Shopping With The Apparatus Nonsense

46Young

LOL. I applaud the reporter for standing up for the citizens against fire fighters wasting tax money.

http://wbztv.com/iteam/boston.fire.trucks.2.1480631.html

I-Team: Fire Trucks Being Used For Lunch Runs Reporting

Joe Shortsleeve BOSTON (WBZ)

WBZ

If you saw a fire truck parked in the fire lane of a grocery store, chances are you would assume there was some kind of emergency inside. But when the I-Team saw a ladder truck outside a grocery store our hidden cameras spotted on-duty Boston firefighters leisurely wandering the aisles, shopping for sushi, frozen cookie dough and toothbrushes.

It was a shopping trip that did not sit right with former city watchdog Jeffrey Connolly. "It's just not right," he said.

The I-Team discovered this was not an isolated incident. Our cameras found the same truck, Engine 32, shopping at lunchtime at the same grocery store, four different times over the course of a couple of weeks.

We wanted to find out if the truck stopped by on the way back from a call. The I-Team obtained call records for Engine 32 on all four days. There were no emergencies anywhere near lunchtime. We even looked at the training schedule, but there was no scheduled training for Engine 32. That means the Boston Fire Department has no record of any official reason that Engine 32 left the station on Main Street in Charlestown.

We asked Fire Commissioner Roderick Fraser if it is ok for a fire truck to be used exclusively for a lunch run. "I think the practice is fine," the commissioner said. In fact, Commissioner Fraser said it better serves public safety if the men stay together, that way they are always available to take a call. "I don't want people leaving the fire house in a personal vehicle to get lunch," he said. "That leaves the fire company undermanned."

Jeffrey Connolly recently retired after 30 years as executive director of the Boston Finance Committee, the office that watches every penny of the city's budget, including the fire department. "They (firefighters) think they are entitled to do whatever they want. They can take a city truck and do their own personal business," Connolly said.

Commissioner Fraser told the I-Team that taking ladder trucks out of the station gives the firefighters a chance to meet the residents of the city's neighborhoods. "I don't have a problem with my guys taking a fire truck and going out and getting lunch or going to get coffee, as long as they stay in the district," he said.

We saw Engine 32 shopping at a Stop and Shop. Not only was it out their district, it was out of the city of Boston. The store is located in Somerville.

"There's no reason for a Boston fire truck to be driving to Somerville so these guys can get lunch," Connolly said. This time, the commissioner agreed, saying the crew should not be taking the truck out of the district just for lunch.

A recent report ranked Boston as having one of the most expensive fire departments in the country. But the commissioner said he doesn't see this as an issue. We have a lot larger issues to deal with in the Boston Fire Department than who picks up lunch," he said.

Jeffrey Connolly insists it sends the wrong message. "It doesn't look good for the taxpayers, particularly in this economy."

firefighters don't need to eat.... ever

They can eat but why can't they bring their food with them? Many non fire jobs do not allow you to leave the plant or the premises so you bring food or go hungry. And yes it still counts as a lunch break and they get no pay while sitting in company property, yet these fire fighters are being paid while using tax payer property to go do shopping. How is that fair?

Next thing you know someone will say they should be allowed to do whatever they want because they rush into the flames to save life and property or some other idiotic hero complex statement.

Here's a response xtranormal video style regarding that douche reporter that was breaking balls about the FF's getting lunch at the supermarket:

At least the reporter is a professional. I also respect that he is brave enough to take on one of the largest mob ran groups in the world that is the IAFF.

Why not send one guy in this so that if a call comes in, and the flunky is in the district where he should be, the fire dude should beat the engine/ladder to the call.

http://www.massmetrofire.org/images/BostonH1Met.JPG

It makes no sense to take this.

http://www.cityofboston.gov/fire/images/Ladder%2026%20big.JPG

I know, I know. Let the "what if's" begin.

Here's a response xtranormal video style regarding that douche reporter that was breaking balls about the FF's getting lunch at the supermarket:

I actually don't care about these guys buying lunch while on duty, provided they are available when requested, however

We saw Engine 32 shopping at a Stop and Shop. Not only was it out their district, it was out of the city of Boston.

This is completely retarded

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.