small town training?

Kelly74

I have a general question/comment. I am having a hard time finding any training facilities in my area. I'm interested in EMT and am unsure if the courses needed are labeled under a different heading, or do I speak to someone at the fire department? Can anyone suggest some ideas to me? I live in Port Hope Ontario, approx. 1 hour East of Toronto. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

First off, welcome aboard the EMT City.

As for your question, take into account that not all EMS services are based in a Fire Department, some are based in Law Enforcement agencies, others are based in hospital networks, industrial settings, community services, and as private enterprises for profit. I might have left a few out.

On this site, there is a lot of discussion, both pro and (mostly)con, for fire service based EMS, primarily aimed at fire fighters cross-trained as EMTs and Paramedics. I mention that, as I am in the Fire Department of New York City (FDNY)EMS Command, and am a mission specific EMS provider in that context. Simply put, I don't fight fires.

What I would suggest, is either look up EMS providers in the telephone book, that are local to you, or call up the hospital nearest to you, and ask where the training might be available nearest to your residence.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I also live in a very small town and had a heck of a time finding a class or atleast someone who actually knows what an emt class is!!! All the answers I got were "um...you mean a firstaid/cpr class?" Frustrating! If you have the number to whoever the ambulance service is in your town either call them or go in to talk to someone...possibly even an emt or paramedic that work there and see where they were trained! There has to be atleast some place within 30 miles of where you live that offer a class!

I have a general question/comment. I am having a hard time finding any training facilities in my area. I'm interested in EMT and am unsure if the courses needed are labeled under a different heading, or do I speak to someone at the fire department? Can anyone suggest some ideas to me? I live in Port Hope Ontario, approx. 1 hour East of Toronto. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Hey Kelly! Welcome to EMT City!

We have a least one member here that works for Peterborough (or is it Lindsay?) who might be able to help you. I think though, you might be having a difficult time finding EMT classes because the only EMS provider level in Ontario is Paramedic.

Here is a link to get you started.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/schools.html

I don't know how up to date this list is, But I think the closest programme to you would be Oshawa. It's not to far from Port Hope!

I have to add, for the most part the FD in Ontario doesn't provide EMS service. Your local EMS service would be a better way to obtain some info from people who have gone through it already.

Good luck!

Edited by JakeEMTP
  • Like 1