Ambulances start charging extra for obese patients

Eric

But what about the people with medical reasons to be obese? They do not choose to be obese they just cant loose weight due to a defect in their own bodies.

If you convert 180Kg you will find the vast majority of people with medical obesity will fit this categoty.

Over that they are morbidly obese. That is their choice.

They can choose to lose weight.

How are we to determine "obese"? Fat != obese. Do we carry a scale with us? I know, sometimes it is obvious, but where do w draw the line?

According to the BMI most people are obese, but we know the BMI is a very flawed system. I think the minute you consider any sort of specialized equipment to move and care for a PT because of their weight, then they are "obese" and should be charged accordingly. So I guess the line is a judgment call on the part of the EMS workers on the scene, and they shouldn't feel bad about it at all.

• Like 1

We work in Kg, like most of the world so I will not convert it to pounds for you. It is currently 180Kg.

This is an American based forum, convert it for us. You would expect me to do the same on the Auzzie forum... Just sayin'...

This is an American based forum, convert it for us. You would expect me to do the same on the Auzzie forum... Just sayin'...

One day the US will come into line with the rest of the world & work on the international standards of weights & measures. I am using the international standard.

• Like 1

It's 397 pounds . . .

What's scaring me is the idea that being overweight is their fault.

No one can argue with obesity the rest of us bear the burden with our backs (as providers) and our wallets (as tax payers), but overall it sounds too Orwellian to single them out.

I'd rather live in a society that tolerates the out there among us. Without the foolish we'd live in a very bland place. So I don't mind some of my tax money going towards the medical expenses of the next Evel Knievel, the next Houdini, or the next Wright Brothers. A guy who eats too much pizza isn't exactly the same thing but it's a short slippery slope from one to the other.

I'm old enough to remember when overweight people were the exception not the rule. But now when the police are told, "It was the fat kid," it's a description that leaves them scratching their heads.

But how much is really the fault of the obese? A lot of it starts when they are children. Has fast food run amok have something to do with it, or the fact you can't buy anything in the supermarket that isn't way over processed? How many of you work with overweight partners? How many of them are on their way to the bariatric ward? Why, when I whip out my little sack lunch consisting of a tuna fish (light on the mayo) sandwich and an apple, my partner while he's swallowing a Big Mac in three bites always has to say, "Oh cute, your Mom made you lunch again." I certainly don't mind a heavy partner as it's more leverage when sheeting the whales, but to call out the morbidly obese in country full of the obese just seems wrong. We need to fix the underlying problem.

If ambulance providers want to make extra money there's a simpler way than us carrying scales around. Just implement a triple surcharge on B.S. calls. And maybe a side benefit would be insurance companies beginning to counsel their clients on abusing the 911 system.

:)

• Like 1

One day the US will come into line with the rest of the world & work on the international standards of weights & measures. I am using the international standard.

Watch your tongue. You may wake up to find an aircraft carrier off your coast with motherland hate speach like that. Well, maybe in another three years or so.

However, I am still not sure why we continue to use pounds, quarts, yards, miles, and gallons? I use SI at work, SI in school, but a totally bizaar system where the units have no common conversion factor while at home. I guess we are that much better than you all for keeping two systems sorted.

Take care,

chbare.

• Like 2

http://www.halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

This is in kgs and pounds for easy translation for MBI, so have at it kids.

You may wake up to find an aircraft carrier off your coast with motherland hate speach like that.

So Is GPS targeting in Long and Lat in miles or in kms .... just saying, long tonnes or short tons so different stokes for different folks / mates.

Nah and don't give the OZ 3 years warning, cause ALL the beer will be consumed,the women hidden, the poisonous snakes released, the crocks and killer roos and wallabies armed and the carrier will be bombed by spiders that like to live in the loo, who need nukes when you have those weapons of mass destruction.

As for the PC term Bariatric, why not just call the fire fighters as they lift heavy things don't they ? quoting aussiephil.

OK realistically obesity has become a pandemic in NA, building bigger trucks is not the answer,health care and not sick care is the answer, the issues of why this is occurring at such an alarming rate in NA is something that has to be addressed and lets not forget we are just the means of transport, the Bariatric patients and management and movement in hospital settings is a serious challenge to avoid back injuries.

cheers

• Like 1

I think ems should charge $2 a pound to transport obese patients. that would stop alot

Stop alot of what?

Medicare does not pay for equipment used, only provide a base rate and mileage.

Most private insurances will not pay for the additional weight, but do allow additional manpower charges.

The State of Texas lists the ability to lift 250# assisted as criteria in the EMT-B/I/P / LP job description. Thus most agencies use this as the "magic number" for a lift assist.

Charging by the pound is an ACLU lawsuit waiting to happen.

Sent from my Blackberry by AT&T

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.