Remind me why we do this

Kaisu

Nothing smartass about it. We do not have a choice. Our shifts are 48 on, 96 off. If we don't like it, we can find another job.

PS.. we have surreptitiously collected approx. 90% of the signatures we need to bring in a union

Good luck with the union issue. I helped organize the company I was with long ago. I won't bore you with the details, but I will warn you it's not an easy process- especially for those in the forefront of the effort. I racked up a ton of discipline for trumped up, BS infractions during that time- all in an effort to intimidate and dissuade us from our efforts. The union busting tactics did not work. Yes, there are laws that protect workers who want to organize but there are plenty of subtle ways a company can try to keep your from establishing a union presence. A good union will know these methods and keep you safe.

Here's a tip- get a good, reliable, and strong union to back you if you can. We had the Teamsters, who did not back down, but there are some smaller, weaker unions that are more interested in your dues than actually going to bat for you. Make sure you clearly outline your priorities and reasons for wanting union representation, ensure the union will fight for these issues(and not ones THEY think are important or easier to get), because unless these issues are addressed, you will not be any better off.

The dirty little secret is that the group that benefits the most from unions are the slugs and loafers in your organization- they are seen as being no different than the model employees under a collective bargaining agreement.

Hope it works out for you.

We do this because we are good at what we do no matter what level we are.

We do this because of the ending of all the ones that survive not the ones that die.

We do this for our communities because with out us they would have no body to come and help when the need help.

We do this because god or who ever you belive in knows that you can do it, and do it well.

We do this because we are naturaly good people.

And you do Kaisu because you trained hard at something that you really wanted to be, so take thought in all the good ending calls you have had and try to file away the bad.

When you have time take a nice hot bath with bubbles, and crawl into a nice warm bed and have sweet dreams

I can't really add anything to that it says it all, the bubble bath sound's awesome and I will volunteer my services to get loofah !

WE are ALL here to support YOU Kaisu :wub:

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

Hey Kaisu...I'm just a lowly basic, but I can tell you what has helped me. I had a tough call about a month ago, and what really got me through it was my ems family. I think that ability to understand a bit more of what you are probably going through is quite valuable. As to the "why," I don't know that I can fully put that together.

Sometimes it's a terrible, thankless job, full of either unappreciative patients, patients we can't save, or patients with issues we can't address. At these times it feels pretty futile. On patients dealing with depression it helps me to try to be maybe the only person to really care and try to help, for however long I'm with them...I like to think that can be powerful. But alas, sometimes you really do help someone who has never needed help more in their life, and sometimes they even THANK you for it! I think that's just about the coolest thing in the world. I hope my rambling has helped (?), and moreover wish you the best of luck!

because you gave him the choice to have a shitty life back and he can change it. Also you do this so that son knows his dad is gonna get the best care and so he can cry on your chest. If you need more I will be there for your family member you be there for mine.

• Like 1

Re the self inflicted GSW to the face:

Worst scenario is, that is how his family is going to remember him if he dies.

Best case scenario is, after heaps of plastic surgery, he'll get the psych help he needs, and return to some semblence of a good life.

There is, admittedly, a bunch of distance between the two. Hope for the best.

I had just returned from a call to the state prison, where a 25 year old inmate had shot himself up with a lot of heroin. CPR had been in progress. Long transport time, but this one is going to live.

Kaisu I wish you all the best in eliminating 48 hour shifts from your service. This type of shift rotation should not even exist, never mind be used for a service as busy as yours can be. Not to suggest it's a problem for you thus far, but running things like this is an open invitation for error.

I pulled this section out of your post because I think it could make for an interesting case study. Did you push Naloxone in addition to the normal ACLS protocols? If so do you think it made a difference? If not do you think it may have helped?

Ed

We do what we do because the job offers different challenges every shift and we're not stuck being a desk jockey. Sometimes we even get to run calls that remind us how much cooler this is than being an acountant. Yeah, every once in awhile we get calls that are disturbing, but try to remember...YOU AREN'T THE ONE WHO PUT THEM IN THAT SITUATION. You got thrown in the middle of things, because something didn't go as planned and you were called for help.

I had to work a code on a 75 year old man Halloween morning at the nursing home with no quality of life. He had no family-only a legal/medical representative. Hospice was supposed to come in a few hours to evaluate him and get a DNR. And here we were shoving a tube in his airway, cracking his ribs, and drilling an IO into his leg, knowing he didn't want any of it. When you take this job, you have a legal and ethical duty to all your patients. We have to have standards where everyone is treated the same. You were just doing your job. Take a deep breath. Take a day off. Get some sleep and come back for another fun-filled shift. It's what we do.

• Like 2

OK - so that’s the story. Now I’m going to tell you what had me up this morning thinking about it. This patient has shit for a life. He got to the point where he put a .38 under his chin and pulled the trigger. If he makes it, and I’m pretty sure he will, now he’s got shit for a life and no face. Tell me again why we do what we do.

Thank you for listening.

Out of curiosity, how do you know this guy has shit for life?

I think we do what we do for a variety of reasons, which probably change in importance over the years. The reasons I think we do this job is because

1. There is a level of excitement

2. It can be a challenge

3. It is a field job, not a desk job

4. There is the love for science and medicine

5. We have the privilege to meet all sorts of interesting people

Just to name a few...

I wanted to tell you at first that it is not logical to base your happiness for the job on the calls you run, but that just does not seem true.

I think your question is not so much 'why do we do what we do', but rather 'why do I (Kaisu) do this job'. Only things I can think to tell you are that you do this job because you agree with numbers 1-5 and you realize that you can do this level of work. Your patient made a poor decision (IMO), and you were there to care for the patient at the beginning of his road to becoming as healthy (as possible) both physically and mentally. The patient seems to have had a psychological breakdown and demonstrated that pathology by attempting suicide. It is a neat aspect of our job that we are a part of their hopeful recovery.

I do not know what else to say to you except it is not your fault the patient appears to have failed at suicide. I dunno, good luck to you.

Matty

That sounds like quite a shift. It's shifts like those that remind me exactly why we do what we do.

It needs to be done.

Sounds like you did the best you could and you should be proud.

Honestly, remember that it's not us making the world the way it is (not directly at least). Our job is to roll with the punches and try to help a few people along the way. Yes, we get thrown head-first into situations that many people may never get to see or experience in their lives. We see death, pain, sadness and we often can't do anything to remedy the situation. We help where we can, and we support those who need us. It's not our place to judge other people or to burden ourselves with their pain. That is no way to stay mentally healthy in this job.

Remember, show empathy not sympathy.

Edited by treaux

i guess i am one of the lucky one that knows why i do what i do!! i have always seemed to know but let me just say one thing

as many people have said prior to me you do it because you want to help!!!! and if being good at it and caring makes you question why i know you are on the right road!! i have had the misfortune or as i like to think of it now adays the fortune of being a pt myself..some trips i remember and some i dont but make assured i remember the emts that treated me (on all the calls i do remember) i remember which ones did all they could and were compassionate and which ones were not and were just doing the bare minimum to get by...and they are no longer running calls, because people that dont have the compassion and the caring for the fellow man cant stay in this business long they just cant. so rest assured that if you truly care how your pts turn out then that is why you do what you do. if only to give that pt comfort for only the time that they are lucky enough to end up in your rig with you caring for them then they are the most definitely they lucky ones..keep this in mind when you are running the killer shifts and reach back into the city family for strength that is why we are all here to give everyone of brother and sisters a boost when they need it! thanks for sharing your struggles with us and keep up the good work!!!

best of luck with your union also let us know how it is going! :thumbsup:

2wheelie