EMT-P as a career

Rocky9

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have used the search option on this subject and realize it has been covered in the past, but I could not find anything that really fit the bill, other then comparing the profession of Paramedic VS. Blank (RN,DR etc etc).

So my question is, How many of you are professional EMT-P? as in strictly paramedic work, no fire dept, you know you will stay this way and keep it as a career? 2nd part of question do you know or work with others as well that have done 10-15-20 yrs of the profession and still enjoy what they do? and is it something you can live comfortable (not rich, wealthy) doing as a career choice?

I apologize in advance if i perhaps overlooked this somewhere, i am at a crossroads right in a possible career change is the reason I ask, and i want to get it right this time. Thank you guys for your time and your service. take care.

Hey Rockie,

I'm a short time professional medic, 2 yrs or so now, and no, I don't plan to stay in this field for the long term.

I do know quite a few medics, but I'm unaware of ANY single role paramedics (United States) that plan to stay in the field for their entire career. And the couple that I do know that have been doing it for a long time? No man, you wouldn't want to be either of them...they are not happy campers...

Paramedic medicine in the single role world is something that you do until you get bored and find something better to do...that is the evidence before my eyes and ears at least.

Good luck with your decision.

Dwayne

Edited to add words in bold. No other changes made.

Edited by DwayneEMTP

"1.So my question is, How many of you are professional EMT-P? as in strictly paramedic work, no fire dept,"

I am a Professional Paramedic with no connection to a fire department.

"2.you know you will stay this way and keep it as a career? "

Fire has no business in EMS so I would never become a Paramedic fire fighter, so yes I will stay a Professional Paramedic.

"3.2nd part of question do you know or work with others as well that have done 10-15-20 yrs of the profession and still enjoy what they do?"

I work with and know many that are single role Paramedic Professionals. They are still happy and satisfied. They are frustrated though by the over all lack of advancement they see in the medical aspect of EMS though.

"4.and is it something you can live comfortable (not rich, wealthy) doing as a career choice?"

Yes I can live very comfortable doing this career choice. As a single role non fire Professional Paramedic I make more than most fire Paramedics and I am able to live in a great area with a low cost of living. The benefits are better than any fire service I have ever seen or heard of. And if invested properly getting financially wealthy would be a possibility.

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have used the search option on this subject and realize it has been covered in the past, but I could not find anything that really fit the bill, other then comparing the profession of Paramedic VS. Blank (RN,DR etc etc).

So my question is, How many of you are professional EMT-P? as in strictly paramedic work, no fire dept, you know you will stay this way and keep it as a career? 2nd part of question do you know or work with others as well that have done 10-15-20 yrs of the profession and still enjoy what they do? and is it something you can live comfortable (not rich, wealthy) doing as a career choice?

I apologize in advance if i perhaps overlooked this somewhere, i am at a crossroads right in a possible career change is the reason I ask, and i want to get it right this time. Thank you guys for your time and your service. take care.

To answer your question, I am a single role medic, working in a firehouse. I am also part of the IAFF, and make a good salary with a pension. I have worked with guys w/20+ years on the job who love what they do. I have worked with guys with 5+ years on the job and hate it. Everyone in a high call volume areas will experience some burnout. But hey where else can you work 24 hours and be off for 72?? That time off w/my family is amazing. That 24 hours can be rough...but it's well worth it. I'm not sure about your area, but salaries vary by region. Try to find a municipality with good benefits and career people. And if you have to work for a private...find one that does 911 as opposed to IFT's. Good luck.

I don't care WHO you are, the bullshit calls at 3 AM get to EVERYONE after awhile. Especially if you work in a ghetto/uneducated area...but then you really make a difference and you re-affirm the reasons you got into this job.

• Like 1

I am a professional paramedic (3 years as a medic, 7 years in EMS total), with no intention of staying. The long-term medics I know personally are some of the most unhappy folks I have ever met. There are standout exceptions of course, but my experience has been that the great majority of those who choose to remain in this field as a career, either had no choice to begin with or regret it very much.

This is commercial EMS, by the way. Perhaps the story differs in other environments (it seems likely...), but I can only speak from my direct experience and observation.

I am closing in on the finish line for my second year of paramedicine studies, and yes, have made a career out of this. Once I am done and comfortable with skills at the ALS level, I intend on travelling and working. As you've seen so far and will continue to see, there are widely varying opinions on this. Perhaps my opinion evolves from only being in the field for 4+ years now. Perhaps it's because I've wanted to do this for a long time. I can't predict precisely how I'll feel or where I'll be in 20 years. As it stands right now, I can see myself retiring as a paramedic. Maybe not humping stretchers the whole time but who knows ... really, the future is mine.

I have worked with guys w/20+ years on the job who love what they do. I have worked with guys with 5+ years on the job and hate it.

Yup, all depends on the person.

Everyone in a high call volume areas will experience some burnout.

I don't think you'd find a person in such an area who would disagree with this ...

I don't care WHO you are, the bullshit calls at 3 AM get to EVERYONE after awhile. Especially if you work in a ghetto/uneducated area...but then you really make a difference and you re-affirm the reasons you got into this job.

Sometimes all it takes is one or two really good calls to make up for some of the bullshit. It's waiting for those calls that can be hard ...

Edited by Siffaliss

Sometimes all it takes is one or two really good calls to make up for some of the bullshit. It's waiting for those calls that can be hard ...

Yeah I think this is definitely true. It really only takes one good call to make 40 or 80+ hours of nonsense completely worth it for me. This stresses me out though, especially as I gain experience and the standard for what makes a "good call" keeps going up and up. The people I know who are happiest in EMS have a really impressive way of finding interest in even their mundane calls: be it a idiosyncrasy with scene management or a conversation with a patient, they are able to make themselves happy with the call volume as it is. Peter Canning (author/blog writer/paramedic, and one of the happiest long-time medics I know) is a master at this.

I personally haven't been able to master that skill, and unfortunately I think that really puts me along with the majority of my coworkers.

Edited by fiznat

Yeah I think this is definitely true. It really only takes one good call to make 40 or 80+ hours of nonsense completely worth it for me. This stresses me out though, especially as I gain experience and the standard for what makes a "good call" keeps going up and up. The people I know who are happiest in EMS have a really impressive way of finding interest in even their mundane calls: be it a idiosyncrasy with scene management or a conversation with a patient, they are able to make themselves happy with the call volume as it is. Peter Canning (author/blog writer/paramedic, and one of the happiest long-time medics I know) is a master at this.

I personally haven't been able to master that skill, and unfortunately I think that really puts me along with the majority of my coworkers.

Why do you think FF's do not burn out (non-ems fire)? Do you think it is based solely on the benefits/salarie?

btw... this is an honest question, no underlying motives here.

Why do you think FF's do not burn out (non-ems fire)? Do you think it is based solely on the benefits/salarie?

I'm not sure. Is it really even true that they don't burn out?

Purely guessing, I would imagine that a lot of firefighters have certain things that we don't. A pension, municipal benefits, a long history and the traditions that come with it, automatic respect from the public, and a few other things... Just guessing though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.