Medical Helicopter Requirements?

A friend of mine wants to start a medivac/search and rescue service in our area. The area that I live in is about 1-1.5 hour(s) away from the nearest available helicopter service. What we need are ideas on setting the service up. What kind of radio would we need to purchase to put in the helicopter to allow the pilot to talk to fire/rescue? Our area works on high band and low band radio's. The state EMS frequency is 155.340 which is the frequency that would mainly be used to talk to one another. What kind of thermal imaging camera could be mounted on the helicopter for the pilot to use? What kind of spotlight? I need any information that anyone can offer. We really would like to start this thing up here. It would really be to our advantage to have a closer service to fly critical patients out to the nearest trauma center (which is 2 hours away by ambulance). Any and all information would be helpful.

• Like 1

A friend of mine wants to start a medivac/search and rescue service in our area. The area that I live in is about 1-1.5 hour(s) away from the nearest available helicopter service. What we need are ideas on setting the service up. What kind of radio would we need to purchase to put in the helicopter to allow the pilot to talk to fire/rescue? Our area works on high band and low band radio's. The state EMS frequency is 155.340 which is the frequency that would mainly be used to talk to one another. What kind of thermal imaging camera could be mounted on the helicopter for the pilot to use? What kind of spotlight? I need any information that anyone can offer. We really would like to start this thing up here. It would really be to our advantage to have a closer service to fly critical patients out to the nearest trauma center (which is 2 hours away by ambulance). Any and all information would be helpful.

Is this serious?

Honestly?

Not trying to be a jack ass. Do either of you have any sort of aviation experience at all? You don't just stick your motorola radio ontop of the helicopter dash and say you are good like you do on a F-150.

There are companies that deal exclusivly in providing for public safety aviation. Assuming you are serious in starting this buisness your better bet would be to court the companies, get contacts with sales reps, and then research the materials to find out what you will need.

• Like 3

You'll probably want to talk to anyone local that deals directly with helicopters over those ideas. Also, if you are planning on running a medivac service, do you have the funding to provide the proper people, support services, and licensing (both state EMS office license and FAA licensing)? How about insurance (both insurance for the helicopter and malpractice insurance)?

• Like 2

I'm sorry but the questions asked are just the wrong questions to ask first.

Have you even considered the main equipment side of the equation. The helicopter. the more logical question for this group would be who would you call to talk about getting a helicopter in your area.

Do you have about 30 million dollars in capital to do this? If you are wanting to fly patients then you are going to need to go a lot deeper than these radio questions.

I don't think you are serious. I think this is actually a joke. No offense guy but you sound like the wrong person to do this. Contact the closest helicpoter service in your area and discuss this with them. Maybe if you can prove that you can provide a certain number of calls a year then maybe they will put a bird in your area. If you can't show them a bonafide need for a helicopter in your area then you won't get very far.

I'm VERY VERY VERY skeptical about your intentions.

Get one of those Vietnam era choppers from federal surplus and run a dustoff service.. using old, retired, corpsmen and combat medics, with no modern training. Say that you choose not to recognize the fact that it's 2010, rather than 1968.

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.