Trauma: Episode18 (Season Finale)

Comments from me probably will go up after 1330

Tomorrow?

Mine will probably be up after that. I can't stay awake any longer today, so I'll have to watch it online tomorrow.

OK, after watching Trauma, then Law and Order, and then CSI Miami on taped delay this AM, I open my notes re Trauma for the following posting (Yes, I know I am earlier than my projected 1330, following The Young and the Restless, but I got up earlier than usual today).

1) Greg and Nancy just rush through an open door with nobody to greet them. Where is the Scene Safety Survey?

2) Nancy doing CPR...to herself?

3) Explanation of #2= Dream sequence. Is Bobby Ewing going to show up in her shower next?

4) Rabbit asks Nancy to consider getting a bigger apartment for living together, instead of the 2 cramped apartments they currently rent separately, while living together in Nancy's.

5) What kind of Tech Troubles cause dispatch to say a different field staging location than the one just told them by a crew, when not directing them to the alternative location in the first place? "Negative that location, you're needed to stage at..." Didn't do that.

6) Nice MOI (Method Of Injury) of garroting with barbed wire while riding an ATV.

7) Cell phone coverage "choppy", is this tied into whatever is going to follow?

8) In NYC, the NYPD helicopters can clear from one side of the city to the other in a max of 14 minutes (per NYPD Aviation sources). A 20 minute helicopter response in the smaller town of San Francisco seems outlandish to me.

9) Boyfriend or not, Marisa abandoned her post to go visit him. How do you cover an hour with a helicopter? Penalty? Firing!

10) You harass the dispatchers, at minimum, they find grunt work calls for you, at max, they file charges resulting in disciplinary actions against you. Tyler is nuts, but not THAT nuts.

11) Boone and Tyler sent to incorrect address. I have had that happen, and believe most of us have, too. However, no request for land line callback to re-verify the location?

12) Nancy and Greg have a terminal stage 4 CA patient. Why the interest of the colored sand the patient has collected from around the world?

13) Looks like Dr Diane had previous instructions on Nancy's patient, as she's going to a hospice area of the hospital. Seems Diane was expecting this patient without a OLMC contact, which can happen.

14) Why is Nancy interested if Glen had ever been to Cambodia?

15) Tyler speaks the truth- "9-1-1 screws up, people die!"

16) REALLY suspend reality! Has anyone here ever gone on a date with a significant other, or even a prospect of one, by going to a shooting gallery?

17) Time for "Telephone Tag" with Nancy and Rabbit.

18) At least Nancy seems to know the guy she is talking to, while calling Rabbit, is a pickup artist.

19) Tyler doesn't want anything for his birthday from Boone. Will he be disappointed if that is exactly what he gets?

20) Like anybody, Rabbit comments on Marisa's "Gun play" date.

21) I find the likelihood of 2 units being assigned to one call, and neither hearing the other being dispatched, highly unlikely. I find even lower credence that both units would have as big a delay in responding as the show indicated. This was not a major snowstorm in Philly, as per our real life strings of discussion, but a seemingly bright and sunny day in San Francisco.

22) Is Caroline the dispatcher in trouble, or is it the system she works in?

23) Tyler hears from other teams that there are system-wide delays in starting units out to assignments. what gives?

24) If an on-duty unit just shows up at the Comm Center without authorization, wouldn't they (the crew) be in trouble?

25) Tyler finds that call taking and dispatching is not as easy as some would think it to be.

26) Casey, Marisa's boyfriend, assaults the aggressive panhandler. Obviously, he has anger management issues, but then, he is just back from the "sandbox".

27) Boone pesters Tyler to at least let him buy the "Birthday Boy" a drink. Did anyone else feel the whole gang would be there? That is an overworked dramatic/comedic device.

28) Could Nancy be seeing the CA patient as something of a surrogate for her own deceased from CA mother? I'd say yes.

29) While acknowledging that he can't order him to do so, Rabbit encourages Casey to seek out professional help for whatever issues he's having. Why not? Rabbit is following his own advice, and it seems to be working.

30) Nancy just throwing back drinks like I throw back diet colas? Seems out of character for her, or she can't handle her liquor, or both.

31) Rabbit sees Nancy giving Greg a kiss. He doesn't look happy about that. If the series comes back next year, this is probably going to be an issue.

I'll be back later with comments on my own comments. Other tasks to do today, before I continue.

3) Explanation of #2= Dream sequence. Is Bobby Ewing going to show up in her shower next?

Reference-Dallas, when they explained away a bad plot year by having it be a dream of Bobby's wife.

8) In NYC, the NYPD helicopters can clear from one side of the city to the other in a max of 14 minutes (per NYPD Aviation sources). A 20 minute helicopter response in the smaller town of San Francisco seems outlandish to me.

I am told that Textron/Bell Jet Ranger Helicopters are able to travel at about 120-140 miles an hour. Other brands might even go faster.

16) REALLY suspend reality! Has anyone here ever gone on a date with a significant other, or even a prospect of one, by going to a shooting gallery?

I think Lady J would have broken up with me if I had tried that, and besides, there's a bunch of folks I know who would call in the National Guard if they thought I had a gun in my hands. Long story, not for here. (ScoobyKate, you do live in Colorado, after all, what is, I believe, a gun-friendly state)

24) If an on-duty unit just shows up at the Comm Center without authorization, wouldn't they (the crew) be in trouble?

Per departmental lore, a crew challenged a dispatcher on something, and the response from dispatch was determined to be an invite to come down, even if it was to assault the dispatcher. The dispatcher allegedly also bought trouble for the "invite". All 3 were disciplined.

25) Tyler finds that call taking and dispatching is not as easy as some would think it to be.

As the first 11 years of my 25 years time in municipal EMS employ were as a call taker in the EMS end of the city's 9-1-1 system, I can assure everyone in large systems that it is not easy, and nowhere as seemingly easy as the single call Tyler handled, without several hours/days of instruction. If you think it is, come in on your day off for a few hours, just to listen in on a spare headset at the call receiving positions. It will change your mind. Also, while those in the FDNY EMD can go work overtime in a field unit, due to the training necessary, a field unit crew person cannot do the reverse. (Call taking and dispatch operations are actually in separate rooms in the FDNY EMD center)

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.