NJ EMT Volunteer Benefits Question

I work in the sleep field and have wanted to volunteer since I was about 14, I am seriously thinking about it, but there are some things that I have herd and wanted to ask in a forum of people who hopefully wont just say something for the sake of getting another volunteer, so first off I was told that the state of NJ will give any volunteer medical benefits, next, i know it is in Connecticut but wonder if it is in NJ too but I was told that your vehicle and home are tax write offs if you are a volunteer, also, and this one sounds crazy, but you are also only allowed to volunteer for your town...so if anyone from NJ who is a volunteer OR someone who knows the answers to any of this please let me know....

Nope, to my knowledge, none of these are true. But that doesn't mean those should be your only reasons for volunteering!

they aren't by any stretch, but i would like to make sure i know a thing or two about what ive been told so i dont sound like an idiot or something turning to someone and the have to live in the town thing makes no sence because the next town overs squad is less the a min away, i hear the medivac all the time, and my towns is 10-15 min away...and they share calls or something because they always show up together....

If your home and car were write offs for being a volunteer....do you think there would ever be a shortage of volunteers? Do you think people would take a paid EMS job? I sure as hell wouldnt. It would be a better benefit to not work and volunteer if that were the case...

If your home and car were write offs for being a volunteer....do you think there would ever be a shortage of volunteers? Do you think people would take a paid EMS job? I sure as hell wouldnt. It would be a better benefit to not work and volunteer if that were the case...

thats what I was thinking but, I also was figuring it might not be a tax write off so much as maybe a small credit but...that still doesn't make sense....thanks all

Being a volunteer in NJ I can shed some light. No federal tax write-offs sorry. Some towns do give tax breaks on property taxes. Not all towns just some, check your local townhall. We dont get medical insurance, but being an EMS volly some insurance companies offer breaks on rates. We do have LOSAP which is basically an annuity fund that gets paid into by the state if you keep up with your volunteer duties. Google NJ LOSAP for all the details. As far as having to be from said town that again is all local protocall. The town I live in has two squads. Normally calls are broken up by boundry lines but we do cover with mutal aid if necessary. Also volies from both squad can respond to general alarms if necessary. Even FD can be drivers if we need them too. FD and EMS are seperate in my town but we all get along well.

Best advise I can give you is too go to your local squad and ask questions. They would know the specfics of your area. As far as the benifits, those are statewide so I dont think much will change from area to area. Tax breaks, again, are local not statewide so check your local tax office for clarification. My town does not offer the break but the next town over does so thats a good example of just how sporatic it is.

Edited by UGLyEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.