Greetings From Central Florida

MrB_EMT

You aren't the only one who was getting sick of being in the weeds trying to grill a poterhouse on the fly...............

I too also came from the culinary industry as a Sou Chef. I started EMS 5 yrs ago and am never looking back. I would have to agree with Orlando, been there quite a few times, nice place to visit, horrible place to live. I prefer where I'm at now. Not too crowded, awsome fishing, beaches are top notch, and COL isn't too terrible (well, with the ecnomy the way it is it isn't). Apprently we were called "ground zero" for the entire nation in the home foreclosure market. The only bad thing are the snowbirds. Within the past week they've come from the walls, and everywhere else.

But good luck with school, I strongly suggest getting about 2 yrs as an EMT and being proficient at it before going through medic school.

Wow! Usually the only time we get this many responses to a 'meet and greet' is when a new member has a sexy name and her avatar is way hot and has that 'I just might talk dirty to you in chat' affect...

Welcome to the site man! You're off to a good start!

Dwayne

Wow! Usually the only time we get this many responses to a 'meet and greet' is when a new member has a sexy name and her avatar is way hot and has that 'I just might talk dirty to you in chat' affect...

Welcome to the site man! You're off to a good start!

Dwayne

Amazing what an intelligent introduction will do for someone...

Proper grammar, spelling, sentences, paragraph breakage and no whackerism with a desire to learn. Some posts need to be required reading on how to do stuff and this may be one of them.

But good luck with school, I strongly suggest getting about 2 yrs as an EMT and being proficient at it before going through medic school.

Many disagree. No other health profession would even make a suggestion to stop the education process. Go straight to Paramedic. A search of this site will show many discussions showing why there is no real benefit of stopping at the basic level.

Hey! Welcome to the madness.

You'll find us an opinionated bunch, and numerous amongst us are always right (even when we are not!), but all are willing to share.

You'll find some ongoing battles between members, the majority of which are in fun, like spinac and itku2er.

Just use the search feature to find if someone else has had similar questions to what you might ask, figure out a spell check program that works for you, and if you feel someone else had a bad answer, give your version as to why that individual was wrong.

On that last, give something that stands to some form of logic, as I am only one of many who will jump all over someone for saying, in effect, "You're wrong because you're too stupid to breath without prompting" (used as an extreme example, although on the joke forum, there's one based on that as a "blond" joke).

One more thing: Please, no shouting, here represented by going all caps.

Again, welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome from the Southern Jersey Shore (hopefully for not too much longer <_< ), from a Medic who can't decide where he wants to live.

Orlando is a tough area, move to the coast. Either one.

I am going for a degree, it's just one extra semester and a couple of classes, so I will be in medic school for 2 years anyway before taking any certification exams. No matter how hard I try to justify it, there is just no possible way that I could stay unemployed through school like I did for EMT. The difference is I will be working as an EMT not a Chef, so I think it will be easier to juggle job and school. Also, I plan on getting on Orange County FD as a medic, and for them to even look at you without fire standards you need to have at least 2 years exp in the field. The ultimate plan though is the RN bridge program for Paramedics at UCF, Paramedic school and 3 years exp in the field and you start as a senior in nursing school. EMT experience counts in that equation so I would need only one year after getting my medic, and I could realize my goal of being an ER Nurse and Paramedic part of the time too.

Edited by MrB_EMT

Amazing what an intelligent introduction will do for someone...

Proper grammar, spelling, sentences, paragraph breakage and no whackerism with a desire to learn. Some posts need to be required reading on how to do stuff and this may be one of them.

A well placed Monty Python quote always gets my vote! And the way to my heart is through my stomach, so chef's always get a warm welcome too! :thumbsup:

Welcome, fellow Floridian. Sounds like you're on track for a good plan. I would be remiss if I did not stress that nursing school BEFORE paramedic school is a ten-time better plan in almost every respect, but especially for your educational development. Ask any of us who did it back-asswards, and we'll tell you. But if being a fireman is your ultimate goal, then meh... you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

Good to have you here. I hope we can help you out, and I'm looking forward to following your progress.

• Like 1

Welcome, fellow Floridian. Sounds like you're on track for a good plan. I would be remiss if I did not stress that nursing school BEFORE paramedic school is a ten-time better plan in almost every respect, but especially for your educational development. Ask any of us who did it back-asswards, and we'll tell you. But if being a fireman is your ultimate goal, then meh... you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess.

I agree with Dustdevil. Florida has an abundance of Paramedics waiting for a FD position. With nursing you would at least have a decent job with flexibility. RNs in Florida can also challenge the Paramedic test which many who have wanted to join the FD for the benefits have done.

Spenac,

I never said STOP, I said gain experience as an EMT before putting yourself and everyone your involved in through hell. Because too many people go right on through the schooling (EMT/Paramedic for A.S.) just to come out and find out its not what they expected and they dont like it. Less then a year later they either fired or quit. If he's starting a new career and taking an abrupt 90* dgeree angle, feel the water out, get the expereince and street knowledge prior to going through PM school. Because everyone knows they can make it through the school. It's putting your book knowledge to your hands and reacting to the ever changing environment around you that's the difference.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.