Opinions: Medic Refuses Intercept

Barring that, I promise that I would do everything in my power to make sure that provider would be punished to the fullest extent allowable by the system policies.

Please clarify if you are referring to the individual, or their employer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-4 mg IF THE BP WILL SUPPORT IT is the "recommended" dose of morphine for any MI. For an inferior you would want to get the BP up first, give the NTG and ASA, and then Morphine (if the BP is still above 90 to 110 depending on your protocol) The patient needs to reduce the oxygen demand on the heart and morphine will do that.

I believe it is all relative dependant on your protocols and your assessment and decision making skills based on what you have. CP patient's with true cardiac problems may also benefit with ASA, and NTG/MS admin dependant on clincal findings. We have had good success in relieving CP with administering NTG followed by immediate MS, creating less demand on the myocardium. (this is all relative again to hemodynamic stability)

New member chiming in.

I am an NREMT-P registered with the national registry and licenesed in the state of Arkansas to provide Emergency Medical Care.

I have a problem with the statement made by this poster. First off we are all Basics. First and foremost we are EMT's some of us just have a few extra letters behind our name. I find it hard to believe that you never made a mistake in your career. Don't knock the basics because you have the god syndrome and think you are better than them. If it weren't for emt's there would be no medics it is just a stepping stone you know.

I'm just wondering where the "god syndrome" comment is coming from or is even warranted? I agree with Dustdevil, Bad start!

Taking the OP at face value ... does anyone else smell ass burning ?

A very similar event occurred in the UK news as of late .... the Medic is now asking would you like chips with that battered fish, mind you tips in the pub do add up and the hours are better ... nuff said.

As for MS of 4mgs, hard to say without actually having patient contact, body mass and degree of pain will help guide you mobey :thumbsup:

I know off topic but with a patient in severe pain I have frequently given 5 mgs IV and then 5 mgs IM (not advised with cardiac) due to fact can screw up labs enzymes, but then WE are dealing with longer transport times MCIs and ERs that are less than optimal in treating trauma, say like in FT MDs in rural AB :devilish:

That said I have given 25 mgs of MS total in a 1 hour period with a foot fracture with dislocation (sans MD advice)that was in a King Air 200 @ 23 G, no contact with any medical control btw but kudos from receiving Orthopod, make the patient comfortable (I quote)I was very concerned that post reduction the ER staff would be looking for narcan, but that did not occur.

Look to the patient when you treat the pain, not the protocol, but baby steps are not a bad way to do it until one gets a good handle on dosing. Heck the equinanalgesic dosing of 2.5 mgs MS is equal to 3.75 of Percocet and 10 mgs of that don't even touch my back pain on a bad day.

cheers

If it weren't for emt's there would be no medics it is just a stepping stone you know

And herein lies the problem, to reiterate when will EMS everywhere stop this nonsense .. ever hear of an any other profession in medicine adopting this "attitude" of the "stepping stone"?

Conclusion: If there was a Paramedic on the initial truck, would there be any controversy ?

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.