try to cram too much into your brain at a time. You want to remember it for later, not just cram it in for now.

To Teen EMT:

When I saw your post regarding 'get a Littman' I knew you were going to get negative comments on that. A Littman does not make or break a practitioner - knowledge and skills do. As JPINFV stated earlier, it is important to know how to use it and recognise different heart sounds.

There are several threads on this site regarding stethoscope use - take a look, and read them with an open mind... there are a number of posters on here who have more years of experience than you have been alive, who are doctors, paramedics, respiratory techs, and have significantly more education than you or I. Use them to learn from, and to broaden your horizons.

• Like 3

AHEM ... The R.R.T.s prefer the terminology "Therapists" as this is not a "fix the machine" career, it is applied sciences with technology TO the patient <end pet peeve rant> Oh so off topic but in the long run the terms used to legally identify the "practitioner" in many health profession's ... well just look on any medical career website one will find that biggest difference between Technologist to Therapist is the PAY SCALE plus national / international recognition, oh yeah did I mention PAY SCALE ?

I find is very curious that when the topic of what type of "tubes" one should purchase that LUNG SOUNDS take a back seat ? Lung sounds which in many cases ie do I dare say diagnosing a "Tension Pneumo" recognition is far more significant and even though I dislike the term Life Saving, it defiantly does apply in this pathology.

In vast majority of cases the only exception (I can think of at this point) is identifying "muffled heart sounds + patient presentation + PMHX) That said: IF one has protocols that permit pericardiocentesis (and loosing favour, btw) and WAY beyond the EMT student level) Most seriously a Paramedic or EMT can do jack **** about a murmur or gallop, although understanding the problems associated with abnormal heart sounds can be helpful and very interesting.

SO hit the books and best do your homework or AK will bust your hump :blush: OUCH.

A sample of what is available with a simple Google search.

http://www.stethographics.com/main/physiology_ls_introduction.html

(I dislike the fine crackles in this one but overall a good audio, fine creps better described as rubbing your hair between fingers)

One of the reasons I support Littman ... and YES I know I will receive the rath of annie :innocent: , but they do support their products AND at conferences and such they actually teach <insert smiley with tongue sticking out>

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Littmann/stethoscope/education/heart-lung-sounds/

Once again there is no need to spend huge bucks "just to look good" friendly advise, pick up a set of tubes that you will not cry over loosing ... just saying.

cheers

Reason for edit (for Dwayne) I forgot ABSENT HEART SOUNDS as they are kinda significant.

Edited by tniuqs

AHEM ... The R.R.T.s prefer the terminology "Therapists" .....

Since we are being picky....

....one should purchase that LUNG SOUNDS take a back seat ? Lung sounds which in many cases ie do I dare...

The sounds heard while auscltating the chest is that of the movement of air, not that of a lung.. a lung in fact is a silent organ!

:whistle:

All in good fun!

• 4 weeks later...

I would also add that as excited as you are to learn, go ahead and read that EMT book from 1998. Sure, things will be out dated but most of your questions will be able to be answered out of that text. Plus, when you get into your EMT-basic class, any new information will be conveyed to you and you will get the newer information and be one step ahead of most of your class. Even though some things have changed, you can still learn an incredible amount from that book. Have fun and hurry up and get into a class!!!

P.S. you're going to take a National Registry test at the end of your class so dont worry about waiting until you move to another state before you get in a class! Just go sign up! It sounds like you'll enjoy it

Also, to the OP, you sound like you have a sincere interest in EMS! If you would like to send me your name/mailing address via PM, I will mail you a totally decent stethoscope and a more current EMS book that I have laying around. That should get you started. Don't put off class until life gets in the way!

Learn about EMS of the past. I feel that it's important that students know where we've been, so they know how we got to where we are. Positive or negative, history should also be included in the EMT's curriculum.