Its tax time! How much are we making in EMS?

fiznat

I thought this might be an interesting thread. Since most of us are working on our taxes this time of year, I'd like to see what our average wages look like. If you feel like participating, please post how much you earned working EMS in 2009, your job title, years experience, type of EMS you work for, the state you work in, and the average number of overtime hours you work per week. To make things easier for people to read, please just cut and paste the format I'm using to post my info.

If anyone thinks other information would be valuable for this "poll," please speak up!

For me:

Earnings: $65,682

Job Title: Paramedic

Experience: 3 years as a medic, 5 years with company, 7 years in EMS

Type: Private ambulance company

State: CT

Avg OT: 8 hrs/week

Edited by fiznat
  • Like 1

Some things you may want to add are the median home prices, your type of retirement, and how much you were able to put into deferred comp. This last one is quite important. You can live somewhere that has a cheap cost of living, but still not be saving anything towards retirement. Same for an expensive area. You could make 80 grand, and not have enough to contribute. Perhaps a general geographical region (optional) could be included. Example: Memphis, western PA, SoCal, Long Island, and so forth.

Also, the number of hours in a workweek. We all work different schedules. A scheduled workweek could be 56 hours based on a 24/48 and it's variants. It could be the standard 40, or as much as 96 or 120 hours. If you made 50 grand base working 40 hours a week, you're doing okay for the most part. If you're making 50 grand base working 80, 90, or 100 hours base, then you're getting ripped off.

Some things you may want to add are the median home prices, your type of retirement, and how much you were able to put into deferred comp. This last one is quite important. You can live somewhere that has a cheap cost of living, but still not be saving anything towards retirement. Same for an expensive area. You could make 80 grand, and not have enough to contribute.

True, we can add that in as well. I didn't want to make it too complex out of fear that people wouldn't contribute.

Perhaps a general geographical region (optional) could be included. Example: Memphis, western PA, SoCal, Long Island, and so forth.

That was my intention with having people submit their state. Do you think it should be more specific then that? I guess it depends on the size of the state...

Also, the number of hours in a workweek. We all work different schedules. A scheduled workweek could be 56 hours based on a 24/48 and it's variants. It could be the standard 40, or as much as 96 or 120 hours. If you made 50 grand base working 40 hours a week, you're doing okay for the most part. If you're making 50 grand base working 80, 90, or 100 hours base, then you're getting ripped off.

That was my intention for "number of hours OT," which basically means how many hours over 40 are worked on each average week...

Great ideas--- where's your info??? ;)

I always thought it was pretty taboo to be asking how much money other people make. But to each their own I guess

I disagree. This is a largely anonymous internet forum and I think it is important that we continuously compare ourselves with our peers to get perspective. If you don't want to participate then nobody is twisting your arm.

• Like 2

Earnings: $75,000

Benefits: Health and Life Insurance, Retirement, vacation, personal days, sick leave, and much much more

Job Title: Paramedic

Experience: 1 years as a Paramedic, 3 years with company, way to many years in EMS

Type: County non fire

State: TX

Work 10-12 24 hour shifts per month

Cost of living: Cheap $500 a month gets a McMansion

Quality of life in area: Almost crime free, clean air, clear skys, and much much more

Earnings: $69k base + ALS incentives, 91k in total w/OT

Job Title: Firefighter/Paramedic, an entry level position

Experience: 3 years as an EMT, 4 1/2 years as a medic, nearly two of those years as a FF/Medic

Type: Combined Fire/EMS dual role dept

State: VA

Avg OT: 56 hour workweek, all straight time per FLSA, average OT 12 hours/wk, more if you want it

25/55 pension w/ three year DROP, 2.8% multiplier, 457 as well, VEBA possible in the near future

http://www.americasveba.com/

Median home prices in Northern VA outside of Fairfax, Alexandria, and Arlington are from 200k to 275k for a SFH, 170k to 225k for a 3BR townhome, both in desireable areas with good schools

Hmmmmm,

How much do I earn? Well, even on a poor exchange rate, more than 46young.

Shifts are 8 on, with 7 nights on call, 6 off. Plenty of OT if you want it.

House prices, up to $US270 for a 4 bed+ house.

No dual roles. EMS Only.

Hmmmmm,

How much do I earn? Well, even on a poor exchange rate, more than 46young.

Shifts are 8 on, with 7 nights on call, 6 off. Plenty of OT if you want it.

House prices, up to $US270 for a 4 bed+ house.

No dual roles. EMS Only.

Two things.

First, my base + incentives either meets or exceeds compensation in other fields that require 4-6 year degrees, and typically experience as well. But don't take my word for it, see for yourself:

https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/jobs/listing/listing.asp

Second, I'm haven't even got two years on the job yet. My compensation is about as low as it gets here. Two promotions up to LT, which I can get in another four years, will leave me in the 90's as a base, and easily over six figures with ALS incentives. Plenty of step increases as well. My EMS Capt is a Capt I, which is only one promotion over LT, earns exactly twice my base. You need to hit all eleven steps to get that, but after six to seven years on I'll be eligible for that promotion. And considering that medics start at an 18/3, that's only another eight years to top out in step increases from when you start.

So, my current compensation is already competitive with those with a four to six year education, and I can look forward to more than doubling that during my career here. Adjusted for future inflation of course. Today's dollars, not tomorrow's. Nice try, wisenheimer. You're attempting to make a dubious comparison is compensation between two countries half a world apart with fluctuating exchange rates, and a whole different tax system, I'm sure. I've clearly compared apples with apples so to speak by using other job postings in the same county for comparison.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.