Question from an "Experienced" individual

Ok,here is the background. I retired from the US Navy about 12 years ago;I have been working as a Home Inspector/School Bus Driver since then, but the Home Inspection has mostly died thanks to the real estate market. 5 years ago, I got my emt license because that is what I really wanted to do if I couldn't do home inspections, but due to commitments beyond my control, I was unable to work as an EMT and continued with keeping Home Inspections. The more it died off, the more I "dreamed" of pursuing the EMT which is what I had in my mind that I wanted to do.

Now flash forward to present, I am reregistering for the upcoming EMT class at my local college to pursue the EMT again, I truly hope that I get accepted into the paramedic class for next year because that is where I would like to be.

Drawback, I am 47 years old, that means that I will be 48 when I begin working as an EMT and possibly 49-50 for Paramedic. For those that hire people at your service/hospital; is that doable or am I just too damn old?

I don't know if it is as much a function of age as much as physical ability and/or attitude. I think your military background would help you stand a much better chance of being hired on. Although it is much later then many others start with EMS, I do know a couple of other people who have done it and have been quite successful. I do know for sure that life experience counts in this job, so you do have a good foundation.

Dude, here in aus, you need a degree to get into most services, and yet we have people your age becoming paramedics all the time.

Just do it, you wont regret it!

Depends on where you want to go with it. Hospital based won't be a problem, but if you wanted to go fire service, most have age limits. As for a private provider- I think they would love to have someone with your experience and maturity. When I was hiring, I brought in a couple military guys and they were great.

Good luck.

I've got a guy in my medic class right now who's the same age as my dad (early 50s). He's been an EMT forever, started the medic class when he lost his job as a drug rep. He's doing just fine (actually, he's usually at the top of the class). Otherwise, most of my class is in their early to mid-thirties. I'm actually almost the youngest at 27 (there's one 20yo). Age isn't everything, go for it!

edited for typo

Edited by maverick56

[sarcasm]

If that's 'too old', I'd better just quit now!

At 45, I'm currently in college pushing for my Associates Degree in Paramedic Technology. I've had several 'setbacks' along the way. Maybe they were 'signs' from above that I should just give up!

[/sarcasm]

The bottom line is this: What do YOU want to do? If you're physically able to do the job at hand, then there's NOTHING that can stand in your way.

I've worked with medics that are into their late 50's - early 60's that were more than able to do the job of people half their ages! The ONLY thing that can prevent you from reaching this goal is you!

Not only am I pushing for my Associates Degree in Paramedicine, I'm also considering a second degree as a 'fall back' option.

• Like 2

I retired after 25 years in systems consulting, got my emt because they told me I had to have that before becoming a paramedic and enrolled directly into the best paramedic program I could find. I graduated at 50 and hit the streets as a baby paramedic without a day of experience. Im not advocating that as the smartest thing to do, but 2000 calls later, I am the happiest I have ever been in my life.

Mind you, I work out with a personal trainer 2 to 3 days a week and keep my weight under control. Healthy eating and living may be an option for the kids but for me it is mandatory.

It is challenging, frustrating, maddening, exhausting, demoralizing, uplifting and has given me some of the best experiences of my life. I plan to do it until I am 70 - God willing.

Good luck to you.

• Like 1

I know several paramedics that are in their early 60's.. and EMT's in their late 70's. Met one guy that took the class at 76. If they're physically able to do it, why stop them? They're never alone, and they don't drive, the extra hands are welcome, and the Autopulse prevents the need for them to do CPR.

I know several paramedics that are in their early 60's.. and EMT's in their late 70's. Met one guy that took the class at 76. If they're physically able to do it, why stop them? They're never alone, and they don't drive, the extra hands are welcome, and the Autopulse prevents the need for them to do CPR.

I worked with the oldest paramedic in Missouri at one time. She was around 84 or so. She forgot more about EMS than our entire system knew.

She could do anything us young 24 year old whippersnappers could do.

I do not know what happened to her after I left the service but if she was able I'm sure that she would still be working a rig 18 years later. That would make her nearly 100. I'm sure she's dead now but who knows, maybe she's providing EMS for those in heaven?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.