Students Kicked Off Campus for Wearing American Flag Tees

Lone Star

My first knee jerk reaction was for those boys who wore the patriotic shirts. After hearing the story better from local news (I'm about an hour away, so its big here) I feel differently.

In years past, there have been issues with students wearing both American and Mexico flags and it always causes problems. So, last year the school made it a rule for NOBODY is to bring a flag to school. These boys wore shirts, but did not wave flags, so yeah, technically they broke NO rules. I'm not stupid, I know they picked May 5th for a reason, and that reason was to either get attention, or to be instigators. I am pretty confident they knew there were gonna stir up some $h!t for that. I guess you have to decide if they truly broke any school rules or not. I don't think they did. I however agree with them either changing their shirts, or being sent home on the sheer fact they seemed to want to cause trouble or get attention. The Latino vice principal I believe did the right thing. However, I do believe that with whats going on with Arizona that the Hispanic community there is on fire and wound up tight, and looking for any excuse to be offended. I believe that they are the ones that turned this into a racial issue, not the kids who wore the shirts. And now, I think its gotten way outta hand. I really hope that this just dies down and goes away. It will be interesting to see how the school handles it from here on out, and how the surrounding communities decide to deal with it as well. In my humble opinion it never started out as a "racial" deal, but boys being boys.

• Like 1

That's complete crap and is absolutely a violation of their civil rights IF there is no policy about wearing those shirts bandannas on any other day of the year. There is no reason for any such restriction on their clothing choices, to send them home or demand they change is ridiculous. I hope they follow up and fight this.

• Like 1

My first knee jerk reaction was for those boys who wore the patriotic shirts. After hearing the story better from local news (I'm about an hour away, so its big here) I feel differently.

In years past, there have been issues with students wearing both American and Mexico flags and it always causes problems. So, last year the school made it a rule for NOBODY is to bring a flag to school. These boys wore shirts, but did not wave flags, so yeah, technically they broke NO rules. I'm not stupid, I know they picked May 5th for a reason, and that reason was to either get attention, or to be instigators. I am pretty confident they knew there were gonna stir up some $h!t for that. I guess you have to decide if they truly broke any school rules or not. I don't think they did. I however agree with them either changing their shirts, or being sent home on the sheer fact they seemed to want to cause trouble or get attention. The Latino vice principal I believe did the right thing. However, I do believe that with whats going on with Arizona that the Hispanic community there is on fire and wound up tight, and looking for any excuse to be offended. I believe that they are the ones that turned this into a racial issue, not the kids who wore the shirts. And now, I think its gotten way outta hand. I really hope that this just dies down and goes away. It will be interesting to see how the school handles it from here on out, and how the surrounding communities decide to deal with it as well. In my humble opinion it never started out as a "racial" deal, but boys being boys.

The kids wore the shirts to show their support of the USA. I'm in the conclusion that they did possibly do this to show defiance of the cinco de mayo day but even the Superintendant and the school district administration do not support the vice principals actions.

If it was inappropriate to wear the shirt on that day then it's inappropriate to wear the shirts any other day. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

This whole cowtowing down to special interests and certain portions of society makes me sick. I already posted a response on facebook and have received much praise, but I have been called a bigot over it too. Well screw those who think I'm a bigot.

I don't hold anything against those immigrants that are here legally but if you come here illegally and expect to get all the benefits of the country you invaded (illegally entered), then you don't qualify but those retards in Washington who look the other way with this shit makes me really pissed.

don't get me started.

...I'm not stupid, I know they picked May 5th for a reason, and that reason was to either get attention, or to be instigators. I am pretty confident they knew there were gonna stir up some $h!t for that. I guess you have to decide if they truly broke any school rules or not. I don't think they did. I however agree with them either changing their shirts, or being sent home on the sheer fact they seemed to want to cause trouble or get attention. The Latino vice principal I believe did the right thing...

It breaks my heart to think that anyone would think that wearing, waving, exhibiting an American flag anywhere, at any time in the United States would be considered an instigation for violence. If wearing them was to stir up some shit then those that would be 'stirred' should then revoke their own rights to the privileges that they enjoy here and move to a place where they don't find the national flag offensive.

