Here he goes again

ERDoc

News Flash: Dont dare go to your Uncles house

An Oklahoma state trooper, accused earlier this year of putting a paramedic in a choke-hold, has been cleared yet again of allegations that he used excessive force during the course of his work. That is the word from The Oklahoman (Ann Kelly/November 13) which said an investigation by the Department of Public Safety cleared Daniel Martin and his partner Tommy Allen of wrongdoing during the October arrest of Holdenville resident Kristopher Douglas, 28. According to the newspaper, dash cam video released by the police shows Martin using his batton on a handcuffed Douglas. Both troopers now return to regular duty after being placed on administrative leave pending the investigation’s outcome. Martin also escaped serious punishment in the July attack on paramedic Maurice White. In that instance, Martin netted only a five day suspension;the attack was caught on cell phone and posted on the Internet.

http://newsok.com/two-oklahoma-troopers-cleared-of-excessive-force-allegations/article/3417130?custom_click=masthead_topten

Note end if the video the proper use if force, striking a man taken down physically that was not resisting arrest in any way is just more damage control IMHO.

I see the Trooper again confrontational, demanding, yelling at the man arrested you can hear in the video the man arrested actually laughed at the Trooper just concerned with why the police were at his Uncles Home (but that was the trigger for escalation) after the "renegade" was under control the Trooper continued to escalate the situation not deescalate what a line of crap from the Captain.

LT Tipton: This more like a text book case of a bully,over reaction, just pulling a baton in that manner in itself is a sign of a man out of control so if the Captain can not see a pattern of behavior he should lose his job, this trooper needs to drive a DECK not a have GUN.

LT Tipton Quote:The continued use of force when someone is rendered incapable of resistance or escape :wtf2: is he taking GW Bush lessons in public speaking ?

My question: WHY were the trooper on private property without the permission from the land owner on a home under construction in the first place ? An act of building treason, construction terrorism ?

This keeps just getting better :wacko:

Going back to the EMS incident, I think he needs to review the use of force continuum. A 'C' clamp choke hold and baton/asp can be considered deadly force, which isn't acceptable for a passive (marginally active) resister.

• Like 1

1. Level One * Officer Presence - The mere presence of a police officer in uniform or in a marked police unit is often enough to stop a crime in progress or prevent most situations from escalating. Without saying a word, the mere presence of a police officer can deter crime by the simple use of body language and gestures. At this level gestures should be non-threatening and professional. This "zero" level of force is always the best way to resolve any situation if possible.

2. Level Two * Verbal Commands - Used in combination with a visible presence, the use of the voice can usually achieve the desired results. Whether you instruct a person to, "Stop.", "Don't Move.", "Be quiet.", "Listen to me.", "Let me see your ID.", or, "You're under arrest."-- voice commands in conjunction with your mere presence will almost always resolve the situation. The content of the message is as important as the officer's demeanor. It’s always best to start out calm but firm and non-threatening. The choice of words and intensity can be increased as necessary, or used in short commands in more serious situations. The right combination of words in combination with officer presence can de-escalate a tense situation and prevent the need for a physical altercation. Training and experience improves the ability of a police officer to communicate effectively with everyone she comes in contact with.

3. Level Three * Empty Hand Control - Certain situations will arise where words alone will not reduce the aggression. This is the time police officers will need to get involved physically. This is a level of control employed by police officers minus the aid of equipment or weapons. There are two subcategories called, “soft empty hand techniques” and “hard empty hand techniques.” Soft Empty Hand Techniques: At this level minimal force would involve the use of bare hands to guide, hold, and restrain -- applying pressure points, and take down techniques that have a minimal chance of injury. Hard Empty Hand Techniques: At this level the use of force includes kicks, punches or other striking techniques such as the brachial stun or other strikes to key motor points that have a moderate chance of injury.

4. Level Four * Pepper Spray, Baton, Taser - When the suspect is violent or threatening, more extreme, but non-deadly measures must be used to bring the suspect under control, or affect an arrest. Before moving to this level of force, it is assumed that less physical measures have been tried and deemed inappropriate. Pepper spray results in considerable tearing of the eyes, as well as temporary paralysis of t he larynx, which causes subjects to lose their breath. Contact with the face causes a strong burning sensation. Pepper spray, once thought an effective street tool for police officers has lost popularity over the years because of its ineffectiveness, especially on intoxicated persons. The typical baton is a round stick of various lengths, and is made of hardwood, aluminum or plastic composite materials. A blow with a baton can immobilize a combative person, allowing officers to affect an arrest. Common impact weapon used by police today include the PR-24 and collapsible baton. The Taser discharges a high voltage spark (50,000 volts) at very low amperage. The Taser fires two small darts, connected to wires, which drops a suspect at non-contact distance. These devices are easily carried. They are lightweight and affordable. Extensive training is not required, and they may be more effective on persons under the influence of PCP and other drugs who do not respond to chemical irritants. They can be especially useful for controlling non-criminal violent behavior, such as persons who are mentally impaired, or under the influence of mind-altering substances.

