Chopper Down

Niftymedi911

flickr or photobucket, insert link :)

Ah I cant get into photo bucket and Kinda off topic anyway.

So Night VRF operations, no flight plan filed, single pilot and 2 needed to use night vision glasses in case of flash then a BS IFR approach using an auto pilot within 800 ft ASL ? hell in bad weather at 500 ft here and no visual its time to "go around" and its not rocket science why they hit the water ... just damn luck no one died.

She also stated she thought she "pulled power and cyclic" when she saw the water; again BS pilot flew directly into the drink !

cheers

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why, as a matter of fact.... :lol:

Were you out at Moldyhole? I was at the 21st from 97-00. ( I only ask 'cause your Login makes me suspicious :devilish: )

Wow! You're the first person to ever catch the significance of my screen name! I was with the 21st at Nakhon Phanom in '75. Old school. Those 53s were still pretty new when I was in them. Never had the pleasure of Moldyhole, haha.

Edited by Dustdevil

Helicopters ARE inherently more dangerous than fixed wings. While the aerodynamics are "sound" they have more ways to screw up (F/W can only stall in one direction, helos can stall in several).

v/r

Geoff

Care to elaborate on this???

Airplanes create lift because of the pressure is greater on the bottom of the wing than the top. With forwards movement and the air pushing up on the wings, they will take off. Helicopters create their own lift with the rotor blades. I won't get into details of the different types of rotors, but there are 3 different types I believe. Anyway, the rotors spin rapidly, and the blades articulate use of the collective. This will create the "lift" the helicopter needs to take off depending on which direction they move. Lift is propotional to the amount of power given to the aircraft, and the angle it is facing. Also, the blades spinning creates a lot of torque on the aircraft, which will ALWAYS make it want to spin out of control, hence the tail rotor (thanks Igor). This is counteracted by using, yes, the "anti-toruqe" pedals.

Hope you enjoyed my lame tutorial on how helicopters fly :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.