TRAUMA - Episode 9 , 23 Nov 09

1) Series observation- I know of no helicopter that is that quiet while doing a "Hot Load" (loading while the blades are still turning, if memory serves me correctly), or even on the inside during flight.

2) Would YOU be looking for a live turkey to be killed for you, while on duty and in uniform? Going to put the bird into a side compartment during the tour?

3) Tyler and Boone discuss Turducken, a mix of turkey, duck and chicken, as alternative for a turkey or ham. While I've heard of Turducken before, the concept is so...yuck...I wouldn't partake of any.

4) Rabbit turns down Marissa's invite to meet the "wild cousin"? WTF?

5) Putting a frozen turkey into a deep fry cooker is not recommended, as indicated by the resultant explosion. Also, on some Food Network show that was on in the restaurant I ate at a few days ago, I was informed that the Underwriters Laboratories safety people refuse to give any sort of safety rating on any deep fry cookers.

6) Must be local protocols, again. I'm restricted to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns, but have been told not to use any reference to a 4th or higher degree burn.

7) Tyler has not mentioned to his folks he's gay. I wonder if they'll show a family reunion when he does?

8) Rabbit again try's picking up the intern. Interesting line she uses:

You live alone, you're going to die alone, and I'm not going to be your midway entertainment.

9) Nancy uses visual and touch to diagnose a torn meniscus? I had to fight for the NYC law department to authorize an MRI to determine mine, as it doesn't show up on regular X-Rays. Does that mean Nancy is actually Superman's cousin, AKA Supergirl, using her X-Ray vision? Also, "on the count of three", reducing a dislocated knee (actually on the count of 2!)?

10) I like that cultural line of a thin red thread tying soul mates together by the ankles. I wonder if my Lady J and I have something like that, even though we're neither Chinese or Japanese (I'm a Russian-German-Polish American, and she's Sicilian/Italian American)?

11) Rabbit seems to revert to character, and accepts the date with Marissa's cousin.

12) The captain yells "Everybody, Wait!" to announce the impending MCI of the plane crash? Possibly realistic.

13) Alameda Naval Air Station must have different protocols for jets without landing gear down than JFK. No foam on the runway as a lubricant and fire retardant for the crashing aircraft? ( Going by memory, I really don't know of they do that at JFK, either)

14) For an active Naval Air Station, I saw neither sailors, Marines, or any security placed on the SFFD personnel, while they were on the military reserve.

15) I restate my liking of the colored tarps for assisting Triage.

16) Rabbit and Nancy get into what I know as "Proximity Suits" to actually get into the burning aircraft to perform the search for the baby's mother. I donno, wouldn't Fire fighters do that, and bring the body (or corpse) out to the paramedics?

17) Mommy defibbed twice, and immediately allowed to sit up and hold her baby? I don't think so.

18) Can anyone in the military advise me if they'd allow a civilian aircraft to make an emergency landing on the reserve? It was too quickly done, as I see it, but I don't know how it works in the real world.

19) Of course, Boone invites Tyler to dinner. (Anyone else notice Boone didn't advise his wife he was bringing one more to dinner?)

20) Rabbit goes against type to blow off the date with Marissa and cousin.

21) It telegraphed itself that Tyler would use Boone's family for rehearsing how he'll eventually tell his own family he's gay.

22) Rabbit just shows up at Nancy's family dinner, and gets invited in. Real or Reel life?

23) It seems all the regulars ended up with some kind of Thanksgiving dinner, even if Glen and the Intern just have turkey sandwiches.

24) Rabbit and Nancy kiss. I guess the writers are going to keep us in suspense as to what is going to happen to this couple. Is that a thin red thread binding them at the ankles?

• Like 1

1) Series observation- I know of no helicopter that is that quiet while doing a "Hot Load" (loading while the blades are still turning, if memory serves me correctly), or even on the inside during flight.

