EMT Training

I Would Like to Become an EMT when I Turn 16, What Would be the Requirements for Training? Would I be able to take training early so that when I turn 16 I am ready to go? I am 14 and turning 15 in December. I know I am sort of jumping the gun by thinking so far ahead, but I heard training takes awhile and I would like to be ready so that when I turn 16 in 1.45 years I will be able to start right away. And what training would I need? I live in PA and I can become an EMT when I turn 16. Thank You for your time and answers.

• Like 1

First off, welcome to the city.

Second, the state of Pennsylvania allows EMTs at age 16? If that is the case, just know that 18 is the minimum age in New York State.

Next, may I suggest you look up what the requirements are for being an EMT, which should be listed on the State Department Of Health's website.

Finally, while I see "Spunk" here ("I hate spunk!"- Lou Grant, "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"), just keep in mind that the field of EMS you are soon to enter, is always evolving, so that what you might learn today, a year prior to being in the classes, might change, even to the point of being eliminated from State protocols, when you are actually in the class. Admittedly, the text books might be a good head start.

A few points to remember, which never evolve: Lift with your legs, not your back; listen to your instructors and preceptors, as they were some time back, the newbies on the ambulance, and for now, know more than you do. If you are going to ask questions, be careful on the timing as when you ask. The only stupid questions are the ones that, if not asked, are going to be the ones that bite you in the butt. (Try to keep the "What If" questions to a minimum, there's too many of them)

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors in the EMS field.

Richard B, the EMT

(Tech-ing, driving, or dispatching ambulances from 1973)

The requirement is that you be 16 years of age to take the written test, and have a pulse. A parent has to sign the application as well. You are a full fledged EMT, once the course is passed. However, you are restricted by law to be with another person of equal or higher training, that is age 18 years of age or more, in order to treat a patient. That is an assumed regulation, and nothing changes when you turn 18. That's not to say that you can't arrive upon a victim, and not care for them.

I would encourage it, in some cases you can get college credits. It helps to build a foundation for roles in leadership, responsibility and self confidence. Just make sure you use it like an extra curricular activity, and put your main focus on your high school education. I'm a big supporter of youth programs, even if I'm outspoken.

I can only attest to what I have done. When I was 16 I started as a Volunteer Firefighter, That fall I took the Outdoor Emergency Care Technition (National Ski Patrol) class and patrolled that winter. The book covered the requirements of EMT-B and has the same scope on the ski hill. I then took First Responder to be able to help in the FD (the OEC wasnt recognised off the hill) at 17 and when I was 18 I took my EMT-B. The other classes gave me a base to be able to practice my skills at before I was legal to become an EMT-B. As was mentioned protocalls change regularly, And you can't take the NR-EMT any longer than a year post class. I don't know how the testing and certification process is back East as I am from Washington state. The other thing that my be allowed depends entirly on your school district. Myself, I had completed all of my curriculam prior to my Sr. year of high school. All I had to do was fill credit hours with electives. I was able to do a "school to work internship" with a combination of local hospitals and local ambulance agencies. I reported on the hours that I attended, the calls I ran, and the skills I practiced. I was lucky enough to win the Presidential Freedom Scholorship for Volunteerism for it. The combination of all the above made me top of my class when I did take my class.

Timmy you started young too, whats your suggestions for the kid

Fireman1037

As was mentioned protocalls change regularly, And you can't take the NR-EMT any longer than a year post class.

According to the NREMT website:

Successful completion of a state-approved EMT-Basic course that meets or exceeds the U.S. Department of Transportation EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum. You must have completed the course within the past two years. Your Program Director must verify your successful completion of the course on the NREMT web site

1. "NREMT - EMT-Basic." National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians. National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, n.d. Web. 15 Jul 2010. <https://www.nremt.org/nremt/about/reg_basic_history.asp>.

PA doesn't require NREMTB, so that doesn't affect the course at all. In fact, we were given forms in case we wanted NR, and would have had to travel to Indianapolis just to test.

I Would Like to Become an EMT when I Turn 16, What Would be the Requirements for Training? Would I be able to take training early so that when I turn 16 I am ready to go? I am 14 and turning 15 in December. I know I am sort of jumping the gun by thinking so far ahead, but I heard training takes awhile and I would like to be ready so that when I turn 16 in 1.45 years I will be able to start right away. And what training would I need? I live in PA and I can become an EMT when I turn 16. Thank You for your time and answers.

You Go boy Go ... we need forward thinking young people to keep we old farts in line !

Lone: although it can be two years since you took the class, it has to have been less then a year since you have taken practicals, for NREMT. But, like 4c already mentioned, PA does not recognize NREMT at the basic level, so it would not effect him.

Actually, I don't know where dominic is located in PA, but I know the high school i graduated from has a Votech program, in which you can complete EMT-B classes in your last 2 years of high school, during school hours. I know the majority of high schools in my county do the same. My reccomendation for you Dominic, is to get involved, I know here all you need is CPR and they will let you ride along on the ambulance. Your local fire company might be the way to start. And no, you can't take the class before you are 16. It is only a one semester class here.

You can take a CPR class as young as 10, so you're old enough for that class. There are volunteer fire departments that have junior programs in some areas. You can often join at 12 or 14. Although you can't ride any equipment, work on patients, or any other emergency related details, they often have trainings that the juniors are welcomed to attend. I know of some departments that have substantial junior memberships and they do all sorts of fun trainings with them including getting out the manikins and running scenarios, setting up mazes and allowing them to gear up, and of course, many let them ride in parades. If you find the right department you can have fun, learn a lot, and most importantly, stay off the streets and out of trouble. Most departments also require their juniors to maintain a certain GPA which hopefully helps the kids keep from flunking out of school or repeating grades.

I'm all for these junior programs. Hopefully it serves to keep kids off the streets, off drugs, out of gangs, and help them to develop a sense of responsibility.

What is your region in PA? I'm in York Co, and our region is under the EMS Federation. I'm not sure how many counties fall under the Federation, but their website is www.ehsf.org. There is some information on that website, although I'll warn you now, it's sometimes difficult to navigate. Good luck and keep us posted.

In my area, our juniors get to ride the trucks, and ambulances, if they are first responder trained they can assist, ( i think you can get that at 14 but not sure) and pretty much do anything outside on a fire scene. It is a pretty good program. At my station you have to provide working papers, and report cards for every quarter, and must comply with the national labor laws for how often they can be in the station. They have to sign in and out, so that they are not there too much, and they are restricted as to what hours they can run calls or be in the station.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.