Stethoscope suggestions?

Ive had the 3M™ Littmann® Lightweight II S.E. for almost 6 years now. I love using this stethoscope. At the time when i purchased it, it was about $70. Now I think it is down around $50. You are able to hear most everything with it. Its better than the cheap ones but its not going to break the bank either. To me I pretty much field tested it and you can still obtain a B/P, Lungs sounds etc. while going down the road and even running hot. Its been Medic tested, and still looks like it just came out of the box. So when you buy your stethoscope plan on buying one that you plan on using for the begining of your medic career. Hope this imput helps. Good Luck with school

I have found that it is not so much what you put in your ears as much as what is between them that really counts! ... Yes, quality stethoscope does matter if one is trying to distinguish clicks, murmors, tones... etc.. which most EMS medics never perform or even understand.

Purchase one that meets your expectations...

R/r 911

• Like 2

I have found that it is not so much what you put in your ears as much as what is between them that really counts!

R/r 911

Well look what the cat dragged in ... Rid where have you been ? stuck in the time warp called Oklahoma ?

Welcome Back.

I've never been able to understand the need that some people have to go out and spend $50.00 on up to well over a couple hundred dollars for a stethescope that's going to get thrown around, beat up and quite possibly stolen just to be able to brag that they have a Littmann.

Like Rid said, it's not what you put in your ears that counts. There's way too many spending high dollars on a stethescope that is only relegated to taking blood pressures and maybe lung sounds.

I'm not saying that these stethescopes don't have their purpose and use, but really...in the field?

I can understand a medic requiring a more sensitive stethoscope, because they're educated and trained to interpret more than a Basic and Intermediate is. BLS is far underutilizing a stethescope like a Littmann.

I've also seen Paramedics do some amazing things with a simple sprague style as well.

Echoing Rid and Lone's post

I cannot see anyone spending 100 or more for a stethoscope. I've seen some medics that have those electronic stethoscopes that cost upwards of a couple hundred just seems absurd. When I hear a provider tell me that he needs this 200 stethoscope that is better than 95% of all the doctors have that he comes into contact with just makes me think WHACKER!

Ever seen the facial expressions of a physician who hears a medic tell him about hearing S1 and S2's? It's priceless.

My personal physician, old school, uses a simple double tube stethoscope for the general population of his patients. He goes to the Littman high high dollar one when he needs it but he tells me that even he doesn't need to have a super duper handy dandy fancy shmancy high dollar stethoscope to tell him S1 and S2's and pleuritc rubs.

So in all seriousness, get the stethoscope that fits your needs.

If you are a provider doing IFT's or simple transfers do you really need a high dollar stethoscope?

Acute care delivery is a different story but again, do you really need a 200 stethoscope when it's only going to be used to take blood pressures and listen to lung sounds.

Critical care transports or pediatric transports(high acuity) then maybe you do need one of the high quality stethoscopes.

Why not buy a low priced stethoscope and use the money you saved to add to your belt equipment assortment.

• 2 months later...

One can always experiment with the "El Cheep-o" scopes. Sometimes one can get lucky. Over 38 years, I wore out quite a few of them, before I went a bit more upscale in prices. Still not spending over $45.00, and that's only when the tubes get worn out. It's at least 5 years between sets, for me, and I use them a lot, admittedly mostly for BPs and breath sounds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.