5. Level Five * Less Lethal - This is a newer, acceptable and effective level of force that numerous police agencies have added to their use of force continuum policy and procedure. Less-lethal weapons were developed to provide law enforcement, military and corrections personnel with an alternative to lethal force. They were designed to temporarily incapacitate, confuse, delay, or restrain an adversary in a variety of situations. They have been used in riots, prison disturbances, and hostage rescues. Less-lethal weapons are valuable when: Lethal force is not appropriate. Lethal force is justified and available for backup but lesser force may subdue the aggressor. Lethal force is justified but it s use could cause collateral effects, such as injury to bystanders or life-threatening damage to property and environment.

6. Level Six * Deadly Force - If a police peace officer has probable cause to believe that a suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious physical injury to the officer or others then the use of deadly force is justified (see Tennessee v. Garner). By the very nature of the profession, peace officers may at times be confronted with a potentially lethal threat. In most of these instances, peace officers will have no other option but to discharge their firearm in order to protect their life or, the life of others.

Level 1 to 4 in less than 4 seconds .... but do agree with kevkie baton use could be considered level 5.

What blows my mind is that his Bosses are doing public damage control and NOT addressing the issue of this bully hiding behind a badge ... good grief.

Edited by tniuqs

Was he a little quick in hooking the guy up?

Yea, a little.

He did follow the use of force chart. The guy refused the officers verbal commands. He was firm, polite, and explained the police would be leaving soon. (IIRC, they had chased a suspect and the suspect had stopped at that particular location.) Having people walk through while the LEOs are conducting an investigation/during a crime is not good. You don't know who they are, why they are there, what they are doing, etc.

Anyone actually used an expandable baton?

You HAVE to flip them violently out to expand them. The guy started to resist when he was cuffed by the second officer, one strike was applied, the guy brought to the ground, cuffed, and the situation over.

I see a LOT of anti cop attitude. Why, I don't know.

Other then hooking him up a little quick, he did everything else by the book.

• Like 1

'Flasurfbum'

Was he a little quick in hooking the guy up?

Yea, a little.

So you agree that the actions of the officer were premature.

He did follow the use of force chart.

Best look again, Level 2 is voice "control" the officer in quest was not IN CONTROL of himself let alone the situation, as in the first interaction with Paramedic White AND turning his back of the Individual that he was questioning ... a POLICE FAIL in of itself.

The guy refused the officers verbal commands. He was firm, polite, and explained the police would be leaving soon. (IIRC, they had chased a suspect and the suspect had stopped at that particular location.

Level Two * Verbal Commands - Used in combination with a visible presence, the use of the voice can usually achieve the desired results. Whether you instruct a person to, "Stop.", "Don't Move.", "Be quiet.", "Listen to me.", "Let me see your ID.", or, "You're under arrest."-- voice commands in conjunction with your mere presence will almost always resolve the situation. The content of the message is as important as the officer's demeanor. It’s always best to start out calm but firm and non-threatening. The choice of words and intensity can be increased as necessary, or used in short commands in more serious situations. The right combination of words in combination with officer presence can de-escalate a tense situation and prevent the need for a physical altercation. Training and experience improves the ability of a police officer to communicate effectively with everyone she comes in contact with.

Well, I must have missed that part but not observing a chase and in the recording the stopped individual state quite clearly he was assisting with construction.

Having people walk through while the LEOs are conducting an investigation/during a crime is not good. You don't know who they are, why they are there, what they are doing, etc.

The accosted individual also clearly stated he was going to his Uncles Home, the women in the background gave him verbal permission to enter, if this individual was allowed to walk by there would have been NO issue at all, this was an escalation by the police in the first place, a simple case of a control freak. A little street Medic applied sense if one has a threat one never wants have to watch 2 directions let buddy walk by whats the harm really.

