NYTimes on Fire based EMS

Would anyone care to respond to my observation that things are smoother when a Fire Department ASKS to have EMS duties included in their overall mission, by the members, as opposed to BEING TOLD, by non members (like the local mayor) that they HAVE to include EMS operations in their overall mission?

This is just a back door way of fire building their empire & trying to be subversive.

Now answer this. If EMS provides most of the work, therefore most of the income, should Fire not then become a part of EMS not the other way around?

Now answer this. If EMS provides most of the work, therefore most of the income, should Fire not then become a part of EMS not the other way around?

There are some FDNY EMS Command personnel, around, as I am, from before the merger, who openly state that.

There are some FDNY EMS Command personnel, around, as I am, from before the merger, who openly state that.

And I will put even money on the fact that you have been put down for even suggesting it.

Maybe you should wear the :withstupid: shirts when you are with fire!!!!!

What a joke. Instead of the NEW YORK Times, doing a study about DC, they should look no further than their own FDNY-EMS.... 13+ years since the merger, and we are no closer than the loftly goals that Mr. Rudy, talked about. Community EMS Stations, more medics, training, etc.

With 10% unemployment, I'm happy you have a JOB. DC Fire/EMS has made GREAT STRIDES in combining EMS and Fire, They are in the process of taking all EMS personnel usually Medics, and making them pump operators/EMT-P's.... So they can be the "Medic/Engine".

What a joke. Instead of the NEW YORK Times, doing a study about DC, they should look no further than their own FDNY-EMS.... 13+ years since the merger, and we are no closer than the loftly goals that Mr. Rudy, talked about. Community EMS Stations, more medics, training, etc.

With 10% unemployment, I'm happy you have a JOB. DC Fire/EMS has made GREAT STRIDES in combining EMS and Fire, They are in the process of taking all EMS personnel usually Medics, and making them pump operators/EMT-P's.... So they can be the "Medic/Engine".

Don't they need to be FF 2 trained for this?

In 35 years as both fire and EMS I've come to learn that the real lifesaving work is EMS. In those same 35 years,the few people I've seen rescued by firefighters were actually saved by EMS

Anyone with EMS training knows this, however, what do people see on TV? A Big Red Truck, or a MVA surrounded by FF's. Then the FF's take the credit. We have even had situations here where we have had major road ttrauma, fire have agknowledged every other service but EMS, but stated the patient went to hospital.

We aim to minimise scene time, for patient benefit, they look to maximise scene time for their own publicity & perpetuation of the lies that they are the real hero's.

Don't they need to be FF 2 trained for this?

DC Fire/EMS is putting all EMS personnel thru their basic Fire Academy, so that they are truely a combined Dept. It isnt doing much to stem the tide of griping old timers that do not want to do EMS, but it is putting all personnel on equal footing for promotions, pay,jobs, etc.

I will start this by saying that I am full-time paramedic for a private ambulance service and I am also a full-time Firefighter/Paramedic for a union fire dept. In the vast majority of cities, townships and fire districts across Ohio it is almost impossible to get a full-time fire job without already being a Medic. If you are able to get job with out being a Paramedic you are required to become one with in 2 years. For the departments I belong to there is no animosity between fire and ems because we do both and it works great for us. I understand that it isn't this way for other parts of the country and it is unfortunate. Fire and EMS can work together flawlessly. And to those who are complaining about the fire department taking all the glory and credit from EMS you are doing the job for the WRONG REASONS!

• Like 1

And to those who are complaining about the fire department taking all the glory and credit from EMS you are doing the job for the WRONG REASONS!

I agree with that... but conversely, the Fire Service that is constantly trying to perpetuate their own ego, and hound all of the aforementioned glory, are also in it for the wrong reasons. I know many more fire fighters that got into it because they want to be "heroes" more than they want to actually help people. Anyone who gets into Fire/EMS because of some misplaced Hero-complex, should have not been allowed through the public safety door to begin with.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.