National Drivers Licenses

Medic One

National Driver License / Passports  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Does your State issue National Standard Drivers Licenses?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unknown
  2. 2. Do you have a passport?

• Yes
    • No

States say they cant meet ID deadline for National Drivers Licenses

Federal rules for licenses take January 01, 2010

WASHINGTON While Congress debates national health care legislation that could put new fiscal burdens on the states, the nations governors are pushing Capitol Hill for a reprieve from another costly federal program that states have long criticized: Real ID.

The program, created in the aftermath of the 2001 terrorist attacks, requires all states to start issuing more secure drivers licenses by the end of this year. Residents of states that do not comply with the deadline (01/01/2010) will not be able to board commercial aircraft or enter federal buildings using their drivers licenses beginning in January 2010.

In a letter to congressional leadership on Wednesday, the National Governors Association disclosed that as many as 36 states won't meet the end of year deadline. Another 13 states have thumbed their noses at the federal government by passing laws that prohibit participation in Real ID, which states have long viewed as an unfunded federal mandate that could violate residents privacy. The recession, meanwhile, has ravaged state budgets and is likely to further erode states willingness, or their ability, to comply with Real ID.

In their letter, the governors urged Congress to approve a replacement version of Real ID - known as Pass ID - that would give states more time and flexibility to upgrade their driver's licenses, including the processes used to check applicants identities. While legislation creating the replacement program is supported by the Obama administration and cleared the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee in July

"Our citizens should not be punished for the failures of Real ID",the governors wrote. "We therefore ask that you work with us to pass (the Pass ID Act) before the end of the year."

In short:

If you plan to travel foreign or domestic starting January 01, 2010 your Drivers License will NOT allow you to board any commercial airliners or enter federal buildings if it is NOT a National ID Style Drivers Lic.

This means you MUST get a passport if you plan to travel in country such as NY to FL. starting January 1st, 2010.

Many State Legislatures voted NOT to comply with the new federal law which saves the states money .... thus forcing all citizens of non-complient states that want to use air travel to purchase passports.

APPLY for a passport ASAP if you plan to travel in 2010 by air.

Wait times for US Passports are again on a 45-60 delay.

Edited by Medic One

You already have to have a passport to travel internationally, nothing new there. Domestically, you do have to show an ID and it is not unreasonable to ask that it conforms to certain standards which are:

1. A digital photograph

2. Anti counter fitting measures

3. Machine readable technology with defined minimum data elements which could include a magnetic strip or a RFID tag

This is not a lot to ask...however I am closely watching the "minimum data" requirements

Florida has had this in place for years and when I moved to Alaska and went to get my license, imagine my surprise when they took a snapshot with a regular camera and then made an ID old style laminated and type written right in front of me. I actually made a better fake ID in high school and this was now my State Driver's License...so asking states which still do this to get on board is not ridiculous but yes there needs to be some limits.

While researching this topic, I ran across several sites condemning the "Obama administration" for these measures however they were all crafted just after 9/11...just so we are all clear on where this stuff originated.

http://www.businessweek.com/debateroom/archives/2009/01/nationalize_us.html

Oh I am all set I have had a passport and passport wallet card for years. This is just informational to others. I'm not worried and I agree with a National ID system

I have been meaning to get a passport "just in case" I ever needed one. I am not even sure if my DL is one of those thingers. Most likely it is not. If the government is making people get them, and upgrade to them.. sure, I agree. If I must obtain a passport, then they should offer it at no charge. Yea, a passport is cheap, but it is also a huge money maker for them.

I do not travel often, but I do enter federal buildings every so often. It's BS that I would need a passport to travel around in my own country. I will happily go to the DMV tomorrow right now to get an upgraded ID. I will happily waltz over to the PO and get the application for a passport if the feds cover the charge.

Considering that...

1. It's easy to edit boarding passes printed at home (internet check in).

2. The 9/11 terrorists all had proper ID.

3. At the time of ID check at TSA Security Theater, the ID is checked against the boarding pass and not against any sort of watch list.

...how does ID checks improve our security?

Before you read this just remember some points.

1. Do not quote me on what states do or do not comply
  2. The web has too many statements on this topic
  3. I compiled this list from several goverment web sites
  4. I do not know how accurate this list is

From what I can find on goverment web sites the following states

Have issued Real ID Complient Drivers Lic. since 2008:

• VA
  • OH
  • TN
  • MO
  • WY
  • Utah

The following states refuse to comply or implement Real ID policy:

(These states refusing to comply claim security issues make Real ID's unconstitutional and they claim can contribute to identity fraud.)

• WA
  • MT
  • ID
  • NV
  • AZ
  • CO
  • NB
  • SD
  • MN
  • MI
  • IL
  • OK
  • LA
  • GA
  • SC
  • PA
  • CT
  • ME

All other states are asking for extensions to comply and should be up to date by 2011.

My suggestion is to just get a passport if you do not have one yet.

Funny thing is that the Real ID must be used to enter federal buildings...how will that work in states that refuse to comply and if you don't get a passport how can you legally go into a Post Office, federal court house, or even a social security office.

So you get called to Federal court to do jury duty in a non-complient state and you didn't get a passport...will you get a warrent for arrest because they refused to let you in...you miss jury duty and now are in contempt for failure to appear....or you are on am EMS run to a federal prison and when they ask for your legal ID they say sorry we can't let you in...well thats not so bad I guess one less criminal if you can't get in to save his life!!

Did the goverment forget that?

and....

Wash DC should be the most complient part of the country as far as laws are concerned but its a state that is not a state but wants to be a state and respected part of our wonderful Union doesn't even comply with the homeland securities wishes to be a "REAL ID" complient issuing center; the federal law was enacted in DC.....can you believe that the government that runs DC told DC that they will not comply or atleast meet the requirments until 2011.

WTF!!!!!!!

K..I'm done venting now

ps I am already a passport holder but it still ticks me off!!

Edited by Medic One