Anyone actually used an expandable baton? You HAVE to flip them violently out to expand them.

Yup my 13 year old daughter can and has, it does not require anywhere near this violent of an action ... gravity is your friend.

The guy started to resist when he was cuffed by the second officer, one strike was applied, the guy brought to the ground, cuffed, and the situation over.

Wrong again look at the tape, he was backing up afraid he was going to be (he was right) I observed a strike when the "violent offender" was falling while trying to be restrained, in fact baton action lead to a further loss of control, this is a textbook case of NOT how to arrest someone.

I see a LOT of anti cop attitude. Why, I don't know.

Well this is where I would adamantly disagree its not generic comments towards ALL LEO (s) these comments are directed towards just one bad apple, a shame really when there are so many good LEO out there.

Other then hooking him up a little quick, he did everything else by the book.

The book according to whom ? (see above Continuum of Force again I located it for those to read it in its entirety)

The continued support by the supervisory staff will be their undoing they are very rapidly loosing the respect of the public by failing to police their own.

LT Tipton Quote:The continued use of force when someone is rendered incapable of resistance or escape

Care to rationalize that reproduced statement ?

Then the officers Tipton explanation of one strike then taking the person to the ground, the victim was in a choke hold and his hands were behind his back, falling to the ground, the victim even states this, Tipton's explanation ON INTERVIEW was chronological incorrect.

cheers

I believe in Surfing vernacular SHRED DOOD.

Edited by tniuqs

So you agree that the actions of the officer were premature.

To be a nice as everyone wishes he was. The man disobeyed a lawful order, multiple times.

Best look again, Level 2 is voice "control" the officer in quest was not IN CONTROL of himself let alone the situation, as in the first interaction with Paramedic White AND turning his back of the Individual that he was questioning ... a POLICE FAIL in of itself.

Level 2 was not working, so 3 was employed by the Troopers partner. The subject resisted, and a quick escalation to level 4 was attained. The subject was subdued with no further incident.

Well, I must have missed that part but not observing a chase and in the recording the stopped individual state quite clearly he was assisting with construction.

Thats fine and dandy, but the trooper clear and calmly stated that they would be dine in just a minute, and the hold on just a minute, well be outta here soon. Apparantly, waiting to a LEOs instructions were not in this guys list of things to do.

The accosted individual also clearly stated he was going to his Uncles Home, the women in the background gave him verbal permission to enter, if this individual was allowed to walk by there would have been NO issue at all, this was an escalation by the police in the first place, a simple case of a control freak. A little street Medic applied sense if one has a threat one never wants have to watch 2 directions let buddy walk by whats the harm really.

You don't let anyone thats NOT a LEO close to the scene. When I am working, NO ONE gets behind me that isn't a cop, FF, or EMS Professional. No one.

Yup my 13 year old daughter can and has, it does not require anywhere near this violent of an action ... gravity is your friend.

I had one. It required a good amount of force to deploy. A flip like that was normal to deploy it.

Wrong again look at the tape, he was backing up afraid he was going to be (he was right) I observed a strike when the "violent offender" was falling while trying to be restrained, in fact baton action lead to a further loss of control, this is a textbook case of NOT how to arrest someone.

I observed someone trying to get away from a LEO trying to effect an arrest.

Well this is where I would adamantly disagree its not generic comments towards ALL LEO (s) these comments are directed towards just one bad apple, a shame really when there are so many good LEO out there.

The book according to whom ? (see above Continuum of Force again I located it for those to read it in its entirety)

The continued support by the supervisory staff will be their undoing they are very rapidly loosing the respect of the public by failing to police their own.

To your own Force Chart.

Care to rationalize that reproduced statement ?

Then the officers Tipton explanation of one strike then taking the person to the ground, the victim was in a choke hold and his hands were behind his back, falling to the ground, the victim even states this, Tipton's explanation ON INTERVIEW was chronological incorrect.

cheers

I believe in Surfing vernacular SHRED DOOD.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=11255583#

Is anyone sensing a pattern with this guy? Maybe he just happens to find all of the people who like to resist.

Doc, you haven't had a run of a particular type of patient?

Sometimes you attract all the codes, MIs, ODs, psychs, etc?

If it were any other Trooper that this had happened to, I think that this would barely have made the news, let alone attract our attention.

My concerns are that the Trooper starts really thinking "how will this look in the media" before he acts, rather then relying on his training to keep him, his partner(s), and the public safe, and a perp will take advantage of it.