Correct... they are loud. That is why they wear helmets/headsets. There are microphones and speakers inside of them. It seems every time you see a helicopter on tv/movie.. they are so quiet you can talk over them.

ps.. there is a "silent" helicopter, but I can't recall the name of it right now.

2) Would YOU be looking for a live turkey to be killed for you, while on duty and in uniform? Going to put the bird into a side compartment during the tour?

Totally unacceptable. Against OSHA regulations and probably a few others.

3) Tyler and Boone discuss Turducken, a mix of turkey, duck and chicken, as alternative for a turkey or ham. While I've heard of Turducken before, the concept is so...yuck...I wouldn't partake of any.

Turducken is good actually. But it's not "stuffed" into one another. They are deboned and kind of layered together and tired up then cooked.

4) Rabbit turns down Marissa's invite to meet the "wild cousin"? WTF?

seems to be like he is conceited and too good for a blind date

5) Putting a frozen turkey into a deep fry cooker is not recommended, as indicated by the resultant explosion. Also, on some Food Network show that was on in the restaurant I ate at a few days ago, I was informed that the Underwriters Laboratories safety people refuse to give any sort of safety rating on any deep fry cookers.

Yes, really dumb to toss a frozen turkey in a vat of hot oil. Stupid to do that with any frozen product. Good Eats with Alton Brown did a special on this sort of cooking. He built a tripod similar to what you would see in trench rescue/high angle to lower the turkey in. You have to measure the oil with the turkey in it before you heat it to be sure of no overflow. And yes.. It is "explosive" when it goes bad.

6) Must be local protocols, again. I'm restricted to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree burns, but have been told not to use any reference to a 4th or higher degree burn.

4th degree sounds more badass I guess. Maybe it's referenced to a burn to the bone? Not sure

7) Tyler has not mentioned to his folks he's gay. I wonder if they'll show a family reunion when he does?

They will disown him at the start of the show. But later accept it due to a gay guy helping them in some way or another (totally guessing, but this show is too predictable now)

8) Rabbit again try's picking up the intern. Interesting line she uses:

he got a lot more lame. he is starting to show serious signs of a stalker

9) Nancy uses visual and touch to diagnose a torn meniscus? I had to fight for the NYC law department to authorize an MRI to determine mine, as it doesn't show up on regular X-Rays. Does that mean Nancy is actually Superman's cousin, AKA Supergirl, using her X-Ray vision? Also, "on the count of three", reducing a dislocated knee (actually on the count of 2!)?

She IS SuperMedicDrGirl... because "it's what she does"

10) I like that cultural line of a thin red thread tying soul mates together by the ankles. I wonder if my Lady J and I have something like that, even though we're neither Chinese or Japanese (I'm a Russian-German-Polish American, and she's Sicilian/Italian American)

11) Rabbit seems to revert to character, and accepts the date with Marissa's cousin.

Beggars can't be choosers I guess. He seems to show more signs of being a womanizer too now.

12) The captain yells "Everybody, Wait!" to announce the impending MCI of the plane crash? Possibly realistic.

Because no one else has their headsets on to hear the secret squirrel. He had to inform them

13) Alameda Naval Air Station must have different protocols for jets without landing gear down than JFK. No foam on the runway as a lubricant and fire retardant for the crashing aircraft? ( Going by memory, I really don't know of they do that at JFK, either)

I thought that was abandoned? But regardless... that MCI was a fail.

14) For an active Naval Air Station, I saw neither sailors, Marines, or any security placed on the SFFD personnel, while they were on the military reserve.

They were informed by the President to stay clear and let the super heroes handle the situation.

15) I restate my liking of the colored tarps for assisting Triage.

Yea, it's getting old. Every call is an MCI with them it seems, with 2-3 providers per patient. They must have excellent staffing

16) Rabbit and Nancy get into what I know as "Proximity Suits" to actually get into the burning aircraft to perform the search for the baby's mother. I donno, wouldn't Fire fighters do that, and bring the body (or corpse) out to the paramedics?

