Helicopter usage?

Ruff:

Respectfully should not the question be:

Do the outcomes of Helo transport effect to door discharge or in any way improve care ?

cheers

• Like 1

I like to think I only utilize HEMS when it's absolutely necessary. For example, TIME! Aside from a few meds and procedures, HEMS crews are basically just an ALS that flies.

46young posted up good stuff on when to use HEMS. Location also plays a huge factor. If I am dispatched to, lets say, and MVC with injuries, I will often request HEMS be put on standby (depending on the source of the 'injuries'). Local bandaid stations can handle trauma victims, but they cannot usually provide appropriate care, such as bone doctors, vascular surgeons, neuro surgery, hokus pokus, etc etc.

If the patient needs to be stabilized, such as problems like I cannot control the airway, I need to get them to them ro any hospital asap.

There has been times where I called for HEMS based on MOI. Crew lands, after we waited 15mins for them to get there, and they take another 10-15mins in the ambulance before they leave. Then it's another 10-15mins to fly to the hospital. Was the wait worth it? Could they have done anything more than I could have? I understand what they are doing, and that they need to assess the patient just as I did. Just, time plays a huge factor when requesting a helicopter.

jwade, excellent post as always

Edited by FireMedic65

Hey,

Thanks for the compliment..

Just a quick note, I agree that with regards to scene flights, HEMS rarely offers more than your average ALS truck aside from potentially giving blood, chest tubes, and a few others....The big difference for HEMS comes into play with Critical Care IFT. Managing a critically ill septic patient straight out of the SICU, who is on a balloon pump, Vented, swan, a-line, and 6 drips and put all that crap into a Helicopter is very difficult and challenging even for the most experienced providers...That stuff is definitely beyond the ability of most standard ALS rigs in the USA...

I agree without reservation, HEMS is utilized for scene flights way too much, most ALS providers do a great job on the ground, and during my Rotor years, I would say the chances of me having to redo something the ground guys did was <20% of the time. When I did have to fix something it was usually airway related, a couple crichs that went bad, intubating very small kids, etc.......

So, I would hope most ground guys and gals would seriously take a look at the time commitment needed for calling HEMS, and just get their rig moving in the direction of the hospital.....We can always meet you on the side of the road if necessary.....

Great discussion..

Respectfully,

JW

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.