Why You Should Always Ask What Kind Of Doctor

uglyEMT

In all honesty, I'd sooner go to the town Vet, than my personal physician. The town doctor. Not your typical small town doctor. He should either be deported or committed, does NOT do well in an emergency.

I am repeating on what my EMT instructor told in class. His Medical Program Director supplied business cards to his emt's and medics to give to Docs offering help, stating Thank you for your willingness to help. These EMT's are under my license under my protocals, If you agree to help you will be taking fully liablity for this patient and you will be practicing under your own license and malpractice insurance. Needless to say most doctors left the scene alone

Fireman1037

Just curious (since this plays to the entire point of my post with various reasons why a physician might be on scene), but if you get called to transport a patient at a doctor's office, do you give the same speech/card to the office staff and physician?

Just curious (since this plays to the entire point of my post with various reasons why a physician might be on scene), but if you get called to transport a patient at a doctor's office, do you give the same speech/card to the office staff and physician?

The physician has treated the patient, who is already under their care, they are aware of their PMH, their current condition, and the possible issues they may have. By calling EMS, they are giving tacit approval that the patient is stable enough to be transported without further intervention by the doctor and they are essentially ceding the fact they cannot do anything further for them in their office setting.

Why would a speech be necessary in such a case?

I have had patients from doctors offices who are critical, but in their offices, the docs are less equipped to handle them than we are. Most doctors do not have much in the way of ACLS drugs in their offices. I've had patients in CHF, for example, and as a courtesy, I've explained to the doc what we were planning to do per our protocols, and they have always agreed with our plan. I have had a couple old timers that were amazed we were able to provide so much care.

The physician has treated the patient, who is already under their care, they are aware of their PMH, their current condition, and the possible issues they may have. By calling EMS, they are giving tacit approval that the patient is stable enough to be transported without further intervention by the doctor and they are essentially ceding the fact they cannot do anything further for them in their office setting.

Why would a speech be necessary in such a case?

I don't know, but with how I'm reading the following posts, it seems that a few people think it does.

While asking what type of MD is a good start, I think you'll find, that, probably in most states, an MD that begins care is REQUIRED to accompany the patient to the hospital!

If one asks to help after you're on scene, and have begun patient care, and you allow it, he/she also will need to go with the pt.

...and when I proposed the office call as a reason why the physician wouldn't need to ride along, the following reply occured

I am repeating on what my EMT instructor told in class. His Medical Program Director supplied business cards to his emt's and medics to give to Docs offering help, stating Thank you for your willingness to help. These EMT's are under my license under my protocals, If you agree to help you will be taking fully liablity for this patient and you will be practicing under your own license and malpractice insurance. Needless to say most doctors left the scene alone

A patient in a doctor's office has begun care of the patient, determined that an emergency condition exists and that the patient needs to be referred expediently to an emergency department while being monitored. Given the above responses, it seems that some would want to force the referring physician to ride along with the ambulance.

Years ago, I was coming back from PA, traveling along the highway talking with my partner on our nextels. I say "James, hang on this clown on his crotch rocket is gonna....." and it happened. He hits car, he goes over hood, leg stays on bike. I stop, call the police and tell him where I am, and what kind of crash it is, and send everyone and everything. I tie off about the knee, and lucky me another EMT came up, we start the whole assessment thing, and a fella runs up and says hes a doctor, sees the wound and passes out. Gotta love this life we have.....

Years ago I heard that LEGALLY a Vet can treat a human but it is illegal for a Doctor (MD) to treat an animal. There was a case recently in Ireland where a wounded Criminal (shot by police and escaped) was brought by his gang to a vet and was treated by the vet (vet was forced at gunpoint to act.

I've called the vet to report my cat to be ill, she used to get kidney infections from our water. But that was fixed with an uber-filter.. However, I still call now and then when I need an antibiotic. I can go to my doctor, pay $90 co-pay, and then $15 for the Rx, which is usually a liquid b/c in years past I wouldn't swallow pills. Or.. I can call and say the cat is sick, and get the same Rx, for $4. Yeah, it's wrong. But I ain't rich, and I don't like to pay someone that much, to tell me something I already know. ...and they don't phone in prescriptions anymore.

I'd sooner trust either a full time ER Doctor or Nurse, than just someone who has an MD behind their name.

Amen to that!

Imagine how bad it's going to be if noctors get independent practice rights.

A what?

Years ago I heard that LEGALLY a Vet can treat a human but it is illegal for a Doctor (MD) to treat an animal.... vet was forced at gunpoint to act.

Obviously, extenuating circumstance.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.