Right, You can't perform both jobs. By the time it would take to get into the gear, they could have searched the aircraft and brought them out. No need for them to go inside other than to appear more awesome.

17) Mommy defibbed twice, and immediately allowed to sit up and hold her baby? I don't think so.

She was cardioverted, but same deal applies. What if she reverts again and now she drops the unsecured baby on the ground. WHOOPS!!.

18) Can anyone in the military advise me if they'd allow a civilian aircraft to make an emergency landing on the reserve? It was too quickly done, as I see it, but I don't know how it works in the real world.

I believe this would be allowed in emergency situations, but there would most likely be more security from the military bouncing around.

19) Of course, Boone invites Tyler to dinner. (Anyone else notice Boone didn't advise his wife he was bringing one more to dinner?)

That was a lame scene.. he invited himself into the family, then tells them he likes men. With kids around, not really dinner conversation.

20) Rabbit goes against type to blow off the date with Marissa and cousin.

He is too awesome for a blind date

21) It telegraphed itself that Tyler would use Boone's family for rehearsing how he'll eventually tell his own family he's gay.

Yea, seen that one coming.

22) Rabbit just shows up at Nancy's family dinner, and gets invited in. Real or Reel life?

Probably real. They are friends, she sees he is sad or whatever. It's polite to invite him him

23) It seems all the regulars ended up with some kind of Thanksgiving dinner, even if Glen and the Intern just have turkey sandwiches.

I dislike him. Even though he is from "my area". People like him wouldn't last long, probably why he is out in the Bay Area. The lost puppy routine is old. Grow up kid.

24) Rabbit and Nancy kiss. I guess the writers are going to keep us in suspense as to what is going to happen to this couple. Is that a thin red thread binding them at the ankles?

If my memory serves me right, they had a previous relationship. Clearly now, he had ulterior motives the whole time about his dinner plans.

This show, is getting worse and worse. But, I am a glutton for punishment, and I will continue to watch it. :(

Edit: Boldface made by mean. And is no reflect on Richards comments.

Edited by FireMedic65

I have yet to watch this show except for the first 10 minutes of the first episode but I've seen the filming everywhere in the Bay area. The "helicopter" used in the city scenes is a prop and not a real helicopter. Someone must have forgotten the sound effects.

I believe this is the episode that was filmed at the old navy base in Alameda and cast the local FFs and EMT(P)s in some of the scenes.

This is a San Francisco thing primarily in China town. You can buy live poultry to go with or without the neck being wrung first. At the farmers' markets in the city you will often see a large truck full of live chickens or turkeys for people to purchase. The MUNI bus drivers get a little annoyed when people try to bring them on board still alive so it is not unusual to see some little elderly lady pull the live bird out of her shopping bag and break its neck right there so she can get on the bus.

Thus, that is not too out of the limits of reality.

Rarely used by EMS. If that body part is 4th degree, damage is to the bone and amputation will probably be necessary. There is an excellent regional burn center in SF (St. Francis Memorial Hospital) that may use that term occasionally as they get the worst of the worst.

I have watched this show from the first episode. I was prejudiced against it from the start as far as reality comparisons. I too groan when something ridiculous is shown. What has surprised me is that I am beginning to like the show! I agree with others that it has so many technical errors that it would almost qualify as a training film in how not to do the job on that basis.

In some ways it makes me think of "Police Story" back in the 70s or 80s. Joseph Wambaugh commented that he was trying to get the producers to show more of the "emotional violence" that a police officer endured rather than the emphasis on Hollywood 'sex and violence' that dominated the writing. "Trauma" seems to mirror that description only for EMS. A medic endures a tremendous amount of emotional stress in their work. Not all of it is directly 'case' related but ties into the work environment. "Trauma" is hitting that nail on the head in a highly dramatized fashion. Because it is getting that part 'right' I am beginning to like it while being able to let the technical errors pass. Perhaps I am just mellowing in my old age or have been retired long enough that I don't care about the details so much anymore. Of course it doesn't hurt that the blond is HOT and I am definitely a DOM.

