What next ?

tniuqs

So this is the only info I have on this situation.

A pair of Long Island, New York EMTs has been fired after engaging in on-the-job Internet chat sessions while in between calls. That is the word from the New York Post (Susan Edelman/Ginger Adams Otis/March 22) which said Ben Duchac and Franco Colon, who both work for Long Island College Hospital EMT Corps., also apparently posted pictures of themselves on the Flickr website. According to the newspaper, the duo snapped pics of each other in gas masks and while behind the wheel of the ambulance. It remains unclear whether the latter was taken while the unit was in transit. Hospital spokesman Zipporah Dvash condemned the pair’s actions, saying when the conduct came to light both Duchac and Colon were immediately sacked.

Was George Orwell "1984" most correct when he stated in his novel the decries of a totalitarian government is bent on total manipulation ?

So what next, does one get sacked for chatting on the phone between calls and can your employer record them when your working ?

Isn't this an infringement on the EMTs rights to free speech and is this not what Freedom in America stands for or better against ?

Whats the huge deal if one posts a picture is that some boss man believes is unprofessional or was it just developing comradeship ?

Thoughts ?

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm failing to see what the big problem is there. Was it just a normal chat room? I'm guessing they were wearing clothes in the pictures as it didn't mention them being nude. Were they leaving the chat as soon as they got tones? Sounds to me like some bigwig needs someone to pick on and is running low on fodder for his/her ego appetite. That or there has to be more to it that we don't know.

Definite case of wrongful termination. We have done similar things where I work. We like to have fun! After we are done our charts and station duties, sure.. let off some steam, have some laughs. Enjoy yourself! Lots of stations have internet access. I check e-mail, post of the forum here, and sometimes come into the chat when I am at work. My boss looked over my shoulder, and asked what this was, and said "awesome". He later made an account I believe.

Without actually seeing the pictures or what they were chatting about or even where they were chatting. It's hard to say exactly how things should have been handled. Were they using company computers or personal laptops? What was being discussed? Was anything mentioned about their days and calls they were one? Even then, so what! We talk about calls we have been on all the time. But we NEVER say "yea just got back from John Doe's house for another "my tongue is too spongy" call. Talking about our jobs is how we cope sometimes.

I however, do NOT agree with taking pictures of yourself, in uniform and posting pics on a public website (yes, I know flickr can be private). Yes, it is fun to have fun at work doing things like that. If there was no way of showing who the employer was, so what. If they did have visible indicators of who they are working for and posting on the internet for others to see, that is a bit unprofessional.

just my thoughts

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/jest_pains_emts_axed_for_on_job_TRVYaGLrJ5v8rA7VBYAE0N

Ah more info:

So is goofed around and flirt a tangible reason to me terminated ?

OMG I flirted with an RN once ... <sheesh> like this doest happen or is out of the ordinary ?

And who reported them and why ?

I honestly can't understand a termination, a reprimand maybe .... ?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/jest_pains_emts_axed_for_on_job_TRVYaGLrJ5v8rA7VBYAE0N

Ah more info:

So is goofed around and flirt a tangible reason to me terminated ?

OMG I flirted with an RN once ... <sheesh> like this doest happen or is out of the ordinary ?

And who reported them and why ?

I honestly can't understand a termination, a reprimand maybe .... ?

We all flirt. The docs make jokes, the RN's play games, the EMS crews shoot the shit. We are like a family. Heck I even have a few pics from Halloween and we had a group picture of the ambulance crew and the ER staff in make-shift costumes. I guess everyone should be fired.

Edited by FireMedic65

A comment by another ... do you think S/HE will get fired for supporting his comrade too ?

FDMedic518

03/22/2010 1:37 AM

Having also worked with both EMTs named here, I know both are smart, caring guys who were just having idle fun while awaiting the next call. The reason they were fired is because someone on the Post came across the pictures mentioned and approached the hospital about it, saying they were going to make it a story. The hospital, being so petrified of bad press after the problems they've been having as of late fired both immediately.

I think a more notable story would be the fact that in NYC 911 ambulances are required to sit at specific street corners, and so crews are forced to sit in the ambulance for 8-16 hours, and end up idling the trucks for hours every day. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week 400ish ambulances are spewing diesel fumes into the city air. Isn't that a much bigger problem?

Quite curious I can not make an account to comment on the news paper link (error something) Now this could very well turn out to be far worse PR for the Hospital than just having a "fireside" chat with the supervisor and a slap on the wrist. IMHO I believe they have a great case for wrongful dismissal no matter what the Company policy states.

Heck they both admitted to the charges of unprofessional conduct but appears the employer wants blood this a caring facility of Long Island College Hospital if this is the way they treat good EMTs how do they care for patients raises a question ? Maybe these EMTs will move on to a better employer one that values the professionalism "while on a call" that now their own colleague's are voicing their opinions and character witness as to good men in a public forum.

Never underestimate the POWER of the Media !

Edited by tniuqs

I don't understand why you do not understand why they were punished:

1. They were on-duty. Being hospital-based employees, I imagine they fall under the hospital's policies and procedures, which probably clearly state that you can not "play" on the computer while you are at work (especially if it was the hospital's computers). If the clerk in the billing office can not surf facebook while she is on-duty, then the EMS employees can not either.

2. They used images of the hospital property and their uniforms in the pics. Big NO-NO. And I seriously doubt that their posts on the internet were very professional, or painted the hospital in a professional light.

3. When you are at work, you should be at work. I applaud those departments who do not let you carry a cellphone or personal laptop while on-duty. Play on your own time, be a professional at work.

• Like 2

I don't understand why you do not understand why they were punished:

1. They were on-duty. Being hospital-based employees, I imagine they fall under the hospital's policies and procedures, which probably clearly state that you can not "play" on the computer while you are at work (especially if it was the hospital's computers). If the clerk in the billing office can not surf facebook while she is on-duty, then the EMS employees can not either. AGREE

2. They used images of the hospital property and their uniforms in the pics. Big NO-NO. And I seriously doubt that their posts on the internet were very professional, or painted the hospital in a professional light.

AGREE

3. When you are at work, you should be at work. I applaud those departments who do not let you carry a cellphone or personal laptop while on-duty. Play on your own time, be a professional at work. DIS-AGREE

Use and abuse of company equipment is cause for termination. As to me having a phone or comp for use when not with patients that is my business. I uses my phone to conduct EMS business but I also make personal calls. I am not paid for the required use of my personal cell phone so I see no reason I can not talk to family or friends when no patient. Laptop allows me to study. It also allows me to get a few minutes down time playing a game or posting on forums so I do not burn out.

Was it just a normal chat room?

First off, for the record, I first heard of Chatroulette on another forum and have no need to actually use the site

Kinda of yea, kinda of no. Chatroulette is a video chat service where it randomly pairs you up with another member to chat.

This is a guy on there that does piano improve so this video should give you a good idea how the site works and the type of people on it while being funny.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.