Karma bites the hypocrite

Lone Star

I agree, accident or not... it's still terrible. I'm sure this didn't happen on purpose, well at least pretty sure. People and their causes don't always mean they do what they preach. The dog was old, and had a lot of problems, so maybe it was their way of letting the dog die? But I sure hope not! Doesn't matter though, even if it were an accident, it's still wrong. A lot of "accidents" happen, and the person responsible still has to pay the piper for it. Saying "ooops I'm sorry, it was an accident", doesn't fly for other crimes.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, accident or not... it's still terrible. I'm sure this didn't happen on purpose, well at least pretty sure. People and their causes don't always mean they do what they preach. The dog was old, and had a lot of problems, so maybe it was their way of letting the dog die? But I sure hope not! Doesn't matter though, even if it were an accident, it's still wrong. A lot of "accidents" happen, and the person responsible still has to pay the piper for it. Saying "ooops I'm sorry, it was an accident", doesn't fly for other crimes.

I don't understand what type of piper needs to be paid? Isn't the pain and humiliation of the situation enough? I mean is was a dog... not a human. If it truly just some sort of freak accident without intent, then let it be. She doesn't need to be prosecuted for neglect or brought up on doggie-slaughter charges. The fact that she is going to have to live with what she did to her dog is enough for me. It appears the dog had a wonderful life... far better than most. I love my dog, but I wouldn't trade any of your lives for it. I hope I never lose that perspective, 'cause I think these activists and Peta members have.

oh, so it's alright for someone to accidentally kill someone/something... but only if they feel bad about it, gotchya!

I do not think he said that. I do not get the idea of putting her in front of the firing squad though. I mean, the irony of the situation is kind of amusing. For them to care for a 16 year old deaf and blind dog, they probably did not want to see the dog dead. Just guessing though.

I do not think he said that. I do not get the idea of putting her in front of the firing squad though. I mean, the irony of the situation is kind of amusing. For them to care for a 16 year old deaf and blind dog, they probably did not want to see the dog dead. Just guessing though.

Do you think this person would be or has been as 'forgiving' in other cases of animal neglect? Having read other news stories where something like this has happened, and seeing how the SPCA has pushed for jail time; why should this person get a 'free pass' because they 'feel absolutely devestated'?

If it's acceptable for the 'average joe pet owner' to face jail time, I think they should also face jail time, regardless of how 'dedicated' they are to 'the cause'!

Good point.. I'm sure if this happened to someone else, she would be so far up their ass about it she would fart out their breath mints.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because that is how she would have reacted, doesn't make it appropriate to react that way ourselves. It's not OK that she contributed to the Dog's demise, but there was no intent, and it was a dog... a very old dog that had a nice life previously... and this is just the silliest conversation I have ever had. She is going to punish herself more than we can punish her. Karmic retribution for her zealousness has been mete out... let's let her suffer in peace.

It is not OK to kill a human just because you feel bad about it... but an animal? We kill them all the time without feeling bad about it. Are you a meat eater? You can train a pig to do many of the same things that a dog can be trained to do... do you like bacon? Do you weep while eating your BLT? I know we all love our Dogs here...but they are animals... just like the ones you eat. So if you get all worked up over someone accidentally killing an animal.... then you should be enraged at the massive death that is caused on a daily basis to put meat on your table. Just because we have domesticated one species, doesn't mean that we have elevated it to human status... If we got bacon from a dog, we wouldn't cry as much over the dog's death.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Just because that is how she would have reacted, doesn't make it appropriate to react that way ourselves. It's not OK that she contributed to the Dog's demise, but there was no intent, and it was a dog... a very old dog that had a nice life previously... and this is just the silliest conversation I have ever had. She is going to punish herself more than we can punish her. Karmic retribution for her zealousness has been mete out... let's let her suffer in peace.

It is not OK to kill a human just because you feel bad about it... but an animal? We kill them all the time without feeling bad about it. Are you a meat eater? You can train a pig to do many of the same things that a dog can be trained to do... do you like bacon? Do you weep while eating your BLT? I know we all love our Dogs here...but they are animals... just like the ones you eat. So if you get all worked up over someone accidentally killing an animal.... then you should be enraged at the massive death that is caused on a daily basis to put meat on your table. Just because we have domesticated one species, doesn't mean that we have elevated it to human status... If we got bacon from a dog, we wouldn't cry as much over the dog's death.

It's not a matter of whether we weep more for the dog than we would over pork chops on the hoof. It's a matter of the whole issue that she pushed to elevate the domesticated animals to a status above the human. Then she ends up baking 'fido' because she took him/her/it to work with her.

She worked for an organization that pushed for jail time on situations JUST LIKE THIS; and yet we're supposed to just 'look the other way' because of who she is?

Just because she worked for the SPCA, doesn't give her a 'free pass' from the laws that affect everybody else. Neither will her 'feeling bad about it for the rest of her life'! She needs to face the SAME penalties that are imposed on any other schmuck that does this!

Sheer 'domestication of the species' isn't why we're saying that these fanatics are elevating them to human levels and above....it's the 'puppy psychologists' and the 'doggie spas'....wardrobes, etc that brings us to this.

As far as your 'bacon from the dog' analogy, there ARE some cultures where dog IS the 'main course'...

How is holding her to the same rules and laws that we must abide by 'wrong'?

As far as this being the 'silliest conversation you've ever participated in', look at the very 'silliness' you're putting into the conversation!

Furthermore, it's not a matter of 'intent', but a matter of NEGLIGENCE on her part that contributed to the dog's death. There have been MANY cases where just negligence on the part of a pet owner has landed them in jail for a few years....why should she be any different?

Why should we give this person a pass?

We are held to a higher standard when we are driving so she/he should be held to a higher standard when it comes to protecting animals.

It's like this, You don't give this person who fought for animal rights a pass. Just like you don't give a person who has fought for victim rights when they become a victimizer.

for example - a prosecuting attorney who fought for victims and put away many many bad guys for drunk driving. He one night goes out and hits a car headon because he had been drinking and driving. Some say he just had a couple too many and he made a error in judgement.

do we hold this person to a lesser standard since he had been a staunch supporter of accident victims rights, or do we hold him accountable to the same standard that he held everyone else in the community.