Regarding Richard's item 18: I don't know about current policy but in the 60s, the FAA and DOD had a joint policy that civilian airliners with landing gear problems could be diverted to military airfields due to the better crash rescue/firefighting equipment and personnel available on military fields at the time. Civilian fields have upgraded their standards since then so I suspect that has changed. I remember working some shifts during the '84 Olympics at LAX on some part-time RAs and was up close with the Crash apparatus. To describe them as 'impressive' is an understatement. I also remember in the mid to late 50s hanging out at Joplin Airport where the only 'crash' apparatus was a 40s/50s era pick-up, painted red with a couple of large CO2 bottles in it and some hand tools. I am not sure who was supposed to 'staff' it other than the CAA people or the airline ticket agents. Joplin Fire would of course respond with structure equipment but there was nothing based at the field. Of course the largest airliner using the field was American Airlines Convair 240s and Ozark Airlines and Central Airlines DC-3s so the number of potential casualties was limited. :rolleyes2:

Oh well, perhaps I am getting soft in my old age.

Any PR is good PR if you're some asshat of a celebrity. This is NOT the case where medical professionals are concerned, at least from my point of view...

I mean come on, you can't possibly think that it's good to see a headline about an ambulance service crashing a rig or abusing patients...

I gotta say, this episode was more tolerable than others I've seen. Maybe it was the 101.7 fever talking, however...

Wendy

CO EMT-B

<snip for brevity>

Is it just me but have not many of these comments/ observations curiously similar to many threads on EMT City ... although twisted out of proportion ?

Turducken.

Hot Cousins.

Gay partners.

A Turnip shows up on BEBs door step uninvited but bearing gifts. :innocent:

Marriage Breakdown in EMS.

Putting a frozen turkey into a deep fry cooker is not recommended (thats from an ALLSTATE commercial)sheesh where do they get these writers ?

+++

I bless my lucky STARS this show is not carried over the poorly defended Kanukistanian Border these days, although if TRAUMA had Chinese sub titles it would a hit ... in China. :devilish:

Any PR is good PR...

"Lighten up Francis" (from Stripes).

ps Francis was a true wacko and correct me if I am wrong was that not that a Comedy?

Although Bill Murry is a brilliant ... The sarge got blowed up SIR !

I must disagree, this bad PR is just BAD PR <_<

ps.. there is a "silent" helicopter, but I can't recall the name of it right now.

Try Area 51 ?

"Somebody's gotta tell her she just lost her husband." They seriously need better writers.

"Ya just did, Probie!" Should've been the next line. It's a good thing I'm not on the set. I'd be yelling, Cut! Cut! Cut" Until they fired me.

Like when Rabbit put the pen in his mouth in the ED. Pens are the most radio-germo things we carry around. Never mind putting one in your mouth.

"I saw some of you guys laying him on the black tarp." We can all see the "fail" in that setup.

Wasn't triage a bit too close to the still burning airplane?

The boys at Alameda Field are crying the blues now like us, because yes, they have real foam and stuff.

The writers blew another comeback line . . . "I'm Gay." He says to his partner's family.

Next line should've been, "Pass the carrots."

A couple of scenes rang true. The elderly lady from the plane crash. Comforting her in the back of the rig, listening to her go on about her family, we do a lot of that. I guess everyday is thanksgiving where I work.

Blondie listening to doctor dad and brother talk about an ACL operation like it's a golf shot rang true. She's disgusted by them both as she sees the dirty side.

"So what are you?"

"I'm . . . not going." The writers missed taking a chance here too. Rabbit is a Māori from New Zealand and they could have gotten a whole thing out of that.

I am impressed they set the clock correctly on the monitor. It read 1527, and their shift ended at 1500, which is just when the plane crashed.

Go Rabbit! Looks like VT to me too . . .

:)

5208834a.jpg

Edited by NickD
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.