New job offer!

fakingpatience

I just got a job offer with a huge EMS company in my town! Thanks to all of your guys's help with the pressure points, I passed all the testing, and was offered a job on the spot at my interview thumbsup.gif

Now i just need to decide, do I want to go with the huge EMS agency, or the tiny one which I think (hope) will also offer me a job.

I am trying to make a list of pros/ cons, but almost everything I can think of falls into both categories, for example:

Big agency has larger call volume: good for more experience, won't be bored, bad because could be to busy (I heard no rest in all 12 hours of shift)

Small agency is a small agency: more personalize, not a corporation mindset, but could end up being over taken by big agency

Big agency pays for paramedic education at local community college (which is not CAAHEP accredited), but I don't really need the money for education (I have a grant I earned that I can use for any further education within 5 years)

Small agency does not run any general transport trucks, where as with big agency, I might be stuck doing general transport for a while

Big agency runs a tierd system with BLS cars and a medic fly car, and Small agency runs all ALS cars (EMT and medic)

Both pay is almost exactly the same

Is there anything specific that you guys think I should look into when considering both agencies?

Are you a new EMT? If you are, the big agency is the way to go.. strictly for the call volume. I run 10 times the calls at my big agency than others do at the smaller ones and that experience is totally the way to go. As you noted, call volumes mean standup 48s happen. It is exhausting but it is amazing what you learn you can do.

I think if you are new, you will always wonder if you could have hacked it at the high volume place.. but maybe that's just my own particular brand of crazy.

Are you a new EMT? If you are, the big agency is the way to go.. strictly for the call volume. I run 10 times the calls at my big agency than others do at the smaller ones and that experience is totally the way to go. As you noted, call volumes mean standup 48s happen. It is exhausting but it is amazing what you learn you can do.

I think if you are new, you will always wonder if you could have hacked it at the high volume place.. but maybe that's just my own particular brand of crazy.

Im not brand brand new... I was a volunteer EMT for a little under a year, in a system where we ran ~4 calls a shift (we did 12 hour shifts where I volunteered), but yeah, I am still pretty new. The good thing is that it shouldn't be 48s with the big agency, they said for the most part they also run 12s.

Benefits? Do they both offer same insurance, vacation, sick, retirement, etc? The answer to that might point you as to which is better.

Im not brand brand new... I was a volunteer EMT for a little under a year, in a system where we ran ~4 calls a shift (we did 12 hour shifts where I volunteered), but yeah, I am still pretty new. The good thing is that it shouldn't be 48s with the big agency, they said for the most part they also run 12s.

At a slow service 48's are great. You work 2 days and get 4 days off. I work 48 hours on 96 off. Lets me have lots of time for family and fun. I trade around some and work 96 and off 8 days. Like a vacation w/o burning vacation time. Now at a busy service with little chance of sleep I would not agree to work longer than a 12 hour shift for your and your patients safety.

Just my personal opinion I would say go with the service that has the higher call volume. If all things are equal otherwise (benefits, vacation, ect) the experience from the call volume will be great. I personally work in a service with extremely low call volume 1 or 2 a week basically and the lack of experience is litterly mind numbing.

Also I would consider in the pros and cons the other employees. These will be the folks you will be working with. Do they rotate crews or once assigned you're with them always. I would rather be with the same crew that way after awhile you and your partner(s) flow and dont need much interaction to know what the other needs or is doing.

I work in this manner, same partners going on 2 years now. Each knows their roll and we dont need much communication to get things done. Also we know which calls each other are strongest on and rotate duties accordingly. It seems to others outside the community that we are not talking or look mad but its just concintration and that second hand feel to our personal dynamics during a call.

In the end it will be your decision and you'll make the right call.

Congrats on the new job BTW :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Just updating you guys, I have decidid to go with the smaller

agency. The call volume will be less than half but all

units are ALS and I heard and get the impression that they treat their employees much better. I have decidid it is important to me to be treated like a valueed employee rather then just a warm body filling the emt spot

Excellent choice. I don't think there was a 'bad' choice here..

Let us know how it goes?

Dwayne

thanks Dwane, I am so excitied to start, I think this company will be great to work for even if it means running less calls, they seem to really care about their employees. I will let y'all know how it goes!

thanks Dwane, I am so excitied to start, I think this company will be great to work for even if it means running less calls, they seem to really care about their employees. I will let y'all know how it goes!

I actaully think you made the right choice.

Remember more call volume does not always mean more calls. What I mean by that is this, the big huge entity runs both 911 and transfers. The higher call volume in this case includes the transfers which there are times in that type of service that all you will be doing one day is doing transfers. Other days you might only do 911 it all depends on the timing of where you are at.

I have also found that the big behemoth ambulance services look upon their employees as a number and not a person. Firings for minor infractions are commonplace. I know this firsthand because I've worked for one of the behemoth services and vowed NEVER again.

A smaller service like the one mentioned offer less calls but consider running non-stop, not getting to eat except from vending machines, sitting in your ambulance for up to 14 to 24 hours and not getting any downtime. Is getting to run more calls really worth it?

I think you made the right decision, let us know in 6 months what you think.

Just updating you guys, I have decidid to go with the smaller

agency. The call volume will be less than half but all

units are ALS and I heard and get the impression that they treat their employees much better. I have decidid it is important to me to be treated like a valueed employee rather then just a warm body filling the emt spot

In my experience you made the right choice:

Having worked for small mom & pop services that treated us like family members and then worked for a large multi state operation where you were a warm body to use and abuse, there is no comparison.

As stated the big boys will use you up and spit you out at a whim.

They don't care about an individuals personal life , only the bottom line of business.

Realize that as a basic on an ALS truck, you will spend most of your time driving , take every advantage to learn from your partner.

Good luck and enjoy your new position.