EMT-I or EMT-P

A B will say B.

An I will say I. There will be a fight between the I-85 & I-99.

A CC will say CC.

A P will say P... But P is high.

Did you actually put any thought into your post before submitting it, or did you just submit anything just to see your name on the website?

The bottom line is this, Paramedic skills are not only better for your patient, but they are also more marketable.

I've noticed a trend lately. EMS seems to be nothing more than a 'fill in' career choice until people can get their education in other fields. This puts EMS on the same level as waiting tables and flipping burgers. No wonder we aren't taken seriously as a profession!

For those of you that know Dust, I'm going to quote him. I know, I know, there's a shock right there....

Dust used to say "If you're gonna go, go big; or keep your ass at home."

I used to get aggravated that he would say that, and not continue the debate any further. As I continue my education, I can actually see his point.

No, it's not to flaunt his higher education, it wasn't to act like a 'Paragod'...it was his passion for the profession of EMS, and what was actually best for the patient.

If you look realistically at EMS education; you’ll realize that it’s woefully lacking in critical information starting even at the Basic level.

Another expression that used to aggravate me is paraphrased in ERDoc’s signature: “It's not what you don't know that will kill your patients. It is what you don't know that you don't know that will kill them.”

If you’re truly interested in the EMS profession, it’s time to stop treating it like a hobby. Either commit fully and go as far as you can, or get out. People’s lives hang in the balance, and you as a prehospital care provider are doing a great disservice to not only yourselves; but to your patients as well.

To the OP:

You mentioned your quest to obtain a BS degree. In what field are you actively persuing your degree? Is it even EMS related?

If your degree is in some career/profession other than EMS or medical field, why are you even in EMS?

LS

Food for thought:

Book-schooled personnel at higher scope of practice without experience, or experienced personnel over a longer time frame? Which do you want to be? Which would you want to be treating yourself?

(Did I just open a can of worms?)

I really can't speak for SC, because i don't know what their scope of practice is. But in some states, There is very little difference between EMT-I and EMT-P. In Maryland, the only difference between the two, is nasal intubation, and the 4 paralytic drugs. The protocols are also completely the same. But, Maryland is crazy! They call their EMT-I medics, and their EMT-P are called Paramedic. Anyway, I am always an advocate of higher education. But, I also understand that sometimes, you just need to get some education, so you can make some money, so you can get some further education. That being said, I would say get your EMT-I, and work and make some money while going further. Don't stop there!

Sorry for the rambling post, these pain meds are not doing me or my grammar any favors

Let me fix this, being a paramedic in Maryland. As a paramedic, I do not have to call medical control for every little thing I want to do, whereas the EMT-I does have to call. Although that's pretty awesome that I do not have to waste any time consulting, it stinks for the EMT-I because they do not have the education to adequately explain their situation and needs in such a way that the consulting physician will grant orders. I hear the expression "the protocol says to call and ask" as a reason quite a bit. Since I've been a paramedic, I've never gotten turned down for anything I've requested, be it an intervention, drug, or to not follow the protocol and not administer a drug because of a patient's unique condition. That is where further education in physiology and pharmacology factor into play.

In addition, EMT-I's can do any CCT's, none of the meds or vents are in their approved scope.

EMT-I in Maryland serves one purpose: to create an ALS provider in a fast and cheap manner, so they can get into a career fire department. I do not know of anyone that became an actual full fledged paramedic just to become a career fire fighter, but I know numerous EMT-I's that could care less about medicine and only obtained this certification to get or maintain a career fire job.

Go big or go home, get your paramedic, don't settle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.