I acknowledge americans. I care not one whit of their color, sexuality, national origin, social status, religion. I will be happy to help feed you, to educate your children, to carry you if need be, until you find your way, but don't ever, ever ask me to address you as African American, or Chinese American, or Polish American. We stand together here, as one people of many backgrounds. If it's not sufficient for you to be American, so be it, you should feel free to move on. But if you commit, I will stand besides you, no matter what, American with American.

I love the speech below.. (partial)

'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American... There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

God bless you all, but if you choose to be offended by a symbol of the country that supports you, that fields the military that protects you, that feeds you when you're poor...then I'm afraid I have no respect nor patience for your hypocrisy. I would have worn my flag t-shirt right to the hospital, along with all of those that tried to remove it from me.

Dwayne

• Like 2

You know, the ironic thing is that Cinco de Mayo isn't even an important holiday in Mexico.

Hispanic. California was first colonized by the Mexican empire.

Actually, the Spanish empire being here predates Mexico. Also, as with all of the relative recent history of North America, I'm sure that the natives would argue about who was here first.

You know, the ironic thing is that Cinco de Mayo isn't even an important holiday in Mexico.

Actually, the Spanish empire being here predates Mexico. Also, as with all of the relative recent history of North America, I'm sure that the natives would argue about who was here first.

Who do you mean when you say 'natives?'

http://www.independe...ope-609699.html

http://www.utexas.ed.../1stpersons.htm

Or perhaps this needs a thread of it's own.. :-)

Dwayne

Who do you mean when you say 'natives?'

http://www.independe...ope-609699.html

http://www.utexas.ed.../1stpersons.htm

Or perhaps this needs a thread of it's own.. :-)

Dwayne

...because there comes a time when a group of people have lived in a specific area long enough that they become "from" that area. My ancestors immigrated from Europe, yet I do not claim to be, nor feel European. I am an American, even though I'm only something like 3rd or 4th generation on my Dad's side. Similarly, regardless of where native Americans originally hailed from, by the time Europeans stumbled their way over here they've been around for a while. If we really want to go this route, then I guess we're all Middle Eastern a la the Cradle of Civilization theory.

...because there comes a time when a group of people have lived in a specific area long enough that they become "from" that area. My ancestors immigrated from Europe, yet I do not claim to be, nor feel European. I am an American, even though I'm only something like 3rd or 4th generation on my Dad's side. Similarly, regardless of where native Americans originally hailed from, by the time Europeans stumbled their way over here they've been around for a while. If we really want to go this route, then I guess we're all Middle Eastern a la the Cradle of Civilization theory.

I have just two things to say to you....

First, very poor decision on my part to hijack this thread by going in this direction.

Second, if we should choose to continue down this path, you'll just kick my ass anyway, so we should go back to the OPs topic. :-) My interest in this came from a National Geographic special that claimed that the 9 oldest skeletons found in North America were caucasoid and the fight that the Indian Nations put forth for a chance to examine them. Many were subsequently 'lost' after giving them that privilege.

Regardless, it still didn't belong in this thread.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dwayne

To start with, I doubt the boys wore those shirts to 'stir shit' due to the fact that the article clearly states that they've worn those shirts in the past with no repercussions.

Whether it was a case of intentionally 'stirring shit' or not, there has to be a couple things remembered here:

1. This is the United States of America, not Mexico. If ANY flag is superior to any other flag, the American flag gets the 'top spot'.

2. While Cinco de Mayo may be an important date in Mexico's history, this ain't Mexico! Sure, celebrate the holidays of your native land; but remember this: The United States shouldn't be expected to give those holidays the same reverence that Mexico might!

I for one am getting sick and tired of having to show 'respect' for other cultures holidays, rites and religions at the expense of my own!

While the entire concept of "political correctness" may have been a noble one at it's inception, this is clearly another case of taking things to 'extremes', and having the rights and liberties of the American people trampled once again!