How Long Is Your Orientation Period For.......

Three weeks of classroom covering a wide range of topics. (just to be clear that 120 hours is not some EMT course. It's just employee orientation.)

Three shifts as third.

20 shifts on driving restriction (L&S to a call, but not with patient on board; partner initials after each shift, reviewed by Superintendent before sign off)

Six months of probation.

And crotch, just because I've grown impatient with so much coffee today, what issue in EMS are we being blind to, how is it costing lives and how can I be made to feel guilty about it?

Edited by docharris
  • Like 2

Hmmm... wonder what got the negative? Was it

A ) Drawing attention to the fact the my work orientation was longer then an EMT-B program?

B ) Poking crotch in the eye?

I'm going to guess B ). Oh well I can take a joke as I tell them. Inconsistently and incomprehensible.

Edited by docharris
  • Like 1

Don't worry Doc,someone bumped ya back up! :whistle:

Our orientation usually lasts about 3 mths. This includes being cleared to drive by a State approved EVOC driving evaluator, not just your partner, at least a 4 shifts riding as a third but that timeline is flexible, not everyone needs this much time.

It all depends on the individual. Yes, we have guidelines but that's exactly what they are. Not everybody fits into the same mold. Why hold someone back that is capable of working as a second? Conversely, some require more time to get comfortable in that role.

• Like 1

A new medic: Ride with a senior medic (3 man crew). He runs the call, the senior medic observes and determines when they should be released on their own. After they get the feel for the system they are working in.

A seasoned medic: Ride with senior medic (3 man crew). Prove he isn't a dumbass by running a few calls while being observed. Just because you have been doing the job for awhile, doesn't necessarily mean you know what you are doing. Also, get the feel for the system they are working in.

Ok, I was joking on the trial by fire but not by much

Ours is at least 2 - 3 days of inclass orentation on the hospital polices and procedures, restraint usage and other stuff.

Remember we are hospital based so we need to know what the hospital requires as well as what the EMS side requires

then at least 2 weeks (36 hours a week) on in ER orientation and then several days of 3rd person in the ambulance.

After that you are on your own with an EMT or with a medic. Dual medic trucks are rare except for day shift.

But due to staffing shortages there might be less than 3 days of ER orientation and 1 day of EMS ride time.

Depends on your level of experience on the ambulance or in the ER.

Once a new hire has been given the green light they must attend a three week refresher academy which covers all topics Medical/Legal/Guidelines/Locations of VIA's (very important areas). You'll also get re-certed in ACLS,PALS,ITLS,ALMS,BLS, IV Cert (for EMT's to start IV's in the field) and also attend a 2 day EVOC course. From then you are then assigned based upon compatibility (you fill out a questionnaire and a computer matches you with your FTO based upon your answers) to a field training officer (FTO). You are then riding 3rd, working closely with your FTO for approx 2-3 months. During those months, you complete "modules" which are set up to take you from a civilian to EMT/Medic working within our medical guidelines and being operationally proficient. At the end of each module there is a test and you must complete the test prior to moving on. By the end of your 2-3 months you'll have completed every module and test. By this point your are then able to "Credential" or sit in front of the credentialing board (MD, Capts, Lt's, Training Chief). There your asked a series of scenario based questions and using your knowledge and guidelines you answer each one. If you successfully treat each patient (not only medically but also show competence and confidence in your medicine) you are then released into the wild to ride as a released medic or EMT.

Typical Time frame is about 3 months. But you have up to 6 months to credential.

Current orientation is roughly 6 weeks (depending on the type of service the person is coming from and their familiarity with aggressive protocols) and verification of all skills as required. Knowledge of protocols and appropriate transport destinations, etc are covered within that time. Then release is by the actual medical director and satisfaction with him of knowledge and skills.

Previous service I worked for operated in a different fashion. It was roughly two months of orientation with the home base which runs a few dual medic trucks. After which you proved competency to be released, you operated in a medic/emt transport rig for six months doing routine ALS transports. Following that, you progressed to a 911 truck within the base county which had additional paramedics to back you up if needed for another 6 months. If all went well, then you may be placed into another county if you wanted which was solely 911 and often ran 1 medic truck per shift (it was dual medic). However, you were prevented from performing RSI (which was allowed at that sevice due to a state waiver) for two years and until you completed the class and were approved by the medical director. You then were eligible to apply for a critical care class to move into that aspect if there was an opening. Understand turnover was quite rare within the service, but I would have no problem trusting any of the medics treating myself or my family. I know the process seems a bit drawn out but it produced knowledgeable, competent medics that functioned in primarily very rural bases throughout the state. PT medics rarely functioned on the 911 setting in the rural counties unless they were already employees that dropped to PT status. They usually floated a medic from the home base which had several to the rural county and the PT medic went to the main base. That's how it functioned.

The "academy" is 9 weeks long...it encompasses a ton of topics that aren't taught in paramedic school, or that the education staff really wants to hammer home. It's Monday through Friday 0700-1700.

Topics include (but aren't limited to) airway management, cardiology, paramedic safety/defensive tactics, EVOC, helicopter utilization, MCIs, NIMS/ICS, Hazmat, swiftwater awareness, physical conditioning, Advanced Medical Life Support, crime scene awareness, scenario training, etc.

This is followed by 2-5 months with a field training officer on the truck. They evaluate every aspect of your call, from dispatch to clearing the hospital, and your overall shift performance. How soon you clear depends the particular person. Some clear in 6 weeks, some go almost six months. After this, you are cleared to duty as an independent ALS provider. You are expected to be able to act as a lone paramedic in charge of a scene, although all of our ambulances are staffed with two paramedics.

• 3 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.