What will 2010 bring for EMS?

On going budget issues so no new ambulance for us. 4 years and 75,000 miles is alot of wear and tear in urban ems.

Oh please - most of our rigs are between 150,000 and 200,000 miles. We run urban and rural with the largest coverage area in the state. Our "managment" feels that we don't take care of our rigs adequately and thus give us crap. 3 crews run an AVERAGE of 60 calls per 48, with 1 third on unpaved goat trails, washes and sand.

What changes? - personnel - as last year's hires get burned out and/or gain the experience to go to fire jobs or other professions

Edited to add the change part - cause that was the original question.

Edited by Kaisu

I don't forsee any major changes to EMS itself, but there will be continued implementation of the educational standards and other Agenda For the Future items. Things that field employees might not directly see effects of other than perhaps additional education requirements.

• Like 1

In my rural county, 2010 will see the demise of volunteers-both fire and rescue-after over 50+ years in service.

We have a hot shot new fire chief from the big city, a new arrogant county administrator and a bunch of good old B.O.S. boys who jump every time a taxpayer whines.

We now have 24/7 career coverage most of who would rather get a PT refusal than transport to the closest hospital-40 miles away.

We have a bunch of paid EMT/FF who all pile on an engine and respond to calls, overwhelming most PT's.

I'm a 10 year volunteer who see's the light at the end of the tunnel-and it's a train.rolleyes2.gif

Edited by BlackSheep2
  • Like 2

In my rural county, 2010 will see the demise of volunteers-both fire and rescue-after over 50+ years in service.

We have a hot shot new fire chief from the big city, a new arrogant county administrator and a bunch of good old B.O.S. boys who jump every time a taxpayer whines.

We now have 24/7 career coverage most of who would rather get a PT refusal than transport to the closest hospital-40 miles away.

We have a bunch of paid EMT/FF who all pile on an engine and respond to calls, overwhelming most PT's.

http://www.emtcity.com/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes2.gif

Sounds like this town needs to build a closer hospital! Also, congrats to going paid.

I also enjoy the critical patient's where I have the "bunch of paid ff/emt's" that can do cpr, drive, carry, lift, retrieve equipment, secure the scene, etc.

I see more EMS closings. More and more communitys will decide they can live w/o this high paid taxi service. Especially when they study the studies that show no real difference in outcome from ambulance vs POV transport.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.