SSM for the Fire Department

WolfmanHarris

News Article

Found the fact the Fire Trucks are now going to have to move about the city to some extent interesting.

At my service we don't do SSM, but we do move about to different bases to cover for high call volume areas.

Link is broken... but if what you are saying is the same as what I am thinking... what a waste of fuel!

FDNY fire fighting units get redeployed to cover empty "houses", when the companies normally thereat are working an extended or multi-alarm operation, or are at the Fire Academy for training sessions.

What the article describes sounds like what FDNY EMS does on days when any area gets temporarily overwhelmed with calls, or units get stuck in the ERs for various reasons, but as "routine", not to cover for units taken out of the matrix due to budget cuts.

About bloody time we got those firefighters to sit at some crappy gas station for hours on end, lets see them sleep and play scrabopogle in the fire truck

Jack Stout eat your eeart out! :D

Agreed ! Time to have FF do the SSM thingy.

I fully agree with moving apparatus around for staging and more efficient location when others are out doing whatever. I can speak from experience though, it sucks A LOT having to sit in the cab of a fire engine for 3hrs while staging (especially when you are the nozzle guy and sitting in the middle of two guys twice your size). But that is besides the point. Sitting around all day doing nothing is not justified for the pay they receive.. but they will whine anyway when they have to do something other than put wet stuff on red stuff.

I retract my previous post because I misunderstood the topic at hand.. I thought they wanted the fire fighters to drive around all shift. (the link wasn't working when I originally posted)