New From New York!

EMTCandidate

Hello All!

I am currently enrolled in an EMT-B course in New York. Very excited to learn everything I can about becoming an EMT and possibly on to becoming a Paramedic. I'd love to hear from anyone about their experiences and level of education. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to chatting with you all!

• Like 1

Welcome to the Madhouse! (from an EMT-B of 37 years experience)

Where are you taking the classes, and at what agency are you going to use the skills? For reference, I am in the FDNY EMS Command, having started in a community based Volunteer Ambulance Corps, and volunteered there concurrently with 5 private ambulance service providers (Inter-Facility Transfer, usually referred to here as ITF), then the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS, prior to the merger into the FDNY. The VAC went under in 1996.

• Like 1

Welcome to the City! Congratulations on your choice in becoming and EMT and a career in EMS. It's very exciting! My advice is learn as much as you can! Follow the people around everyone talks about on how great they are. Ask questions, lots of them. Get your hands dirty and get into things. Read lots, study lots.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Madhouse! (from an EMT-B of 37 years experience)

Where are you taking the classes, and at what agency are you going to use the skills? For reference, I am in the FDNY EMS Command, having started in a community based Volunteer Ambulance Corps, and volunteered there concurrently with 5 private ambulance service providers (Inter-Facility Transfer, usually referred to here as ITF), then the NYC Health and Hospitals Corporation EMS, prior to the merger into the FDNY. The VAC went under in 1996.

I should apologize, I realized I wrote that I was already enrolled in classes however, I've only mailed in my registration fee. The actual classes begin next Thursday. It meets every Tuesday and Thursday evening. I found the course online through Emergency Care Programs. I am not sure what agency I would use my skill for. I'd appreciate any advice or guidance. What are some things I should expect when I finally complete the course? Are some agencies preferred over others as far as employment for technicians? Is it difficult becoming employed by such agencies? Thanks for your reply and introducing yourself! Hope to hear from you again!

Welcome to the City! Congratulations on your choice in becoming and EMT and a career in EMS. It's very exciting! My advice is learn as much as you can! Follow the people around everyone talks about on how great they are. Ask questions, lots of them. Get your hands dirty and get into things. Read lots, study lots.

Thanks! Yea I'm excited about my decision in becoming an EMT. I will definitely learn as much as I possible can. I will pay attention to all of my superiors any senior EMT's and try to learn as much as I can from their experiences. I know I will find great pleasure and satisfaction knowing that I will be able to help someone. I'm sure every day has it's "up's & down's" but I will feel good knowing I made a difference and that my efforts won't go unnoticed. I will STUDY, STUDY, STUDY!!! Thanks for saying hello!

Welcome to the boards. Not much experience to help you here. Only about 3 weeks in the streets. Loving it so far. Learning tons everyday. It is always a leaning experience on a call.

Well, Congratulations to you on completing your course! Good luck with your career! I'm sure it's exciting for you. I'll bet in three weeks, you've learned and seen a lot already. Keep up the good work and when you've experienced anything interesting, I'd love to hear about it. What agency are you working for and how did you get placed there?

Welcome to EMS and the boards here. Glad you've decided a career in EMS and wanting to be a Paramedic eventually. There's many here with 20+ yrs. experience. Just surf around, look and listen and pay attention. If there is any certain question just ask. You'll find out those who you can take a question to.

Just remember, have fun also.

Thanks for the well wishes. The street learning is unbelievable. I work for a private company "Gold Cross EMS" they are a 911 contractor here. Lots of good people that are willing to teach and let you learn while looking out for you. It had been a blast so far.

Most people in EMT classes are getting the training for use at a service provider. I know of a few took the training for enhancement of their training as nurses, health science teachers, and even a few gym teachers.

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the City...like others have said you will find a lot of answers to your questions here. My advise is work as an EMT for atleast a year or two before going on to either advanced ent or paramedic. Any questions contact me 20years busy experience here.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.