Florida Medical Director Pulls Certifications of 25 Paramedics

VentMedic

I tried to set up a account yet I never got the email on how to.

What I don't understand is this

You have requirements to perform your job. If you don't do those requirements then you lose your job or are disciplined.

These medics had ample opportunity to complete the requirements which by golly were so difficult to do and complete.

I'll bet that these firemedics never missed a single one of their recert or requirements for being a fire fighter.

Unfortunately Dr. Tober will be out soon. There's just too much opposition against him. The fire union and fire department holds too much power in any city.

Screw the patient care, if it makes the fire department look bad then Heaven have mercy.

We all know what needed to be done but the fire department has a pretty good PR machine. They can spin this to the detriment of the medical director and to the benefit of the fire department.

Let me put it this way. In many areas, the FD is a long established entity that has essentially been in charge of itself, which explains the arrogance of some departments. The national standards they adopt are set by fellow fire personnel, they police themelves, and until now they have been able to operate with impunity. Until relatively recently, they have had no independent oversight, but with the advent of EMS, they now have a new "master" - an outsider who demands accountability and adherence to standards. This does not sit well with the old guard and a battle has been brewing for control. That is why there is such resistance to establishing EMS as a separate entity. Not only do they lose total control over a significant portion of their operations, but they must comply with regulations they may not understand, nor do they care about.

Obviously this is a generalization and there are many progressive departments that have embraced EMS, but many of the largest organizations still have an old school mindset. If anyone knows about organizational culture, it explains a lot.

Forward thinking departments and leaders DO understand this paradigm shift and have used it to their advantage. Sadly, they are still in the minority.

The union issue is another facet of this, but the problems dovetail into this issue since most FD's are organized and operate under a collective bargaining agreement.

Unions and their CBA's are used to being the final word in how a department is run. The issues that arise from EMS transcend a contract.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coming from a family of firefighters this issue and the total bastardisation of EMS (not specifically but more-toward ALS) within the fire-service makes me really angry .... it's not doing good things for my blood pressure.

FAIL on the IAFF, FAIL on the departments in general, FAIL on the community for not really understanding this usse and FAIL on the State for allowing such piss poor service provision!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, So we have the Medical Director doing his job, the Fire Department in an uproar because they don't like the way he supposed to do his job, the FD union throwing their weight around, the council cowering underneath their desks, Firefighters not keeping up on their skills, the public potentially suffering the consequences, cats fighting dogs, mass hysteria...............

Question......What in the State EMS Bureau/Department doing about this? Are they involved in any investigation? Should they be? Oh yeah, State of Florida. This could come down to a recount.

Fire the FF/Medics, retain the Medical Director, kick the Councils Butts, and what is the true public opinion?

This piece of crap paper still has not posted my response. And Lone I did not find yours either.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2009/aug/25/collier-ems-director-pulls-certification-25-parame/

My response is about half way down on the page marked 51-100.

I will call Mamma Char tomarrow and ask her if she knows anything new for you guys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.