Fire in the Hole . . .

NickD

Nobody was injured so I don't mind finding this funny . . .

This Engine was responding to a water main break, and I guess they found it.

Haven't posted for about two years but have been working for a private that supports Fire in Los Angeles.

Most of the fire guys are all right, but there are certainly a few, "monkeys." :)

fa51d7c7.jpg

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090908/ap_on_re_us/us_california_sinkhole

capt.47af8d70c2c8477db1bc74e387c39c7c.california_sinkhole_la101.jpg

LOS ANGELES – Crews using a crane have pulled a fire engine from a large sinkhole that opened as it was responding to a broken water main on a Los Angeles street.

Four firefighters escaped injury as mud and water poured into the vehicle's cabin Tuesday in the San Fernando Valley.

The firefighters were attempting to back the 22-ton engine out of the street when the collapse occurred.

The sinkhole was caused by a broken, 6-inch cast iron pipe. A Department of Water and Power official says it's unlikely the burst pipe is related to another one that broke two miles away over the weekend and flooded homes and cars.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Four firefighters escaped injury Tuesday after their fire engine sunk into a large hole caused by a burst water main in the San Fernando Valley.

The firefighters were responding to a call about flooding on a residential street in the Valley Village neighborhood when they saw excessive water on the road, Fire department Capt. Steve Ruda said.

Worried the ground was unstable, they were backing the 22-ton engine out when the road collapsed and the engine cab fell into the sinkhole, Ruda said.

A captain and engineer safely climbed out of the windows and two other firefighters jumped from the rear as water and mud began to fill the vehicle's interior, Ruda said.

Department of Water and Power spokeswoman Kim Hughes said a 6-inch cast iron pipe broke on the street. She said water in the area was turned off while tow trucks prepared to pull the engine out of the hole. Crews were also inspecting for possible damages to gas and sewer lines in the area.

Hughes didn't know whether the burst water main was related to another one that broke about two miles away over the weekend. The rupture in Studio City on Saturday swept cars down streets, forced people out of their homes and flooded a section of a major boulevard.

The broken main was part of the city's original water system, dating to 1914, and was slated for repair.

Hughes said the main should be in operation later in the day. However, street repairs forced the shutdown of a major road across the Hollywood Hills.

Ruda said water probably damaged the radio and computer system in the cab of the $500,000 fire engine. He said the truck was salvageable.

wait a minute, that's not the picture I was thinking of... the one I was thinking of was an Australian fire engine.

OK what the heck was a fire department responding to a water main break for? Do they need to justify their jobs that much to respond to a water main break?

OK what the heck was a fire department responding to a water main break for? Do they need to justify their jobs that much to respond to a water main break?

Water main breaks, wires down... whatever somebody calls 911 for that isn't a police problem, gets shunted to the FD in most cities.

Awesome subject line, Nick! :lol:

I heard about this right after it happened, but had not seen a pic before now. Crazy!

Good point about SOB runs too. I have always maintained that the fire department should be absorbed by the water department in most cities. The jobs are much more similar than the fire service and EMS, that's for sure. And it beats burning books.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.